News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: What will be best for the other MEAC schools?  (Read 3051 times)

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: What will be best for the other MEAC schools?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2020, 10:48:20 PM »
You better think quick.

https://www.aseaofred.com/asun-commissioner-ted-gumbart-further-explains-leagues-plan/?fbclid=IwAR1L1QhGFKdUsVD8yB0Qd-WPrTUIsOxJh67A9U4Gm7BgdJ5dxIQJVT0pVt8

If NCCU is interested in this, hopefully, they would share this idea with us and we don't find out on social media like a lot of aggies did.  Why the big secret? 

Also, current MEAC should continue as is.  The way some people are responding, it seems that some are happy that we are going though this.  :shrug:

Most alumni would say heck no to leaving the MEAC for the Big South or any other FCS conference. Hell, we all have alumni that wished we were back in the CIAA.

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2020, 11:13:51 PM »
You better think quick.

https://www.aseaofred.com/asun-commissioner-ted-gumbart-further-explains-leagues-plan/?fbclid=IwAR1L1QhGFKdUsVD8yB0Qd-WPrTUIsOxJh67A9U4Gm7BgdJ5dxIQJVT0pVt8

If NCCU is interested in this, hopefully, they would share this idea with us and we don't find out on social media like a lot of aggies did.  Why the big secret? 

Also, current MEAC should continue as is.  The way some people are responding, it seems that some are happy that we are going though this.  :shrug:
I just realized that this is the beginning of a FCS realignment. The MEAC doesn't want to get caught on the outside trying to find members.
I'm not happy with the move. I'm just trying to understand it.

I'm a lifetime CIAA and MEAC fan. I don't know how this looks in 2021.

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2020, 11:27:54 PM »
The conference could mandate a reduction in scholarships in football that could make the conference more attractive financially. The NEC has a scholarship maximum in place for football and The Pioneer League doesn’t offer scholarships at all, along with the Ivy League.
And just where did you get this information from?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Offline Oldschoolram

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2020, 11:46:30 PM »
Not specifically on here, well here too, it's good to see intelligent discourse among the Aggie faithful.

Obviously the MEAC is going to have to re-think how it does business to some degree. I think they should stay with it, and not even worry about recruiting new membership. 

As for the travel issue, all the schools have to do it sooooooo, while it makes sense on the surface, I think it's a convenient excuse. Once the Florida schools were added, everyone knew what was going to happen.  BTW, A&T played FAMU every year/a lot when I was growing up.  I actually think the league has done a good job scheduling over the years. 

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2020, 02:38:33 AM »
You better think quick.

I just realized that this is the beginning of a FCS realignment. The MEAC doesn't want to get caught on the outside trying to find members.
I'm not happy with the move. I'm just trying to understand it.

I'm a lifetime CIAA and MEAC fan. I don't know how this looks in 2021.
Didn't I tell you that in an earlier post?

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2020, 07:26:22 AM »
The conference could mandate a reduction in scholarships in football that could make the conference more attractive financially. The NEC has a scholarship maximum in place for football and The Pioneer League doesn’t offer scholarships at all, along with the Ivy League.

To correct myself, it’s 45 the NEC offers, not 40 equivalents. This has been in effect since 2009 when they increased from 30 equivalents (lower than the D2 max).

Here’s one article where it’s spoken about: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.timesonline.com/85a99fc6-6e4a-11e7-878b-b7e25e918026.html%3ftemplate=ampart

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2020, 08:34:19 AM »
A&T moving was a shock to most in our conference particularly when measuring their success athletically in the past few years but more shocking was with whom they decided to associate.  That conference isn't a step up.  Take a look carefully.   Liberty and Coastal Carolina just left and A&T agreed to replace them   :shrug:  We all know the steady growth occurring in Greensboro on that campus. When I heard they may be considering a move, immediately another conference came to mind.  When told it may be the   Big South, I replied, ' they are better than that' .   :o    Talk about TV?   We have TV. I watched A&T games on my computer and streamed them to the TV. (MEAC)   NCCU games can be viewed on the tube.  Apple TV also carry the games (MEAC)  :shrug:.  When NCCU played Wofford and Gardner Webb I didn't see money nor an entertaining atmosphere on that turf.  Folk did't show up in droves excepting "US".  I think A&T will be pulling their cart and pushing it too with this group while erstwhile friends look to replace them.  A&T, a founding member of the MEAC will not  piper or destroy the remaining members into conference breakup nor influence NCCU to follow into a conference replete with private schools.  The MEAC is very good and will get even better with this loss. Looking at the returned outstanding leadership and pride at FAMU and growth at Bethune -who knows how high we may climb.  The MEAC is not in the doldrums by a long shot.  Things are changing every year with new proposals and benefits for FCS schools.  We will take opportunities presented that enhance our exposure and bottomline with the current conference .  We got the entertainment on Saturdays and they want it.   Our best coupled with their worst to improve THEM  :tiptoe:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 08:45:34 AM by Thinkingaboutit »

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2020, 09:10:54 AM »
The school that stands to lose the most from A&T stupid move is NCCU. They are in the state with the most HBCUs and now with no real rivals available. The closets thing to a rival is WSSU and we are in a lower division. They are truly on an island. Kind of like the island WSSU have been on since not playing both A&T and NCCU on regular home and home games. The interest of our fans went out the window when we stopped playing those teams in Winston. The same will be true for both A&T and NCCU.  Some schools need each other on their schedules to make the rest of the schedule remain relevant.   :nod:

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2020, 09:14:22 AM »
The school that stands to lose the most from A&T stupid move is NCCU. They are in the state with the most HBCUs and now with no real rivals available. The closets thing to a rival is WSSU and we are in a lower division. They are truly on an island. Kind of like the island WSSU have been on since not playing both A&T and NCCU on regular home and home games. The interest of our fans went out the window when we stopped playing those teams in Winston. The same will be true for both A&T and NCCU.  Some schools need each other on their schedules to make the rest of the schedule remain relevant.   :nod:

Rivals don't have to be in the same conference.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Warpaint

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2020, 09:16:35 AM »

Rivals don't have to be in the same conference.

Exactly, and without the conference scheduling requirements this could actually open the possibility for A&T and Central to start playing on labor day weekend again.

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2020, 10:02:52 AM »
I personally would love if Howard returned to the CIAA and CI could also snag Morehouse, Clark-Atlanta and even Tuskegee!

We left fifty years ago,why return? The CIAA of the 60's and prior is long gone.

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2020, 10:12:13 AM »
Financially the move will not affect our bottomline.  Only five teams play football in that conference. Like Hampton, A&T will have to drum up teams to fill that void.  Anytime NCCU-A&T meet on the gridiron translates to a good payday.  The end justifies the mean so we will play that game- however daunting.   Boycott talk is from those not involved and simply foolish.  With only 5 FB schools currently in that conference WSSU could possibly wiggle out a game in Greensboro.  You still want to boycott WSSU?   :tiptoe:.  I'm sure Etienne would get that one quicker than a New York minute.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2020, 11:48:52 AM »
Financially the move will not affect our bottomline.  Only five teams play football in that conference. Like Hampton, A&T will have to drum up teams to fill that void.  Anytime NCCU-A&T meet on the gridiron translates to a good payday.  The end justifies the mean so we will play that game- however daunting.   Boycott talk is from those not involved and simply foolish.  With only 5 FB schools currently in that conference WSSU could possibly wiggle out a game in Greensboro.  You still want to boycott WSSU?   :tiptoe:.  I'm sure Etienne would get that one quicker than a New York minute.
Again you are wrong. There are nine schools that play football in that coference. WSSU fans understand the betrayal form a&t, and will not support their need to exploit other HBCUs, just to have money to spend dating all those PWS. Dude, where's your HBCU Pride?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 11:54:03 AM by Ram55 »

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2020, 06:45:05 PM »

To correct myself, it’s 45 the NEC offers, not 40 equivalents. This has been in effect since 2009 when they increased from 30 equivalents (lower than the D2 max).

Here’s one article where it’s spoken about: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.timesonline.com/85a99fc6-6e4a-11e7-878b-b7e25e918026.html%3ftemplate=ampart
You do realize that eliminate any chance of playing any fbs schools for a payday?

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2020, 07:03:22 PM »
Again you are wrong. There are nine schools that play football in that coference. WSSU fans understand the betrayal form a&t, and will not support their need to exploit other HBCUs, just to have money to spend dating all those PWS. Dude, where's your HBCU Pride?

In what conference?

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News