News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: HBCUs should boycott A&T  (Read 3288 times)

Offline FunCkMaster

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY
2017, 2013 & 2003 CIAA MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS
2019 and 2018 CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS
2019, 2018, 2016, 2015, 2009, 2002 CIAA North Division Football Champions

Offline B-more Eagle

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: HBCUs should boycott A&T
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2020, 03:00:36 PM »
I expected A&T to move to another conference, but I did not expect it to be the Big South.  I always wanted to see one of our better programs compete weekly with some of the best programs in FCS.   A&T scheduling North Dakota state this year, indicated to me that A&T wanted to play the best, and I was excited.

I expected them to join the CAA which is one of the better FCS conferences in the country.  When I saw they joined the BSC, I was totally disappointed.  :tongue2:

Offline NEIGHBORHOODSUPERSTAR

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2020, 04:47:44 PM »
I better not hear A&T moving to the Colonial Athletic Association.  In football, this conference spans from North Carolina to Maine.  As much noise has been made about reducing travel expenses, when you have teams in Maine, New Hampshire, and New York....you better not talk about joining that conference unless it's broken into a Northern and Southern Division.  TRAVEL COSTS - that was the buzz phrase repetitively mentioned behind one of our major reasons to move to the Big South.

Even in other sports, in the CAA, there is travel than spans all the way from Charleston, South Carolina (College of Charleston) to Boston, Massachusetts (Northeastern).   That's nuts :o

The CAA is a great conference, but based upon what has been pounded into our heads about one of the reasons behind our move from the MEAC, joining the CAA in the future would be hypocritical from a geographic landscape standpoint....

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2020, 05:24:18 PM »
I think that A&T's move to the Big South is such a sellout move that "ALL HBCUs" should boycott them. This is far bigger than some sport. They're saying that our sister MEAC schools ain't good enough, then want to keep playing some,just to make money to pay for them telling us to go to hell. They claim its the travel costs, but they won't travel 23 miles for a guaranteed sellout with WSSU. They also want to keep FAMU, and they are the furthest school away from their campus.
Some of you will think that it doesn't effect you, but it effects us all. We need to let them know that their are consequences for doing this move.

I'm asking all black people to boycott these fools. Even with their posts on this forum.

You act as if as though the A&T alums who post here are the ones who made the decision to switch conferences. I think you are being mean, for no dayum reason at all. :lol: :nod: :popcorn:

Four Aggies can protest at a food counter but they can't publicly protest their administration selling them out?

Online Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2020, 05:28:43 PM »
Well I’m not down to boycott NCAT.  Aggie supports travel well and if they are able to keep 3 HBCU opponents in rotation each season they will be fine. And  if they would like to play a home-and-home with Howard I am not opposed to it. Everyone keep talking about how they have to travel to  Georgia, NJ and Alabama. But these trips for football only and every other year saving major travel money with non-revenue sports. Let’s be honest the financial impact will be there.
If they can curtail a drop in attendance the impact will be felt.  If attendance drops off that may be a serious problem.
Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Online eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2020, 05:30:33 PM »
I understand 55 and I agree.  They bragging about, "We still can play a number of MEAC and HBCU teams.  Please...  Enjoy your new conference and schedule teams like them. :tongue2:
Problem is ya'll need them as much as they need you. So go ahead and boycott what is normally your biggest payday.  It's a good thing some you don't run your athletic departments, whew. :shrug: :tiptoe:

Why do you think we are so angry? :shrug:

The irony is that back in 2015 you advocated for nccu to leave the MEAC and join a playoff eligible conference such as the Big South. I respect that you may have changed your mind but doesn't this still make you a bit of a hypocrite for continuously throwing shade at us?

Why you call me out like that... :lol:  When we were moving up, Central did take a look at the Big South and I was all for it.  Thank God the powers that be went home to the MEAC.  I wasn't disappointed at all when the decision was made to join the MEAC.  My problem is not you guys leaving.  My problem is that you are leaving but still banking on playing MEAC teams. :shrug:   
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline B-more Eagle

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2020, 05:35:22 PM »
I expected A&T to move to another conference, but I did not expect it to be the Big South.  I always wanted to see one of our better programs compete weekly with some of the best programs in FCS.   A&T scheduling North Dakota state this year, indicated to me that A&T wanted to play the best, and I was excited.

I expected them to join the CAA which is one of the better FCS conferences in the country.  When I saw they joined the BSC, I was totally disappointed.  :tongue2:

To say it another way, A&T is to good for the BIG South.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2020, 05:35:38 PM »
I don't know about boycotting but I read over on the MEACFansZone forum some interesting comments by one particular poster named blaw0203. Below is an excerpt from blaw0203 to another poster.

https://meacfanszone.proboards.com/thread/37238/put-right-face

I don’t think Hilton is racist, but I do think he doesn’t fully value or appreciate HBCU culture, and that’s a deal breaker for me. I highly doubt a Black AD (let’s say Milton Overton), at a PWC (let’s say Kennesaw State), could convince them to leave a predominately White conference to join an HBCU conference, no matter the benefits. I highly doubt Hilton would even recommend that a PWC join an HBCU conference if he were AD at a PWC.

Black America is the only entity who’s always quick to give up what we have thinking the grass is somehow greener on the other side, when in reality, all we need is right before us.

Here is another

Definitely! Some argue that integration wreaked havoc on the black community and there still is a bit of apprehension there when dealing with such things.

I remember when New Destiny (a local Black mega church in the Orlando area) brought in Paula White as it’s interim Pastor after its founding Pastor Zachary Tim’s died. Many were disappointed when the board decided to make Paula White the permanent pastor instead of Tim’s ex-wife, and you still had many members there bragging about having Paula White as their pastor and how she routinely has TD Jakes come in to preach and is on tv, etc... Fast-forward to the present day, you have a white woman leading what ONCE was the biggest Black mega church in the Orlando area, and this same woman is Trumps “Spiritual advisor”. Those same once proud members have abandoned ship and their beloved New Destiny and all its assets are firmly in the grasp of Paula White. Meanwhile, Zachary Tim’s ex-wife worked hard and has built her own mega church from the ground UP that now has more members than New Destiny has today.

We have to protect our institutions in Black America whether it’s our neighborhoods facing gentrification, churches, colleges, even the black family structure! Any Rattler can tell you how vigilant we are concerning any decision made at FAMU in making sure it doesn’t aide FSU in their attempt to take what we have. I don’t know NCATs complete history, but can tell you those same feelings of protecting what ours is something we all have experienced. DTs post alluded to that.

I only hope both Hampton and NCAT are able to thrive in the Bug South and winter be duped into losing what’s theirs. Make no doubt about it, the Big South discussed race when adding them and whatever conclusion they came to in their heads didn’t include them losing anything, but gaining a lot! Hopefully those gains won’t cost Hampton and NCAT in the long run.

Hampton and NCAT are both fine HBCUs. They actually are two of our BEST HBCUs and that’s what’s so alarming about them going to the Big South. White America has always loved our BEST and went after it and historically we have always lost it in the long run. Like New Destiny, we aren’t eager to see our best passed off. We hope that doesn’t happen, but if it does, like Tims ex wife did, we will rebuild. The MEAC will be fine. We just don’t wanna lose a lot in the process.

He hit the nail smack dab on the head

Wow! You're right about that hitting the nail on the head. That's what I have been trying to say. After some of the comments from this forum, I was giving up hope for us brothers.

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2020, 05:48:38 PM »
NCCU IS NOT PLANNING TO BOYCOTT our rivals over the move to another conference.  (FACT)  All this foolish talk from those  groveling in past post for the opportunity to resume a game with the Aggies.   Ram55, ask your AD would she consider the thesis you proposed (HBCUs should boycott A&T) over a move not affecting your school nor your conference but having  an effect on your bottom line financially in athletics.    I can tell you in advance, leave this alone, let folks who are paid as charge' d affairs knowing all the figures of what's needed to succeed on that campus.  THERE WILL NOT BE A BOYCOTT IN DURHAM despite opinions expressed by the rest of this Fan Forum board concerning the move by the Chancellor and BOT at A&T.   Hilton is NOT your enemy, but charged by aforementioned with getting it done via marching orders to enhance financial benefits for A&T.    DONE DEAL !   That is what ADs do!  :( :(  Besides  this is no Civil Rights violation.    :brickwall:  A business move that hopefully work for Hampton and A&T. :shrug:       
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 05:52:52 PM by Thinkingaboutit »

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2020, 07:24:23 PM »
I'm all for integration in order to get equal and fair treatment, but when I think of equal and fair treatment, I see the so-called integration of this country's public schools.  In some cases, on paper the schools are integrated, but more segregated than ever behind the walls of those schools.  Somehow, public school systems have managed to segregate those classrooms where it counts. I hope this won't be the case for A&T. Using Black Wall Street as a perfect example, I still believe Black people can rise up and manage things themselves, providing that Whites don't physically attack us.  But we have to cut out all the foolishness and start thinking clearer. It's not hard to self-improve without the help others or their money.

Offline B-more Eagle

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2020, 07:58:23 PM »
I read a story on this board that the Big South is moving their Basketball tournament to Charlotte next year.  They have played their tournament on one of their campus for many years without any problems.  Who do they expect to draw the people to Charlotte to make money?  Who do they expect to draw fans to their home football games?  Maybe it is their newest member.  What do their newest member get out of this?

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2020, 08:34:31 PM »
I better not hear A&T moving to the Colonial Athletic Association.  In football, this conference spans from North Carolina to Maine.  As much noise has been made about reducing travel expenses, when you have teams in Maine, New Hampshire, and New York....you better not talk about joining that conference unless it's broken into a Northern and Southern Division.  TRAVEL COSTS - that was the buzz phrase repetitively mentioned behind one of our major reasons to move to the Big South.

Even in other sports, in the CAA, there is travel than spans all the way from Charleston, South Carolina (College of Charleston) to Boston, Massachusetts (Northeastern).   That's nuts :o

The CAA is a great conference, but based upon what has been pounded into our heads about one of the reasons behind our move from the MEAC, joining the CAA in the future would be hypocritical from a geographic landscape standpoint....

I honestly thought that if A&T made a conference move, it would be to go to the Southern Conference. Geographically, that would have made sense with Samford, West Carolina, Furman, Wofford, The Citadel, Chattanooga, ETSU, VMI and Mercer
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline The Truth

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://Yes
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2020, 08:37:13 PM »
Nothing to see here.
The Answer

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2020, 08:50:30 PM »
IMO, CAA is a way more competitive conference than the Big South.  Playing JMU annually would be a drastic step up.  IMO, they are like the third best football program in Virginia behind Virginia Tech and UVA.

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2020, 10:06:38 PM »

I would've been happy to have joined the SoCon, filling the void App state left behind.

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule