News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Brown delivers during Blackout Night at Tuskegee  (Read 1459 times)

Offline MilesBear1

• Assistant GM
  • Mr.SIAC/Mr.SWAC
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MilesGoldenBears.com
Brown delivers during Blackout Night at Tuskegee
« on: January 22, 2020, 12:46:37 PM »
Brown delivers during blackout Night at Tuskegee
Spring Hill College
Next Game:
at Spring Hill College

1/20/2020 | 7:30 p.m.

Who needs the postal service when you know what Brown can do for you?

Miles junior guard Avery Brown delivered when his team needed it most on Saturday, scoring the game-winning basket as time expired to give the Golden Bears a 67-65 win over Tuskegee at Chappie James Arena. The win pulled Miles (11-3, 6-2) to within a half-game of the Golden Tigers (10-6, 7-2) in the SIAC Western Division standings and put an end to TU's seven-game win streak.

There was a bit of an ominous feel in the arena for the Golden Bears before the final play began. Miles had wasted a 12-point lead in the second half and Tuskegee had just tied the score at 65 on a fastbreak layup by James Eads with seven seconds remaining. The TU fans, like their players dressed in dark clothing for a "black out", were energized and worse - for Miles - was forward Frank Royles laying injured along the Miles baseline from the previous offensive possession.

But after Royles was helped to the bench and play resumed, it was all about Brown. He took the inbounds pass, dribbled up the left side of the court, and floated a 10-foot running jumper from outside the lane that fell through as the final horn sounded. The Miles bench leaped to its collective feet in exultation while the arena of Golden Tigers fans went silent, knowing the Golden Bears' were sending the blackout crowd home feeling blue.

Things moved slowly early for Miles but when Ryan Calhoun made his first appearance five minutes into the game, the Golden Bears caught fire. He scored 10 points in a 3-minute span to break open a tight game. When Jelani Watson-Gayle (8 points, 4 assists) scored with just under eight minutes left in the first half, Miles had opened a 28-19 advantage. The Golden Bears would not score for the final five minutes of the half but still shot over 52 percent from the field and went into the break with a 30-24 lead.

The Golden Bears wasted little time expanding the lead. Richard Feagin (7 points) and Watson-Gayle nailed 3-pointers on back-to-back possessions to start the second half, and Braeden Stewart got free for a dunk that gave Miles a 38-26 lead less than two minutes into the period. But from there, the game changed.

Tuskegee scored on five consecutive possessions over the next three minutes to cut its deficit to two points. Miles would keep the Golden Tigers at bay for a moment but when James Eads drained a 3-pointer with 7:49 to go, TU had grabbed a 52-49 lead. Miles would retake the lead, getting a 3-point play from Calhoun (who scored a career-high 17 points) to go ahead 59-54 with five minutes left.

Still, the Golden Tigers took the lead again less than three minutes later. But Miles fought back and drained six consecutive free throws, the last two coming from Feagin with 41 seconds left, to put the Golden Bears ahead 65-61. But Eads (23 points, 14 rebounds) would respond with two free throws on the other end and after Royles missed a layup on the other end, he scored the game-tying bucket that set up Brown's heroics.

DeShawn Millington (18 points) and Myles Thomas (14 points, 9 rebounds) were the only other players in double figures for Tuskegee. Brown had 17 points, 7 rebounds, and 3 assists and Stewart added 10 points and 3 steals for Miles, which travels to play Spring Hill on Monday. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.
"The Bears Den" and "The ASU Hornets Hive",WSSU Rams
"CME Bowl Champions for Life"
Steel City Classic Champions:01,02,03,05,06
2004 Alabama State University SWAC Champs
2007 Football Attendance Champs
2011,2013,2015,2018,19 SIAC West Div.FB Champs
2011,2015-19 SIAC FB Champs
2011 Pioneer Bowl

Offline ToUgh1881

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Brown delivers during Blackout Night at Tuskegee
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 03:12:10 PM »
MB1,

It is amazing how you present HALF the story to fit your narrative.  I am glad that Miles College has in recent years become a formidable foe athletically.  At Tuskegee, each and every contest has the same weighted average. Perhaps that is because we are accustomed to competitive play. I applaud the new resurgence of being competitive, just keep in mind that you win some and you lose some.  In the article posted today, it failed to mention that The Tigerettes defeated Miles Lady Bears that same blackout event. 

Ijs................... When  Miles isn’t victorious, there is never any mention of anything and you stay away as if you have been banned from the site. when Miles wins,  you are  on the prowl.  Congratulations on the split and know that on any given day, the ball can bounce either way.

Offline lew9ball

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://TU
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 03:21:24 PM »
MB1,

It is amazing how you present HALF the story to fit your narrative.  I am glad that Miles College has in recent years become a formidable foe athletically.  At Tuskegee, each and every contest has the same weighted average. Perhaps that is because we are accustomed to competitive play. I applaud the new resurgence of being competitive, just keep in mind that you win some and you lose some.  In the article posted today, it failed to mention that The Tigerettes defeated Miles Lady Bears that same blackout event. 

Ijs................... When  Miles isn’t victorious, there is never any mention of anything and you stay away as if you have been banned from the site. when Miles wins,  you are  on the prowl.  Congratulations on the split and know that on any given day, the ball can bounce either way.
Well stated ToUgh1881.. :nod: :nod:
"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else"
                       Booker T. Washington

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 03:30:18 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I love TU. It's a great school... one of our finest. But lately, Miles have been kicking the s**ttt out of the SIAC is sports... just saying.  :lol:

Offline MilesBear1

• Assistant GM
  • Mr.SIAC/Mr.SWAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 06:38:28 PM »
Right Rams 55.
2011 Pioneer Bowl

Offline MilesBear1

• Assistant GM
  • Mr.SIAC/Mr.SWAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 06:43:45 PM »
Facts Presented. :nod:

Lady Bears fail to close out Tuskegee
Spring Hill College
Next Game:
at Spring Hill College

1/20/2020 | 5:30 p.m.

TUSKEGEE, Ala. -- When Mya Millner scored in the paint and completed a 3-point play with 9:14 left in Miles' women's basketball tilt with Tuskegee, the Lady Bears held a 62-60 advantage in a game between the top two teams in the SIAC Western Division.

But from there, Miles would not make another shot from the field. An abysmal shooting performance in the final period cost the Lady Bears in a 77-68 loss to the Golden Tigers Saturday afternoon at Chappie James Arena. The loss was the second straight for Miles (9-5, 5-2 SIAC West), who saw its lead in the division shrink to just a half-game over Tuskegee (9-8, 5-3).

Miles would miss it last 14 shots from the field after the Millner (9 points, 4 rebounds) bucket. But it wasn't as if Tuskegee was knocking down shots all over the floor. The Golden Tigers made just 3-of-9 shots over the last 10 minutes. But they would live at the free throw line and made all those shots count, going 14-of-17 from the charity stripe to win going away.

The Lady Bears would actually have the first chance to make free throws the difference. After a technical foul was called against Tuskegee's Shelle Daniels, Sakina Wynn would convert on four straight free throws to give Miles a 66-63 lead with 8:11 to go. But after Kahyanne Bolton was called for a technical (the fifth technical foul between the two teams) with 4:42 left remaining, Normesha Pitts would make her four freebies to put the Golden Tigers up 69-66 and they would not trail again after closing the game on a 14-2 run.

Both teams battled through the first three quarters but Miles was never able to put Tuskegee in its rearview mirror. The Lady Bears led by one after the first quarter but the Golden Tigers cracked the game open in the second. With the score tied at 28, TU scored 10 consecutive points to put Miles in a big hole with two minutes left before halftime. But the Lady Bears would close the quarter on a nice run, with Jaylen Snipes scoring right before the horn to cut the halftime deficit to 38-37. Miles would jump back in front on two Millner free throws midway through the third quarter but it took a late basket by Wynn to send the Lady Bears into the final period with a 59-57 advantage.

Ashiala Jackson had 14 points and 10 rebounds while India Blakely (13 points) and Pitts (10 points) each scored in double figures for Tuskegee. Wynn had 21 points, 5 rebounds and 3 steals, Victoria Sutton added 10 points, and Raiana Johnson (game-high 12 rebounds) and Katrice Jackson (4 points, 5 rebounds, 3 blocks) patrolled the paint well for Miles, which travels to Spring Hill on Monday. Tip-off is scheduled for 5:30 p.m.
2011 Pioneer Bowl

Offline ToUgh1881

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 08:17:03 PM »
Facts

Miles College Athletic History

* Joined the SIAC in 1927 as the Golden Tornados, only to change to the Golden Bears
* Won 1st SIAC Championship in Womens Softball in 2009, some 82 years later.
* Won 1st Football Championship in 2011

Miles College has a Grand Total of eight (8) SIAC Championships

Tuskegee has a Grand Total of One hundred twelve (112) SIAC Championships

Lastly, over the last ten (10) years Tuskegee has nine (9)SIAC Championships, Miles has eight (8)

;D

Offline Grambling '93

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 07:21:38 AM »
Facts

Miles College Athletic History

* Joined the SIAC in 1927 as the Golden Tornados, only to change to the Golden Bears
* Won 1st SIAC Championship in Womens Softball in 2009, some 82 years later.
* Won 1st Football Championship in 2011

Miles College has a Grand Total of eight (8) SIAC Championships

Tuskegee has a Grand Total of One hundred twelve (112) SIAC Championships

Lastly, over the last ten (10) years Tuskegee has nine (9)SIAC Championships, Miles has eight (8)

;D

Now, now fellas...play nice  :lmao:
"LEAD, FOLLOW OR GET THE HELL OUT THE WAY"
http://www.gram.edu/
http://www.gsutigers.com/

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 03:17:42 PM »
Just a few years ago WSSU was playing for a National Championship. However, Right now we suck. Right now counts the most.

Offline ToUgh1881

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 03:41:48 PM »
I guess right now is important and  the approach if you are in to short term success. I prefer a sustainable program. We have won consistently throughout the decades as evidenced by our hardware.  I am not knocking Miles down, just stating FACTS.  9 is > 8

We are 1 victory shy of 700 football wins........ :tiptoe:  The ONLY HBCU with that resume

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 09:10:23 AM »
I guess right now is important and  the approach if you are in to short term success. I prefer a sustainable program. We have won consistently throughout the decades as evidenced by our hardware.  I am not knocking Miles down, just stating FACTS.  9 is > 8

We are 1 victory shy of 700 football wins........ :tiptoe:  The ONLY HBCU with that resume

No doubt ya'll have been fantastic both on and off the courts and fields. But you have to give Miles some credit. They have been pretty consistent the past few years. Their football team can play with any HBCU DII school and their basketball team ain't bad either. They do a lot with a little, much like all our private HBCUs. My hats off to both ya'll.

Offline MilesBear1

• Assistant GM
  • Mr.SIAC/Mr.SWAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 12:05:31 PM »
Tuskeegeans are great Historians but they know nothing of what's going on in the Present and the Future. Well I guess that you will be sitting at 699 victories for awhile now. :lol: And yes we have been a member of the SIAC for 93 Glorious Years from 1927-2020 thank you for pointing that out but time flies when you are having fun and we are looking forward to many more Glorious Years in this Historic Conference. :nod: And we are enjoying the Great Migration from Tuskegee to Fairfield. Thank You ;D :lol: :snicker :lmao:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 12:18:07 PM by MilesBear1 »
2011 Pioneer Bowl

Offline MilesBear1

• Assistant GM
  • Mr.SIAC/Mr.SWAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 12:30:09 PM »
I thank God for our 8 Championships there are some schools that don't have that. So I am very Grateful 8 is better than 0 any day. It shows that our Student-Athletes is understanding the philosophy of winning taught to them from their Coaches. :nod:
2011 Pioneer Bowl

Offline ToUgh1881

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2020, 06:43:06 PM »
Ram 55,
I agree with you. My original statement had everything to do with MB1’s post that gave only 50% of the narrative.
 Golden Tiger Nation knows that Miles is always in the bushes looking for that Tuskegee  factor.  :

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2020, 09:35:18 PM »
Ram 55,
I agree with you. My original statement had everything to do with MB1’s post that gave only 50% of the narrative.
 Golden Tiger Nation knows that Miles is always in the bushes looking for that Tuskegee  factor.  :

Don't get me wrong. I admire both ya'll schools. TU is the all time best HBCU in football. That speaks for itself. But right now Miles is taking names. I wish both schools were in the CIAA.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule