News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: My Nephew Wanted to Go to Morehouse College. He's Going to the University of...  (Read 862 times)

Offline j1908

• Assistant GM
  • A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous
    • View Profile
For each parent and student, it has to be a very personal question. How much is each willing to sacrifice? The expense of the Ivies and the doors that they open are not questioned. On a national scale, the expenses of Morehouse College are not considered to be excessive . I quote: "Expenses are a little less than colleges it is compared with". It is only expensive compared with other HBCUs.
Morehouse is not the only HBCU that you can ask this about. Does it open enough doors to make it worth it?

NCSIACFAN, yes.............that is part of my spiel when I'm out recruiting for the college. My experience is that......1) Morehouse is not expensive when compared to other private liberal arts colleges. In fact, its on the cheaper side; 2) Yes, my experience is that the doors that were opened as a result of going to Morehouse, were worth it to me. Of course, when I went to Morehouse tuition was around $6,000, and by the time I graduated it was around $8,000 (not including room and board).

Yeah, CAU was around $9,000 per year for me in the 90s. Now, that my daughter is attending it's 4x as much.
"I do not follow trails of candy. I am the candy

Offline j1908

• Assistant GM
  • A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous
    • View Profile
Black folks spend thousands of dollars on clothes, cars, jewelery, shoes, nails, hair, gadgets, but when it comes to paying to go to a black college every excuse in the world comes out of black folks mouth. Snicker bars got issues.
This part^^^
"I do not follow trails of candy. I am the candy

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • House Pride!
    • View Profile
Howard is heading toward 75% female enrollment.  Black males just aren't  seeing education is large numbers as in years past. I dont have an answer but one needs to be found soon. :tiptoe:

:o  wooooaaaah!!!!  :o  I didn't know that B4L. You guys are about to catch up with Tennessee State and Clark AU... Both have overwhelming female enrollment, over 80% at this point.  Where are our young men?    :shrug:

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
Howard is heading toward 75% female enrollment.  Black males just aren't  seeing education is large numbers as in years past. I dont have an answer but one needs to be found soon. :tiptoe:

:o  wooooaaaah!!!!  :o  I didn't know that B4L. You guys are about to catch up with Tennessee State and Clark AU... Both have overwhelming female enrollment, over 80% at this point.  Where are our young men?    :shrug:

There is less stigma towards men to go into trades.

You can be a truck driver and make more than the average CAU grad.(Morehouse too honestly)

Mamba blood forever.

Offline Ivan

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Page
Howard University demographics by sex is 67% female and 33% male. Which means 2 female students to every male student on campus. Clark Atlanta is around 75% female and 25% male. Which is 3 female students to every male student. I have not seen numbers for any of our HBCUs in which student enrollment is 80% female and 20% male.
I am now on Facebook! Come check me out...
 http://www.facebook.com/people/Ivan-Guillory/1249473291

SIAC All Sports Champions - 1990, ‘91, ‘92, ‘00, ‘01, ‘02, ‘06, ‘08

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
Howard University demographics by sex is 67% female and 33% male. Which means 2 female students to every male student on campus. Clark Atlanta is around 75% female and 25% male. Which is 3 female students to every male student. I have not seen numbers for any of our HBCUs in which student enrollment is 80% female and 20% male.

Fisk University?
July 4, 1881 - A Great Day in History...

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.” - Neil Gaiman

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile

I was at an alumni meeting a few months ago when a school official had a data presentation with 73% female on the graph.They even spoke on official and unofficial methods  to boost male enrollment. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 12:32:51 PM by Bison 4 Life »

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile

I was at an alumni meeting a few months ago when a school official had a data presentation with 73% male on the graph.They even spoke on official and unofficial methods  to boost male enrollment. 

B4L -

That 73%,,,was that female or male @ HU?  All other previously present facts was that its female, not male. Thanks.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • House Pride!
    • View Profile

I was at an alumni meeting a few months ago when a school official had a data presentation with 73% male on the graph.
They even spoke on official and unofficial methods  to boost male enrollment.

I think many of our hbcu's need to engage in this topic of increasing male enrollment.

Offline Bearforlife

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I'm late to this discussion but I am going to offer some knowledge as someone who works in enrollment management as a profession. If you're a parent, print this and keep it for later:

1. There is scholarship money out there. It may not be at your particular institution, but it is out there. It is like any other thing. If you wait until you need it to look for it, you're already behind. In this article, the young man didn't look for scholarships until he was a senior accepted into school (ie. he needed it right then). By that time lots of deadlines have passed.

2. Start local with scholarships. Most NPHC organizations locally have scholarships. Most alumni associations can't beg students to apply for their scholarships. That church you and your granny have tithed at for 50 years...they probably have a scholarship too that no one applies for. UNCF, Thurgood Marshall, fastweb.com, scholly...make a profile as a junior and apply until it makes you sick. $500 or $1000 here and there WILL add up.

3. Most institutions have endowed scholarships that are not awarded until matriculation. I am sure the House is no different. Look on your school's website for endowed scholarships, award dates, etc. If you have a student in college now is the time to be applying for those.

4. Community College/ Technical School is cheap still. Most students can pay cash and work part time and get a bunch of credits out of the way. Keep in mind, once you step foot on a CC or Tech campus, your high school record no longer counts. You can't "start over" or forget you went if you don't do well.

5. There are lots of HBCUs....If you can't afford Morehouse and you live in Alabama, there are two state sponsored HBCUs in your state  :shrug:

Offline stephen

• Veteran
    • View Profile

Fisk University?

I can tell you (being very close to Fisk) that it has been 70% female for the better part of 20 years.  Perhaps the "canary in the coal mine" with regard to hbcu male enrollment? IJS...Fisk administration tried to openly recruit male students with a scholarship in which all you had to do was write a 500-word essay and yearly ran into trouble getting young men to apply.  High school counselors told Admissions that they knew plenty qualified (grades, test scores, service) males but NONE wanted to write the essay. This was in the aughts, I can't speak to what has been happening since 2010...

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I'm late to this discussion but I am going to offer some knowledge as someone who works in enrollment management as a profession. If you're a parent, print this and keep it for later:

1. There is scholarship money out there. It may not be at your particular institution, but it is out there. It is like any other thing. If you wait until you need it to look for it, you're already behind. In this article, the young man didn't look for scholarships until he was a senior accepted into school (ie. he needed it right then). By that time lots of deadlines have passed.

2. Start local with scholarships. Most NPHC organizations locally have scholarships. Most alumni associations can't beg students to apply for their scholarships. That church you and your granny have tithed at for 50 years...they probably have a scholarship too that no one applies for. UNCF, Thurgood Marshall, fastweb.com, scholly...make a profile as a junior and apply until it makes you sick. $500 or $1000 here and there WILL add up.

3. Most institutions have endowed scholarships that are not awarded until matriculation. I am sure the House is no different. Look on your school's website for endowed scholarships, award dates, etc. If you have a student in college now is the time to be applying for those.

4. Community College/ Technical School is cheap still. Most students can pay cash and work part time and get a bunch of credits out of the way. Keep in mind, once you step foot on a CC or Tech campus, your high school record no longer counts. You can't "start over" or forget you went if you don't do well.

5. There are lots of HBCUs....If you can't afford Morehouse and you live in Alabama, there are two state sponsored HBCUs in your state  :shrug:

Great info.  Thanks for posting.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile

Fisk University?

I can tell you (being very close to Fisk) that it has been 70% female for the better part of 20 years.  Perhaps the "canary in the coal mine" with regard to hbcu male enrollment? IJS...Fisk administration tried to openly recruit male students with a scholarship in which all you had to do was write a 500-word essay and yearly ran into trouble getting young men to apply.  High school counselors told Admissions that they knew plenty qualified (grades, test scores, service) males but NONE wanted to write the essay. This was in the aughts, I can't speak to what has been happening since 2010...

Thanks for my error it was definitely 73% female.

I'm going to let out a BGLO secret thats really not all that secret to dovetail on the quote about Fisk.

I'm just speaking from an Alpha perspective from the DMV .Its almost impossible to get young Black males to complete scholarship applications even if its totally online.We've had B&G balls where the winners were immigrants from Turkey, pakistan etc. They ( or their parents) did the legwork to fill out the application and they met all the grade criteria.
For some young Black males you literally have to track them down and hound them to fill it out.

I'm pretty sure this is a Gen Z thing but the hashtag #HU24 on social media looked like Spelman.Young males just are not seeing HBCU's as an option as in years past. :shrug:

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
I'm pretty sure this is a Gen Z thing but the hashtag #HU24 on social media looked like Spelman. Young males just are not seeing HBCU's as an option as in years past. :shrug:

Males are not seeing college as an option period. I work at a large PWI with a student enrollment of around 35% male.

July 4, 1881 - A Great Day in History...

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.” - Neil Gaiman

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Someone had better get it out there to them, what the Brit" said a few years ago. A college degree is the new credential to the American upper class. They don't have to like it. They have to live with it.

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW=