News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: HBCUs should boycott A&T  (Read 4207 times)

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: HBCUs should boycott A&T
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2020, 11:16:24 PM »
I think that A&T's move to the Big South is such a sellout move that "ALL HBCUs" should boycott them. This is far bigger than some sport. They're saying that our sister MEAC schools ain't good enough, then want to keep playing some,just to make money to pay for them telling us to go to hell. They claim its the travel costs, but they won't travel 23 miles for a guaranteed sellout with WSSU. They also want to keep FAMU, and they are the furthest school away from their campus.
Some of you will think that it doesn't effect you, but it effects us all. We need to let them know that their are consequences for doing this move.

I'm asking all black people to boycott these fools. Even with their posts on this forum.

You act as if as though the A&T alums who post here are the ones who made the decision to switch conferences. I think you are being mean, for no dayum reason at all. :lol: :nod: :popcorn:
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Online Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2020, 11:41:35 PM »
I understand 55 and I agree.  They bragging about, "We still can play a number of MEAC and HBCU teams.  Please...  Enjoy your new conference and schedule teams like them. :tongue2:
Problem is ya'll need them as much as they need you. So go ahead and boycott what is normally your biggest payday.  It's a good thing some you don't run your athletic departments, whew. :shrug: :tiptoe:

AAMU SIAC Championships 7, SWAC Championships 2 NCAA DII National Championships Men's Soccer '77 & '79, Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU National Championship 1

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2020, 12:46:32 AM »
I understand 55 and I agree.  They bragging about, "We still can play a number of MEAC and HBCU teams.  Please...  Enjoy your new conference and schedule teams like them. :tongue2:
Problem is ya'll need them as much as they need you. So go ahead and boycott what is normally your biggest payday.  It's a good thing some you don't run your athletic departments, whew. :shrug: :tiptoe:

Why do you think we are so angry? :shrug: 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline G-Ram

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2020, 05:56:17 AM »

Is it because it's not you leaving?

Online Decks

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2020, 07:19:11 AM »

The irony is that back in 2015 you advocated for nccu to leave the MEAC and join a playoff eligible conference such as the Big South. I respect that you may have changed your mind but doesn't this still make you a bit of a hypocrite for continuously throwing shade at us?

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2020, 07:35:47 AM »
I don't know about boycotting but I read over on the MEACFansZone forum some interesting comments by one particular poster named blaw0203. Below is an excerpt from blaw0203 to another poster.

https://meacfanszone.proboards.com/thread/37238/put-right-face

I don’t think Hilton is racist, but I do think he doesn’t fully value or appreciate HBCU culture, and that’s a deal breaker for me. I highly doubt a Black AD (let’s say Milton Overton), at a PWC (let’s say Kennesaw State), could convince them to leave a predominately White conference to join an HBCU conference, no matter the benefits. I highly doubt Hilton would even recommend that a PWC join an HBCU conference if he were AD at a PWC.

Black America is the only entity who’s always quick to give up what we have thinking the grass is somehow greener on the other side, when in reality, all we need is right before us.

Here is another

Definitely! Some argue that integration wreaked havoc on the black community and there still is a bit of apprehension there when dealing with such things.

I remember when New Destiny (a local Black mega church in the Orlando area) brought in Paula White as it’s interim Pastor after its founding Pastor Zachary Tim’s died. Many were disappointed when the board decided to make Paula White the permanent pastor instead of Tim’s ex-wife, and you still had many members there bragging about having Paula White as their pastor and how she routinely has TD Jakes come in to preach and is on tv, etc... Fast-forward to the present day, you have a white woman leading what ONCE was the biggest Black mega church in the Orlando area, and this same woman is Trumps “Spiritual advisor”. Those same once proud members have abandoned ship and their beloved New Destiny and all its assets are firmly in the grasp of Paula White. Meanwhile, Zachary Tim’s ex-wife worked hard and has built her own mega church from the ground UP that now has more members than New Destiny has today.

We have to protect our institutions in Black America whether it’s our neighborhoods facing gentrification, churches, colleges, even the black family structure! Any Rattler can tell you how vigilant we are concerning any decision made at FAMU in making sure it doesn’t aide FSU in their attempt to take what we have. I don’t know NCATs complete history, but can tell you those same feelings of protecting what ours is something we all have experienced. DTs post alluded to that.

I only hope both Hampton and NCAT are able to thrive in the Bug South and winter be duped into losing what’s theirs. Make no doubt about it, the Big South discussed race when adding them and whatever conclusion they came to in their heads didn’t include them losing anything, but gaining a lot! Hopefully those gains won’t cost Hampton and NCAT in the long run.

Hampton and NCAT are both fine HBCUs. They actually are two of our BEST HBCUs and that’s what’s so alarming about them going to the Big South. White America has always loved our BEST and went after it and historically we have always lost it in the long run. Like New Destiny, we aren’t eager to see our best passed off. We hope that doesn’t happen, but if it does, like Tims ex wife did, we will rebuild. The MEAC will be fine. We just don’t wanna lose a lot in the process.

He hit the nail smack dab on the head
BCFNC:1948,49,50,54,60,75,93,95,97,98,03
SWAC Champs: 1937,38,40,46,47,48,49,50,55,59,60,66,75,93,97,98,99,03,13
Bowl Appearances:11 record 8-3 Heritage Bowl 4 - 2

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2020, 09:44:05 AM »
I think that A&T's move to the Big South is such a sellout move that "ALL HBCUs" should boycott them. This is far bigger than some sport. They're saying that our sister MEAC schools ain't good enough, then want to keep playing some,just to make money to pay for them telling us to go to hell. They claim its the travel costs, but they won't travel 23 miles for a guaranteed sellout with WSSU. They also want to keep FAMU, and they are the furthest school away from their campus.
Some of you will think that it doesn't effect you, but it effects us all. We need to let them know that their are consequences for doing this move.

I'm asking all black people to boycott these fools. Even with their posts on this forum.

What a stupid a** post and thread.

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2020, 09:45:09 AM »

The irony is that back in 2015 you advocated for nccu to leave the MEAC and join a playoff eligible conference such as the Big South. I respect that you may have changed your mind but doesn't this still make you a bit of a hypocrite for continuously throwing shade at us?

:tiptoe:

Online Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2020, 10:06:45 AM »

Uh oh, school/church is out.  :lol:
AAMU SIAC Championships 7, SWAC Championships 2 NCAA DII National Championships Men's Soccer '77 & '79, Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU National Championship 1

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2020, 10:14:15 AM »
Well I’m not down to boycott NCAT.  Aggie supports travel well and if they are able to keep 3 HBCU opponents in rotation each season they will be fine. And  if they would like to play a home-and-home with Howard I am not opposed to it. Everyone keep talking about how they have to travel to  Georgia, NJ and Alabama. But these trips for football only and every other year saving major travel money with non-revenue sports. Let’s be honest the financial impact will be there.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2020, 10:42:28 AM »
Personally i have no room in this brain to approve RAM55 comments.  WSSU is in the CIAA which should be his major concern and drifting in others lanes    :no: . Now, WSSU  AD hasn't said a word about disapproving the actions of the BOT -Chancellor of NCA&T in making the move in their best interest to improve bottomline figures athletically .   That decision to move is above the AD's head unless asked by his superiors  to provide figures as to the pros and cons of such a move when they received the feeler.  Hilton, stepped in line as expected, per job descriptions - giving his best analysis which inevitably created all these pages of comments. Will NCCU continue to participate against A&T?.      :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:  Ram55 may further have his stakeholders looking sideways toward him relative to comments made on previous post.  Take a deep breathe and look at the bigger picture.   A&T already knows we will play games against them when convenient- jointly for the right price.  Maybe feelings, void of reasoning, with constituent schools alumni  resulted in some achieving goals to further their program and others ............ :shrug:   THINK!   The benjamins matters to all HBCU and who will take their place?  High minded thoughts pay no bills.     Congratulations on winning the CIAA MBB tournament :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:  Congratulations Cleo Hill Jr.   :clap: :clap: :clap:  Do you think it would bother A&T should you cancel a game with them?  There are plenty  PWI jumping to fill their open dates too.   :tiptoe:   Seeing other institutions struggling makes one wonder what can we do to improve and make it work for us all.  Corporate help is nonexistent with most HBCU because we are given a pittance of what PWI receive.

Please, grow a brain before you make another useless post.
All HBCUs can find reasons to abandon our conferences to join PWC. What effect would that have on our culture? Think beyond sports.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 10:48:59 AM by Ram55 »

Offline NEIGHBORHOODSUPERSTAR

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2020, 12:31:28 PM »
Ram55,
I don't disagree with a lot of what you've stated.  I still hate the move to the Big South; I understand why it was made, but I really don't care for it.  Personally, I'm not even convinced the Big South is going to be around in another 10 years.  From travel costs, to fellow institutions struggling financially, to accreditation/academic issues.....I get it; some of our fellow MEAC schools are struggling.  Does that mean we should bolt for the Big South - I'm not so convinced about it, but I have no other choice to go along with it (for now).

I can't speak for anyone else, but I feel a personal way about still scheduling our MEAC brethren.  I still feel there is a "why buy the cow when you can still get the milk for free" mentality when it comes to A&T picking which MEAC schools they'll choose to play.

We'll play FAMU, but won't play Bethune....
We'll play Central, but won't play Norfolk....
We'll play SCSU, but won't play Del St....

To me, I just don't like the way we're approaching this.  Even though Aggies may think this is cool, to be honest, if you were on the other side of this....you'd be saying "Who do these condescending negroes think they are? They don't want to be around with us anymore, but still want to pop in every now and then when it's convenient for THEM."

That's why I was the one who started the thread on MEACfanszone.  I know money talks, but I still don't like the attitude of scheduling those MEAC schools who we deem are "good enough" to still compete against while leaving other MEAC schools off......and some of those schools are ones who actually may need our visible profile on their campuses more than those whom we are likely to schedule. 

....and to be honest, I see a lot of "Delaware State's" in the Big South more than I see "FAMU's or Central's."  What I mean by that is that the buzz from weekend to weekend on who we'll be playing will likely not be anywhere close to where it is now. 

Don't think that every Aggie is doing the "Big South 2-step."  This was not and is still not a popular move to many Aggies.....irrespective of what some may say on this and other sites.

Again, I'm going along with it.  If it works, I'll say the Chancellor and the A&T BOT are geniuses.  If it doesn't work, they will be excoriated by me (and likely others), with their job statuses also needing to be put into question.  I'm hoping for the former, even though I don't believe the Big South is some remarkable step up (((now I will say this - their profile in many of our eyes may not be as great as the MEAC, but their athletic competition IS BETTER))).

This is still a tough decision that I still have not come to 100% grips with.  I may never come to 100% grips with it.  We'll see how the future unfolds.....

By the way, congrats to the Rams on winning the CIAA title yesterday. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 12:34:20 PM by NEIGHBORHOODSUPERSTAR »

Online Decks

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2020, 12:44:17 PM »
Ram55,
I don't disagree with a lot of what you've stated.  I still hate the move to the Big South; I understand why it was made, but I really don't care for it.  Personally, I'm not even convinced the Big South is going to be around in another 10 years.  From travel costs, to fellow institutions struggling financially, to accreditation/academic issues.....I get it; some of our fellow MEAC schools are struggling.  Does that mean we should bolt for the Big South - I'm not so convinced about it, but I have no other choice to go along with it (for now).

I can't speak for anyone else, but I feel a personal way about still scheduling our MEAC brethren.  I still feel there is a "why buy the cow when you can still get the milk for free" mentality when it comes to A&T picking which MEAC schools they'll choose to play.

We'll play FAMU, but won't play Bethune....
We'll play Central, but won't play Norfolk....
We'll play SCSU, but won't play Del St....

To me, I just don't like the way we're approaching this.  Even though Aggies may think this is cool, to be honest, if you were on the other side of this....you'd be saying "Who do these condescending negroes think they are? They don't want to be around with us anymore, but still want to pop in every now and then when it's convenient for THEM."

That's why I was the one who started the thread on MEACfanszone.  I know money talks, but I still don't like the attitude of scheduling those MEAC schools who we deem are "good enough" to still compete against while leaving other MEAC schools off......and some of those schools are ones who actually may need our visible profile on their campuses more than those whom we are likely to schedule. 

....and to be honest, I see a lot of "Delaware State's" in the Big South more than I see "FAMU's or Central's."  What I mean by that is that the buzz from weekend to weekend on who we'll be playing will likely not be anywhere close to where it is now. 

Don't think that every Aggie is doing the "Big South 2-step."  This was not and is still not a popular move to many Aggies.....irrespective of what some may say on this and other sites.

Again, I'm going along with it.  If it works, I'll say the Chancellor and the A&T BOT are geniuses.  If it doesn't work, they will be excoriated by me (and likely others), with their job statuses also needing to be put into question.  I'm hoping for the former, even though I don't believe the Big South is some remarkable step up (((now I will say this - their profile in many of our eyes may not be as great as the MEAC, but their athletic competition IS BETTER))).

This is still a tough decision that I still have not come to 100% grips with.  I may never come to 100% grips with it.  We'll see how the future unfolds.....

By the way, congrats to the Rams on winning the CIAA title yesterday.

Overall I also do not consider the BSC a step up. Lateral move in my mind. Even though the AD told me twice over the last 5 years this move was under consideration  I would have preferred to remain in the MEAC. The conference has some major issues and travel expenses is at the forefront. I would like to think that we could have tried to use our influence to effect change...….or perhaps we did?   

Offline NEIGHBORHOODSUPERSTAR

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2020, 01:08:05 PM »
It is a move up with respect to sports....I honestly cannot get up on here and say that the MEAC is better than the Big South in the revenue sports.  I'm not saying it's by a mile or even a foot.....but I do believe the Big South has better athletic competition across mostly all sports, including the major ones (football/basketball).

Does that mean this was a good move - NO. 

We need to re-visit this in another 5-6 years to see what the early returns are.  I don't care what side Aggies fall on with this one.....there has to be some trepidation by all concerning this move.  We really don't know how this move will impact us down the road.  :shrug:

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2020, 01:22:48 PM »
boycott a&t?  that's ridiculous.  but if it would force my alma mater to return to the meac, then i'm all for it because i "desperately" do not want to leave the meac!  i luv the meac, i luv the rivals and relationships that we have fostered amongst our fellow hbcu's in the meac for 50 years now and hate to see that go away.

hey, when hampton first left the meac for the bsc, they had a lot of trouble scheduling meac teams and they "publicly" stated so.  so in a sense, hampton actually got boycotted by meac schools but it didn't work.  shortly afterwards hampton was able to schedule their 2 biggest meac rivals in norfolk state and howard.

so a boycott won't work.  but as an aggie who is "kicking and screaming" like a spoiled brat not to leave the meac, i'm open for other suggestions to force us back to the meac...