News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: HBCUs should boycott A&T  (Read 4083 times)

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
HBCUs should boycott A&T
« on: February 29, 2020, 07:35:20 AM »
I think that A&T's move to the Big South is such a sellout move that "ALL HBCUs" should boycott them. This is far bigger than some sport. They're saying that our sister MEAC schools ain't good enough, then want to keep playing some,just to make money to pay for them telling us to go to hell. They claim its the travel costs, but they won't travel 23 miles for a guaranteed sellout with WSSU. They also want to keep FAMU, and they are the furthest school away from their campus.
Some of you will think that it doesn't effect you, but it effects us all. We need to let them know that their are consequences for doing this move.

I'm asking all black people to boycott these fools. Even with their posts on this forum.

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: HBCUs should boycott A&T
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 08:10:37 AM »
 :o  :o...............WHOA!!.......WTF is THIS^^^post all about?  :shrug:

Look, no doubt your humble poster and others don't think leaving MEAC is a particularly prudent move by the Aggies. And, YES!, the conference WILL suffer as a result of the Aggies' withdrawing. But to condemn them to all eternity is a tad over-the-top, don't you think?

It seems to me you are taking your personal beef about your perceived diss by A&T against your school, and are encouraging the rest of us to join in. Naah, homie, that's a "regional" conflict you have with the largest HBCU in the Tar Heel.

Look, your humble poster gets a kick out of f'ing with the Aggies on this board because of their frustration about not defeating FAMU as much as they would like. But A&T is a fine school and football program and I wish them all the best!

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 08:46:43 AM »
:o  :o...............WHOA!!.......WTF is THIS^^^post all about?  :shrug:

Look, no doubt your humble poster and others don't think leaving MEAC is a particularly prudent move by the Aggies. And, YES!, the conference WILL suffer as a result of the Aggies' withdrawing. But to condemn them to all eternity is a tad over-the-top, don't you think?

It seems to me you are taking your personal beef about your perceived diss by A&T against your school, and are encouraging the rest of us to join in. Naah, homie, that's a "regional" conflict you have with the largest HBCU in the Tar Heel.

Look, your humble poster gets a kick out of f'ing with the Aggies on this board because of their frustration about not defeating FAMU as much as they would like. But A&T is a fine school and football program and I wish them all the best!

Trust me when I say this has nothing to do with them not playing us. That is, as you say, a regional conflict. However, their move is far larger than sports. When our largest school tells the rest of us that we're not good enough, or that we're too black is huge. We all are family. I would bet that half of the students on A&T campus wouldn't be accepted at most of the Big South  schools. Nothing has changed in America where we don't need to support each other. Now ask yourself, how would you're life have been without the association of other HBCUs? What about our children after us?

My HBCU education tells me that some things are worth fighting for.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 08:49:49 AM by Ram55 »

Offline Jaimac

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 10:59:40 AM »
"The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically.  Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education."

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

~Martin Luther King,

Offline G-Ram

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 11:14:34 AM »
   ^^^ :lmao:

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 11:41:40 AM »
Wow!!! :o
July 4, 1881 - A Great Day in History...

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.” - Neil Gaiman

Offline Oldschool

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 11:54:54 AM »
I think that A&T's move to the Big South is such a sellout move that "ALL HBCUs" should boycott them. This is far bigger than some sport. They're saying that our sister MEAC schools ain't good enough, then want to keep playing some,just to make money to pay for them telling us to go to hell. They claim its the travel costs, but they won't travel 23 miles for a guaranteed sellout with WSSU. They also want to keep FAMU, and they are the furthest school away from their campus.
Some of you will think that it doesn't effect you, but it effects us all. We need to let them know that their are consequences for doing this move.

I'm asking all black people to boycott these fools. Even with their posts on this forum.

So if A&T offered WSSU $60,000 to come to Greensboro for a game ,you are saying your school shouldn't take the offer ?

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 12:43:15 PM »
???

Not sure I understand 55..

Teeny and Little

Offline B-more Eagle

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 01:14:23 PM »
The move to the big south had nothing to do with travel cost.  They will be required to travel to N.J., Ga, and Al. for football in the big south.  But I hear that A&T is saying they still want to play Fl A&M.  Being required to travel to Fl A&M is the reason they are leaving the MEAC.  So, A&T is leaving the MEAC for another reason.  A&T either wants to play for a National Championship or using this move as a path to the FBS level. 
A&T does not want to play WSSU, because of A&T’s goals. A&T cannot afford a lost to a D-II program.  This is the reason why Hampton canceled their game with WSSU this year, and A&T will not go to WSSU.  WSSU is not your average   D-II program, and will find a way to beat A&T. 
A&T does not play WSSU, because they think that they are better than WSSU.  A&T does not play WSSU, because they know that they are not any better than they are.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 04:30:12 PM by B-more Eagle »

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2020, 01:25:56 PM »
I don't know about boycotting but I read over on the MEACFansZone forum some interesting comments by one particular poster named blaw0203. Below is an excerpt from blaw0203 to another poster.

https://meacfanszone.proboards.com/thread/37238/put-right-face

I don’t think Hilton is racist, but I do think he doesn’t fully value or appreciate HBCU culture, and that’s a deal breaker for me. I highly doubt a Black AD (let’s say Milton Overton), at a PWC (let’s say Kennesaw State), could convince them to leave a predominately White conference to join an HBCU conference, no matter the benefits. I highly doubt Hilton would even recommend that a PWC join an HBCU conference if he were AD at a PWC.

Black America is the only entity who’s always quick to give up what we have thinking the grass is somehow greener on the other side, when in reality, all we need is right before us.

Here is another

Definitely! Some argue that integration wreaked havoc on the black community and there still is a bit of apprehension there when dealing with such things.

I remember when New Destiny (a local Black mega church in the Orlando area) brought in Paula White as it’s interim Pastor after its founding Pastor Zachary Tim’s died. Many were disappointed when the board decided to make Paula White the permanent pastor instead of Tim’s ex-wife, and you still had many members there bragging about having Paula White as their pastor and how she routinely has TD Jakes come in to preach and is on tv, etc... Fast-forward to the present day, you have a white woman leading what ONCE was the biggest Black mega church in the Orlando area, and this same woman is Trumps “Spiritual advisor”. Those same once proud members have abandoned ship and their beloved New Destiny and all its assets are firmly in the grasp of Paula White. Meanwhile, Zachary Tim’s ex-wife worked hard and has built her own mega church from the ground UP that now has more members than New Destiny has today.

We have to protect our institutions in Black America whether it’s our neighborhoods facing gentrification, churches, colleges, even the black family structure! Any Rattler can tell you how vigilant we are concerning any decision made at FAMU in making sure it doesn’t aide FSU in their attempt to take what we have. I don’t know NCATs complete history, but can tell you those same feelings of protecting what ours is something we all have experienced. DTs post alluded to that.

I only hope both Hampton and NCAT are able to thrive in the Bug South and winter be duped into losing what’s theirs. Make no doubt about it, the Big South discussed race when adding them and whatever conclusion they came to in their heads didn’t include them losing anything, but gaining a lot! Hopefully those gains won’t cost Hampton and NCAT in the long run.

Hampton and NCAT are both fine HBCUs. They actually are two of our BEST HBCUs and that’s what’s so alarming about them going to the Big South. White America has always loved our BEST and went after it and historically we have always lost it in the long run. Like New Destiny, we aren’t eager to see our best passed off. We hope that doesn’t happen, but if it does, like Tims ex wife did, we will rebuild. The MEAC will be fine. We just don’t wanna lose a lot in the process.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
― Isaac Asimov

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2020, 02:46:24 PM »

:lol: I was thinking the same thing. I fault no school for doing what they think is in their best interest just like it was in WSSU and SSU's best interest to drop back to D2 or Stillman best interest to drop to NAIA or Tenn State for going to the OVC or Hampton to go to the Big South.  If they like it I love it.
AAMU SIAC Championships 7, SWAC Championships 1 NCAA DII National Championships Men's Soccer '77 & '79, Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93.

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2020, 05:13:54 PM »
I understand 55 and I agree.  They bragging about, "We still can play a number of MEAC and HBCU teams.  Please...  Enjoy your new conference and schedule teams like them. :tongue2:
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline BrotherWiregrass

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2020, 06:42:35 PM »
Eventually,  we should all want better as black people. Why should our schools keep being sacrificial lambs for PWIs? If you are just fine with showing up, and not "showing out." We will keep seeing the same results  in sports for our schools.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2020, 07:08:10 PM »
Like i said earlier, my plea to HBCUs has nothing to do with A&T not wanting to play WSSU. It appears they don't want to play any HBCU. Let's not forget why we exist. And our existence is only possible when we support each other. Nothing has changed in this country to where we can stand alone. A&T might not need us, but we need them. When we see schools that look like us and have similar struggles we feel better about ourselves, we excel. So please think beyond the sports. Let's lead instead of always being lead.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 07:10:16 PM by Ram55 »

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2020, 11:04:38 PM »
Personally i have no room in this brain to approve RAM55 comments.  WSSU is in the CIAA which should be his major concern and drifting in others lanes    :no: . Now, WSSU  AD hasn't said a word about disapproving the actions of the BOT -Chancellor of NCA&T in making the move in their best interest to improve bottomline figures athletically .   That decision to move is above the AD's head unless asked by his superiors  to provide figures as to the pros and cons of such a move when they received the feeler.  Hilton, stepped in line as expected, per job descriptions - giving his best analysis which inevitably created all these pages of comments. Will NCCU continue to participate against A&T?.      :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:  Ram55 may further have his stakeholders looking sideways toward him relative to comments made on previous post.  Take a deep breathe and look at the bigger picture.   A&T already knows we will play games against them when convenient- jointly for the right price.  Maybe feelings, void of reasoning, with constituent schools alumni  resulted in some achieving goals to further their program and others ............ :shrug:   THINK!   The benjamins matters to all HBCU and who will take their place?  High minded thoughts pay no bills.     Congratulations on winning the CIAA MBB tournament :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:  Congratulations Cleo Hill Jr.   :clap: :clap: :clap:  Do you think it would bother A&T should you cancel a game with them?  There are plenty  PWI jumping to fill their open dates too.   :tiptoe:   Seeing other institutions struggling makes one wonder what can we do to improve and make it work for us all.  Corporate help is nonexistent with most HBCU because we are given a pittance of what PWI receive.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 11:19:20 PM by Thinkingaboutit »

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule