News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: My Nephew Wanted to Go to Morehouse College. He's Going to the University of...  (Read 869 times)

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
...Alabama. We Just Lost One, One.

Which brings me back to my nephew. When we started having college conversations we talked (and I talked with his mother about) his college choices. He was going to apply to Morehouse and Howard University, the University of Alabama, the University of Alabama-Birmingham and Tuskegee University, among others. He did what he was supposed to do. His GPA was 3.8. He took his ACT (even took it the final time on the day of Morehouse College’s homecoming tailgate during the morning and came out to see the experience in the afternoon) and got a 30. He’s a state-qualifying track athlete.
https://verysmartbrothas.theroot.com/my-nephew-wanted-to-go-to-morehouse-college-hes-going-1842486209?
July 4, 1881 - A Great Day in History...

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.” - Neil Gaiman

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Interesting
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
At roughly $50,000 a year, you truly have to ask yourself the question: Is potentially owing almost $100,000 in student loans (assuming your grades are good enough to get the maximum $25,000 per year that Morehouse can provide and you stay on campus all four years) worth it to attend Morehouse?

No.

Also you arent keeping that max 25k scholarship. They'll always find a reason to decrease the amount they give you.

2x I had mine decreased to help out "other" lower income students in the name of community. I heard that went to give admin bigger bonuses(What I heard...I am not able to 100% confirm this). What I did see however was everybody getting more and more loans and everybody graduating in debt.

Im 30 and am still paying these loans. I cant afford a wife,kids, or a house the way other 30 year olds can.

Let my experience be an example to every other kid.
Going 100k in debt for an undergrad degree is a BAD choice.
Picking Morehouse/Any other Private non IVY school for undergrad when your parents are not rich WILL set you back a decade.

If you are rich already? Go ahead. Have mommy and daddy foot the bill, but you dont know what a 5,6,7 hundred dollar a month student loan bill will do to your life. If you can spend less than 50k getting a degree, which most in state schools will afford you, then do that. It will put you so far ahead in life.

Mamba blood forever.

Offline cee dog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
White colleges and universities are using funding from the government to get black students. The lawsuit money given to HBCUs in these southern states were just a front for this to happen. When white folks give black Peta dollar you better keep your good eye on them to see where the other dollar is going.
"Bulldog for Life"

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
Shoot....my twins get 3-4 emails per week from BAMA trying to entice them...

Here’s one from today....

Given the recent changes in travel and the opportunity to gather in large groups, we wanted to continue giving students and families ways to learn about UA Early College, even outside of regular school events and visits.

We invite you to join us for one of our 30-minute Zoom sessions hosted this Thursday, March 26! Click the link below for the time that works best in your schedule and log on to learn more about this premier academic program available to high school students around the world.

UAEC Info Session via Zoom - 10:00 AM (Central Time)
Click to join!

UAEC Info Session via Zoom - 12:00 PM (Central Time)
Click to join!

UAEC Info Session via Zoom - 2:00 PM (Central Time)
Click to join!

We hope to see you online soon to learn more about your opportunity to earn college credit while in high school through The University of Alabama!

UA Early College
The University of Alabama
earlycollege@ua.edu | 205-348-7083

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Shoot....my twins get 3-4 emails per week from BAMA trying to entice them...

Here’s one from today....

Given the recent changes in travel and the opportunity to gather in large groups, we wanted to continue giving students and families ways to learn about UA Early College, even outside of regular school events and visits.

We invite you to join us for one of our 30-minute Zoom sessions hosted this Thursday, March 26! Click the link below for the time that works best in your schedule and log on to learn more about this premier academic program available to high school students around the world.

UAEC Info Session via Zoom - 10:00 AM (Central Time)
Click to join!

UAEC Info Session via Zoom - 12:00 PM (Central Time)
Click to join!

UAEC Info Session via Zoom - 2:00 PM (Central Time)
Click to join!

We hope to see you online soon to learn more about your opportunity to earn college credit while in high school through The University of Alabama!

UA Early College
The University of Alabama
earlycollege@ua.edu | 205-348-7083

What are HBCUs doing for your twins?
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
I have had several relative who attended Bama. Outside of football , they rarely talk about their day to day experience going their. :shrug:

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Thank you for bringing this issue up. Some 31 years ago, my son would only answer feelers from Morehouse and Hampton. He had been in schools with a white majority all of his life and I wondered why, but never asked him. He choose Morehouse which offered him nothing financially. For the next four years, he would ask me "dad arn't you proud of me, I choose your alma mata and you never encouraged me do do so. Naturally I answered yes son, I am very proud you. What I was thinking is he could go to NCCU for four years  for what Morehouse is costing me for one.

Before you eagles jump on me, I always considered NCCU to be good school. He finished with honors and was on the honor roll every semester. I remembered reading of athletes at Georgia Tech being given academic scholarships and coming off their athletic scholarships for making good grades. I had expected that Morehouse would do something like that and they never did. A white colleague had said to me in the beginning, "you are a Morehouse graduate, your brother is a Morehouse graduate, your uncle is a Morehouse graduate, Morehouse is not going to give your son a scholarship." "They know that you will kill yourself to keep him there". And he was correct.

More than that, over the years I have begun to wonder if it is a plan. Spelman College is loaded with applicants from smart young women from middle to upper middle class and above black families who can afford to pay. If one drops out for a better financial package from  another college, it really does not matter. And their in school and graduation rates remain very high as well as their academic standing. There may be fewer black males out there, but I really do believe that Spelman is the Morehouse model.

Offline Ivan

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Page
At roughly $50,000 a year, you truly have to ask yourself the question: Is potentially owing almost $100,000 in student loans (assuming your grades are good enough to get the maximum $25,000 per year that Morehouse can provide and you stay on campus all four years) worth it to attend Morehouse?

No.

Also you arent keeping that max 25k scholarship. They'll always find a reason to decrease the amount they give you.

2x I had mine decreased to help out "other" lower income students in the name of community. I heard that went to give admin bigger bonuses(What I heard...I am not able to 100% confirm this). What I did see however was everybody getting more and more loans and everybody graduating in debt.

Im 30 and am still paying these loans. I cant afford a wife,kids, or a house the way other 30 year olds can.

Let my experience be an example to every other kid.
Going 100k in debt for an undergrad degree is a BAD choice.
Picking Morehouse/Any other Private non IVY school for undergrad when your parents are not rich WILL set you back a decade.

If you are rich already? Go ahead. Have mommy and daddy foot the bill, but you dont know what a 5,6,7 hundred dollar a month student loan bill will do to your life. If you can spend less than 50k getting a degree, which most in state schools will afford you, then do that. It will put you so far ahead in life.

Ya know, I really can't disagree with what Neymar is saying here. I wouldn't encourage anyone go into $100K in debt for an undergrad degree.............................even from my alma mater. I am the chair of the recruiting committee for the Greater Los Angeles Morehouse Alumni Association and I must admit, it IS hard to justify to parents why a student should go into that much debt. One thing I will admit, when Walter Massey was the president this wasn't as big of a problem as it is now. Although I didn't particularly like him as the president he has been THE BEST president we've had the past 25 years at raising money for the school.................which resulted in more scholarship money being available. President Thomas has yet to display that skill.............although it's still early.

Two things I think the school should do.................

1. We are a tuition dependent institution. Raise the enrollment back up to around 3,000 students, like it was when I was there.

2. Get rid of the ridiculous requirement that you have to spend your first three years living on campus. I thought that was a bad idea when Wilson instituted it, and it has resulted in many students not being able to afford to attend, and many of the students graduating with much more debt, as Neymar has stated.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 11:32:52 AM by Ivan »
I am now on Facebook! Come check me out...
 http://www.facebook.com/people/Ivan-Guillory/1249473291

SIAC All Sports Champions - 1990, ‘91, ‘92, ‘00, ‘01, ‘02, ‘06, ‘08

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Ivan a few minutes ago, I emailed my son with the same comments that you made about both Presidents Thomas and Wilson. I never knew what the conflict was between Wilson and the
Previous head of the board of Trustees. I knew that President Wilson  had a son at Stanford while Board Chairman Davidson who lives in Pasadena, California, sent three sons and significant financial contributions to Morehouse.  The Atlanta Constitution-Journal called the three year campus rule a money making scheme. I think that Spelman has that requirement also. I am not certain. I know they have always required seniors to live on campus. President Thomas appears to be quite comfortable with that requirement however.

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
I simply don’t want to know the inflated loan amounts in today’s terms some of them dudes @ Skegee had. We had some cats that said were on the presidential plan, they proceeded President PAYTON when I got there. They pledged (one was KAψ and the other ΚΚΦ) in the mid 70’s, were still there when I got there in 82 and when I graduated in 87. And before y’all pile on, yeah, they were pursuing undergrad degrees.

Offline j1908

• Assistant GM
  • A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous
    • View Profile
^^^^^What?????
"I do not follow trails of candy. I am the candy

Offline Ivan

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Page
Ivan a few minutes ago, I emailed my son with the same comments that you made about both Presidents Thomas and Wilson. I never knew what the conflict was between Wilson and the
Previous head of the board of Trustees. I knew that President Wilson  had a son at Stanford while Board Chairman Davidson who lives in Pasadena, California, sent three sons and significant financial contributions to Morehouse.  The Atlanta Constitution-Journal called the three year campus rule a money making scheme. I think that Spelman has that requirement also. I am not certain. I know they have always required seniors to live on campus. President Thomas appears to be quite comfortable with that requirement however.

There's never been a requirement, to my knowledge, that SENIORS had to live on campus. I do remember that FRESHMEN did, however. I NEVER lived on campus myself because I transferred in to Morehouse from a community college. They didn't require that I or any other seniors had to stay on campus.

In regards to the residency rule.........................I do think at some point, Morehouse is gonna have to give that up. I think our pool of applicants is actually smaller than Spelman's. So, I don't see how that will be sustainable in the future.
I am now on Facebook! Come check me out...
 http://www.facebook.com/people/Ivan-Guillory/1249473291

SIAC All Sports Champions - 1990, ‘91, ‘92, ‘00, ‘01, ‘02, ‘06, ‘08

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • House Pride!
    • View Profile
Two things I think the school should do.................

1. We are a tuition dependent institution. Raise the enrollment back up to around 3,000 students, like it was when I was there.

2. Get rid of the ridiculous requirement that you have to spend your first three years living on campus. I thought that was a bad idea when Wilson instituted it, and it has resulted in many students not being able to afford to attend, and many of the students graduating with much more debt, as Neymar has stated.

Bruh been saying this ever since Dr.Franklin took enrollment back down to 2300-2600.  I think that I understand why he did it and the circumstances around it; its just never a smart move to LOWER enrollment especially for a SMALL PRIVATE HBCU. We were well OVER 3,000 students...close to 3500 if I recall.   ::)

AND THAT RIDICULOUS REQUIREMENT FOR everyone except upperclassmen to stay ON CAMPUS is pure bullchit. Heyal, I never stayed on campus. WHY should my dad pay for room and board when he was already paying for it AT HOME- ridiculous. And yeah, I call it a straight scam too.

Was never impressed with Wilson....I'm trying to reserve comments on Thomas and give him some time to turn it around......but....
  ::) :shrug:

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I was referring to seniors at Spelman, not seniors at Morehouse. That was one reason my sister chose to attend old Clark College and not Spelman.

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW=