News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Aggies to Announce on Friday that they are leaving the MEAC  (Read 16944 times)

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Aggies to Announce on Friday that they are leaving the MEAC
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2020, 02:17:42 PM »
NCAT is making the move that works for them, others will do the same.   If that means staying or switching conferences (PWI or HBCU).  This seems to be a well run university, I wish other HBCUs were run as well.   More HBCUs will close in this decade because of poor management and clinging to past instead of making moves that focus on the future.  :tiptoe:

I wish them the best and will continue to support them.   :clap: :clap: :clap:

That is exactly what black folk say to justify their moving to white neighborhoods, attend white colleges.... "Be damned with the rest of y'all, they treat us good over here. They got nice stores, nice dorms, pretty white women..."

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2020, 02:20:53 PM »
I'm trying to read to understand, but I am not finding answers.  Why haven't we, the alum, been shown this grand vision?  I don't see it. 

I teach.  I am a direct pipeline for resources and students to A&T.  I'd like to think I deserve a little more respect and insight.

I am not feeling this. 

I am seeking reasons why... 

I don't like it.

The AD gave the reason 5 years ago which were travel costs. In fact he gave a complete power point presentation on why we should leave the MEAC. Outside of the 3 associate members in football there will not be a drive over 4 hours which means virtually no overnight stays or planetrips for conference games.

You all agreed to that?  Got to be more to this. :shrug:  Sounds like sell-outs to me.  I mean, a school rooted in the civil rights movement is turning their backs on a black conference for a dollar.  :no:  #trumpsupportersconference

Somehow that Woolworth sit-in got the recognition, but Durham started the protest years earlier at Royal Ice Cream @ Dowd & North Roxboro.

Yeah, the people who start something seldom get the recognition.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2020, 02:34:55 PM »
We are making to big of deal over A&T leaving the MEAC.  When I moved to the DMV 45 years ago, A&T coming to HU, MSU, and DSU was the hottest ticket in town.  Now when A&T comes to town, nobody cares.  Last year A&T and MSU only had 2900 fans on a nice day.  NCCU and MSU had over 7600 fans.  WSSU had more fans than A&T at MSU when they were in the MEAC.  The last time A&T came to DSU, there was less than 2000 fans.  All the MEAC needs to do is help BCU and add WSSU. 

Besides if A&T really wanted to move up in status, they would have joined the CAA or SOCON.

Yeah, uh huh.

Those two conferences likely aren't offering an invite.  They want us individually to help their schools, not the other way around.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
― Isaac Asimov

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2020, 02:44:58 PM »
These comments have been interesting. A % T had been one of the few HBCU's that people had appeared to be hesitant to criticize. At least this time they got their fair share. So now let us do it to all when deserved and give praise when it is due.

The dangers to the MEAC is that the Florida schools are geographically closer to the SWAC than they are to the MEAC. Those two schools and South Carolina State who would move with them are well supported by their alumni and with better game attendance than the northern MEAC schools.

All of this is making the spread out SIAC seem better and better. As I have said before, I have stopped criticizing our Commissioner.

Offline EPJr

• Assistant GM
  • So Proud 2B a Panther; 2B a Union Panther
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2020, 03:33:09 PM »
I think this is a slap in black folks faces and a&t should be ashamed of themselves.  I wouldn't cry one tear if we stop playing them.
what about the slap in our black faces when y'all moved from the CIAA

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2020, 03:46:05 PM »
This was the CIAA conference in the 1960s.  I imagine the Division system kept travel down.  So now NC A&T would like to have its student-athletes back on campus at decent hour.  In order to get back what we had we have to join the Big South conference.  It's strange how things come full circle.  The MEAC and the SWAC may put too much travel on our student-athletes.  If A&T decides to go to the FBS level the travel time will only increase.  Don't forget where you came from.

Elizabeth City State University
Fayetteville State University
Johnson C. Smith University
Livingstone College
Saint Augustine's University
Shaw University
Virginia State University
Virginia Union University
Winston–Salem State University
Delaware State University
Hampton University
Howard University
University of Maryland Eastern Shore
Morgan State University   
Norfolk State University
North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University
North Carolina Central University
Saint Paul's College

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2020, 04:07:12 PM »
A&T did what was best for the Aggies. Why?  IDN.   One thing in their scheduling,  NCCU is and will remain there.  Those who say we shouldn't schedule games because of THEIR decision to change conferences - and for that reason only, doesn't wash my slate clean enough to feel WHAT? & WHY.   If money is there, so will we.  IDN all the particulars, but  having  good strong leadership coupled with a good athletic staff screams TAKE NOTICE, OR RETHINK WHERE WE ALL ARE.  Maybe a bad decision just happened , but I am hoping  NOT.  Wishing the best for our brothers and sisters up I85.  Their  call and business decision which I cannot knock,   The ripples resulting from this move - all over the conferences  in HBCUdom will have  a much greater significance  than Hamptons  departure.   Scheduling problems etc peeved some  but we got through that last minute OUT .

Offline Platinum_Sound

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2020, 04:24:50 PM »
I think this is a slap in black folks faces and a&t should be ashamed of themselves.  I wouldn't cry one tear if we stop playing them.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Shaw University - 61 CIAA Championships

2012 NCAA Women's Division II Basketball NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.

Shaw University Platinum Sound Marching Band 2008 Honda Battle of the Bands Participant.

Offline Platinum_Sound

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2020, 04:27:29 PM »
I imagine a move by the largest Historical BCU in the country having a ripple effect upon those still in the traditional setting mandated by laws and codes that created African Americans Colleges and Universities in the first place. Conferences are rethinking past faux pas and  A&T today would be a welcomed affiliate for conferences with similar sized schools in a few hours drive from East Greensboro. Increasing  local and regional corporate sponsorships in their athletic business model as a goal,
   A&T seemingly is treading in that direction.  Not smart enough to predict this outcome, hoping it doesn't end up with A&T pushing their cart and pulling it too on home and away games relative to revenue.  Schools love scheduling teams with a fan base that travels and the Aggies fit those expectations away from home but their future counterparts lack reciprocity on return trips.  Who knows what deals on the tube may await this move and newer ways of reaping revenue.    What I do like about those Aggies is not waiting and debating making a buck.  Beer and wine sales at games.   All of the others in conference formed a committee to look at the venture, then an AD HOC committee to look at the committee formed, then a wait a see what happens and maybe it will be taken up after meeting the the pastors in town, etc, etc.  Aggies sold it at football games this past fall and now at the basketball games.   MO MONEY.  I respect efforts from  capable staff and the leadership currently on Market Street.   

Those white folk are not going to travel Greensboro, so there won't be a bump in attendance. If anything Aggies will help build of those other schools coffers.

You're crazy if you think Campbell or Gardner Webb won't bring more folks than Delaware State or even Howard and Morgan.
Shaw University - 61 CIAA Championships

2012 NCAA Women's Division II Basketball NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.

Shaw University Platinum Sound Marching Band 2008 Honda Battle of the Bands Participant.

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2020, 04:47:46 PM »
Big South Football 2021
North Carolina A&T
Monmouth
Kennesaw State
Charleston Southern
Campbell
Gardner-Webb
Hampton
North Alabama

MEAC Football 2021 Season
South Carolina State
Bethune-Cookman
Norfolk State
North Carolina Central
Morgan State
Howard
Delaware State
Florida A&M

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2020, 04:52:39 PM »
Big South Basketball
Winthrop
Radford   
Hampton   
Charleston Southern
USC Upstate
Gardner-Webb   
High Point
UNC Asheville   
Longwood
Campbell
North Carolina A&T

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2020, 04:58:26 PM »

You do know that the MEAC Conference was started on our campus.  We just went back home. 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline EPJr

• Assistant GM
  • So Proud 2B a Panther; 2B a Union Panther
    • View Profile

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2020, 05:20:58 PM »
I see some of my Eagles wishing that our games with a&t will continue.  That's what a&t is telling their alumni, that the games with NCCU, FAMU and NSU will continue.  The problem is, there is no guarantee of that happening.  If I was the MEAC, I would encourage our schools not to play them, at least for a while.  You can't leave us and at the same time, want to still play us. :shrug: #blackball101

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule