News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Tuskegee Morehouse Classic set to Move from Columbus to Birmingham  (Read 980 times)

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
Whoa! I wonder why? 

Well Billy Goats looks like you and the Wildcats will be the only show in town from now on. 

https://www.wrbl.com/news/alabama-news/tuskegee-morehouse-classic-close-to-move-from-columbus-to-birmingham/

COLUMBUS, Ga. (WRBL) – The Granddaddy of all Historically Black College and University  football classics may be on its way out of Columbus.

The Tuskegee-Morehouse Classic has been played at A.J. McClung Memorial Stadium since 1936.

Multiple sources tell News 3 that Tuskegee and Morehouse are near a deal to move the game out of Columbus and to Birmingham, Ala. The Tuskegee-Morehouse committee has confirmed in a news release that it is looking for a new site
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 06:09:12 PM by Valley Girl »
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline G-Ram

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Tuskegee Morehouse Classic set to Move from Columbus to Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 06:22:54 PM »
And all this time I've been calling it The Morehouse-Tuskegee Classic... :tiptoe:

Offline Jaimac

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 07:04:20 PM »
Hmmm.....
Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

"If you are Pro-Life for an embryo, be Pro-Life for a fully developed Black man!"
~Torris Shingles~

"Never argue with someone that Harriet would have left behind."

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 12:11:59 AM »
I too wonder why? After 31,000 in Columbus in 2019, I do not see it.

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 12:30:31 AM »
I too wonder why? After 31,000 in Columbus in 2019, I do not see it.

My guess is Birmingham has offered a better incentive package.   It has potential to grow -  the location isn’t far from either school and Birmingham has shown they can accommodate crowds effectively as evidenced by the Magic City Classic.   Both schools can draw a crowd there, and they have a built in HBCU fanbase.   The casual fan that participates in the MCC festivities would probably come and see what the fuss is about with TU vs MH too - they’ll definitely participate in the parties, all of which can bring revenue to the economy.  Not as much as MCC, but it could be substantial.

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 06:44:22 AM »
VG -

All valid points but I do wonder aside from the heavily invested alumni and fan bases, how much of the local community will be invested in all of the activities? I know them local fools will show up and party, but that’s not directly benefitting the schools/programs. The promoters are getting rich off of that. The crowd at the Magic City Classic is something else. But I would be foolish to expect attendance anywhere near those epic numbers. Hell, it’s more folks outside than inside Legion Field. I got peeps who tailgate from Wednesday to Sunday and a few even sleep in their RV...note to self....I wouldn’t advise that even with Seal Team 6 stationed outside my camper....

But anywho, it’ll be interesting if this game is moved. I do wonder if the timing will stay the same with potential conflicts with high school football @ Legion too.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • #HBCUPride #HousePride #TigerPride
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 08:05:24 AM »
The MCC crowd still draws a lot of folks INSIDE Legion Field.

Attendance at the Skegee-House Classic honestly has been very lackluster this past decade and for Da'House side it has really dwindled to barely there.

I hope the move to Bham sparks a fire in the Maroon Tiger fans and draws more of them than Columbus did.

That will be up to US.  Tuskegee shows up regardless.

Offline cee dog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 08:13:31 AM »
Since Birmingham is building that new stadium it is a smart move. I think the stadium will sit 55k and it's a closed in stadium. It might work. Plus Birmingham Mayor is a Morehouse grad.
"Bulldog for Life"

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 08:22:30 AM »
VG -

All valid points but I do wonder aside from the heavily invested alumni and fan bases, how much of the local community will be invested in all of the activities? I know them local fools will show up and party, but that’s not directly benefitting the schools/programs. The promoters are getting rich off of that. The crowd at the Magic City Classic is something else. But I would be foolish to expect attendance anywhere near those epic numbers. Hell, it’s more folks outside than inside Legion Field. I got peeps who tailgate from Wednesday to Sunday and a few even sleep in their RV...note to self....I wouldn’t advise that even with Seal Team 6 stationed outside my camper....

But anywho, it’ll be interesting if this game is moved. I do wonder if the timing will stay the same with potential conflicts with high school football @ Legion too.

:nod:

The MCC is another monster altogether, but Birmingham might be betting not only on the HBCU fanbase showing up, but the locals partying which impacts the local economy which can be then passed on to the schools via an incentive package 🤷🏾‍♀️.

In addition to the high schools playing at Legion Field, will they keep it on the same weekend?   Will they make sure Miles has an away game that day?  That would cut into all 3 schools’  bottom lines.

Also is there another municipal city stadium in Birmingham?  Legion Field seems kind of big for this game - doesn’t it hold like 70,000 folks?

It’s a sensible gamble though.  :nod:

Columbus doesn’t have the same resources as Birmingham and probably couldn’t match the perks - that’s if they even tried.   They probably didn’t.

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 08:27:13 AM »
Since Birmingham is building that new stadium it is a smart move. I think the stadium will sit 55k and it's a closed in stadium. It might work. Plus Birmingham Mayor is a Morehouse grad.

Ok you just answered my last question.  Didn’t see this before I posted. 

It can work. 

If FVSU and ASU ever left Columbus we should just move to a home and home.  We are probably there for the long haul because it’s convenient and the crowds are huge for DII standards.   Guy from Columbus told us they love it when we come to town.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 08:59:32 AM »
VG, what do you think about the BillyGoats/Wildcats game being in the Mercedes Benz Stadium?

Offline BrotherWiregrass

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2020, 09:13:26 AM »
They need to stay in Columbus, Georgia. It's no need to move the game to Birmingham.

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 09:45:15 AM »
VG, what do you think about the BillyGoats/Wildcats game being in the Mercedes Benz Stadium?

Nope.  It we move it, we should just go back to home and home.

Atlanta is too busy trying to accommodate SWAC/MEAC Classics and the like.  They aren’t checking for us like that. 

Besides I HATE the Mercedes Benz Stadium.  Just dull and dreary.  God ain’t pleased with how they moved that church - and the graves weren’t moved I don’t think.

Naw - dead spirits lurking all around. Y’all can have it.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2020, 09:54:56 AM »
 :lmao:

:lol:

:lmao:

:lol:

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2020, 11:23:47 AM »
They need to stay in Columbus, Georgia. It's no need to move the game to Birmingham.

It hasn't been finalized yet.
Time will tell if this comes to pass.
I'm fine with it staying in Columbus

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News

Support Onnidan

Support the Fan Forum

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support.

The pandemic has financial consequences, especially for Black-owned businesses. Ad revenue is shrinking so we are asking you directly for your financial support. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan or process your donation through Square