News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Tuskegee Morehouse Classic set to Move from Columbus to Birmingham  (Read 640 times)

Offline Olde Hornet

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Tuskegee Morehouse Classic set to Move from Columbus to Birmingham
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2020, 11:46:50 AM »
Interesting move. 
Olde Bama State Spirit!
Alabama State University

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2020, 01:51:00 PM »
I think that the crowd in Columbus has always been Tuskegee. I believe that was true when my uncle was playing for Morehouse at the start of World War II. I think that it is a question of proximity. People forget that we are both just small private D11's because we always rank high nationally in attendence with both schools having ranked number one nationally, this past year Morehouse and more frequently Tuskegee. There is a different dynamic with the Fountain City Classic. Would FVSU and ASU do well in Atlanta? Yes, but why take the risk. The game is great for central Georgia and may go over 40,000 with Morehouse and Tuskegee gone.

Question: Will those Atlanta peeps drive two hours to Birmingham when they would not drive a similar distance to Columbus? I don't believe that they will. It is the size of the city of Atlanta that makes small college athletic classics feasible. Case in point. The SIAC basketball tournament will be played this year in a gymnasium in Rock Hill, South Carolina seating 1,200. The conference is clearly saying "that fits our needs".

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2020, 02:53:38 PM »
Da'House fan base for away games is very VERY small.  :shrug:   
The Skegee-House Classic in Birmingham will never get the numbers of the MCC, sad to say. :no: I actually prefer the game in the smaller venue of McClung Stadium in Columbus. Our side in Legion field will look like ants inside of an nfl stadium  ;D  Just stating what we all already know. And unfortunately, OUR students really do not care about the Skegee-House Classic unlike A&M and State's students who definitely show up for the MCC. Even our alumni barely show up for it.

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2020, 03:24:11 PM »
Da'House fan base for away games is very VERY small.  :shrug:   
The Skegee-House Classic in Birmingham will never get the numbers of the MCC, sad to say. :no: I actually prefer the game in the smaller venue of McClung Stadium in Columbus. Our side in Legion field will look like ants inside of an nfl stadium  ;D  Just stating what we all already know. And unfortunately, OUR students really do not care about the Skegee-House Classic unlike A&M and State's students who definitely show up for the MCC. Even our alumni barely show up for it.

I don’t think they’re expecting to get MCC numbers - nobody in their right mind would think that - they’re just looking for a nice payday. 

I thought Morehouse traveled pretty decently.  Didn’t realize that.

But you know what they say - start winning consistently and they’ll flock there and stay.
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2020, 03:45:41 PM »

It will be interesting to see.

Offline Utopia

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2020, 05:46:44 PM »
If the game moves to Birmingham, it will most likely be played at the new $174 million dollar stadium (Protective Stadium) in downtown Birmingham.  The estimated completion date of the 45,000-seat stadium is the 2021 football season.  The stadium is part of a 300 million renovation of the BJCC.
)112 SIAC Titles; Elite 8 Men's Basketball '14; SIAC Softball Champs '14, '15 & "16; NCAA WBB Title Game '82; NCAA Football Playoffs, '13, '14 , '15  & '16; 31 SIAC Football Titles; 8 HBCU Football National Titles; Only HBCU with 600 football wins (692); 7 USA Olympians-'48, '52, '56, '60

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2020, 07:03:02 PM »
I am not certain that we have 20,000 graduates total living or dead. If one forth of them showed up at one game, you would have have 5,000 max. Even when losing, they do well at home in both basketball and football and especially in football lately. 25,700 for homecoming in 2019, there is not more that you can ask.

Offline SkegeeFAMU

• Assistant GM
  • Trustee Chairman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youniquegreekpara.com
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2020, 05:14:41 PM »
The problem with Columbus is that the modern day student who largely grew up in larger metro areas don’t get excited about going to a game there. Columbus doesn’t have the same appeal to Tuskegee / Morehouse students and alums that it does to Albany St. and Ft. Valley State students/ alums for obvious reasons.

Skegee-Morehouse really needs to be a home and home game, period, end of discussion!!!  If Skegee plays in Birmingham, then it needs to be a SWAC opponent like AAMU, Southern, JSU, Grambling. If the game is in Atlanta, then it leans more to a MEAC opponent like FAMU, Howard, or SCSU.  A&T and TnSU would also be good possibilities for Atlanta.
Tuskegee University- Continuing the Relentless Pursuit of Excellence!!

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2020, 06:36:08 PM »
They need to stay in Columbus, Georgia. It's no need to move the game to Birmingham.
This ^^^ makes absolutely no sense to me.  If Birmingham offers better incentives/pay and they will be playing in a modern climate controlled dome facility it makes perfect sense to move.  :shrug:
Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2020, 10:02:13 AM »
The problem with Columbus is that the modern day student who largely grew up in larger metro areas don’t get excited about going to a game there. Columbus doesn’t have the same appeal to Tuskegee / Morehouse students and alums that it does to Albany St. and Ft. Valley State students/ alums for obvious reasons.

Skegee-Morehouse really needs to be a home and home game, period, end of discussion!!!  If Skegee plays in Birmingham, then it needs to be a SWAC opponent like AAMU, Southern, JSU, Grambling. If the game is in Atlanta, then it leans more to a MEAC opponent like FAMU, Howard, or SCSU.  A&T and TnSU would also be good possibilities for Atlanta.

All 4 schools have a significant amount of students that grew up in larger metropolitan areas.  :shrug: Is that why it’s more appealing in your estimation?  Or is it that they have more students from locations where football isn’t a thing?

FVSU and ASU students find Columbus exciting because the atmosphere is electric.    Tailgaters extend from the Civic Center all the way back to the back of Victory Drive, vendors, people partying and having a great time, a game between two heated rivals - they make it a party whenever the two match up.

You put FVSU vs CAU, ASU vs Miles etc in Columbus it wouldn’t be as appealing to every one.

The draw is the natural rivalry not the location per se.  Move FV vs Albany to Atlanta you’d still get  great numbers.   Just doesn’t make sense to  move it that’s all. - especially  not that dull  behind Benz  stadium. 

Offline G-Ram

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2020, 02:34:18 PM »
 - especially  not that dull  behind Benz  stadium.
[/quote]

Stop trying to put that Voodoo that You do on Mercedes Benz Stadium... :tiptoe:

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2020, 04:05:36 PM »
- especially  not that dull  behind Benz  stadium.

Stop trying to put that Voodoo that You do on Mercedes Benz Stadium... :tiptoe:
[/quote]

:lol:

I’m no witch,  I just know displacing an historic church - one that probably had graves around it that you probably didn’t move - isn’t the best idea :shrug:

Not my fault it’s dull and dreary. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 04:09:24 PM by Valley Girl »

Offline SkegeeFAMU

• Assistant GM
  • Trustee Chairman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youniquegreekpara.com
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2020, 05:39:25 PM »

All 4 schools have a significant amount of students that grew up in larger metropolitan areas.  :shrug: Is that why it’s more appealing in your estimation?  Or is it that they have more students from locations where football isn’t a thing?

FVSU and ASU students find Columbus exciting because the atmosphere is electric.    Tailgaters extend from the Civic Center all the way back to the back of Victory Drive, vendors, people partying and having a great time, a game between two heated rivals - they make it a party whenever the two match up.

You put FVSU vs CAU, ASU vs Miles etc in Columbus it wouldn’t be as appealing to every one.

The draw is the natural rivalry not the location per se.  Move FV vs Albany to Atlanta you’d still get  great numbers.   Just doesn’t make sense to  move it that’s all. - especially  not that dull  behind Benz  stadium.

Tuskegee and Spelhouse’s student bodies, and consequently, their alumni bases tend to be more national in origin than Albany or Fort Valley’s are. Most FVSU and AlbSU students are from GA, while Skegee and Spelhouse have a considerably larger percentage of their student bodies from outside of the Deep South. Also, Skegee and Spelhouse alums tend to be more spread out all over the country than AlbSU and FVSU alums, who tend to be more concentrated in GA and contiguous states.
Tuskegee University- Continuing the Relentless Pursuit of Excellence!!

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2020, 07:37:37 PM »
Those three schools and Howard have the "national" classification. I don't think that any other HBCU does. What that means is two-thirds of your student body comes from outside of both the state and region.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Yesterday at 07:32:22 AM »
that atmosphere at the FCC is always crunk. Gives me that instate rivalry feel of the MCC and both the Rams and Wildcats are present in full force.  I've been to a few of those with my cousin TJ [Albany State alum]. 

...but I digress.  If the Tiger fight is in Bham, so be it. Hell, thats only an hour and a half drive from my house off of I-20 so thats 2 trips to Bham:  Skegee-House classic and Magic City Classic.

Lets see what it do..shawtay  ;D

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News