News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Carlisle, Pennsylvania.  (Read 355 times)

Offline BrotherWiregrass

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Carlisle, Pennsylvania.
« on: January 16, 2020, 07:01:59 PM »
Anybody on here familiar with the city? I love to visit Hanover Street, whenever I come into city.

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Carlisle, Pennsylvania.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 06:39:04 AM »
Molly Pitcher is buried there.  They have a huge Mopar show every summer.  I have family there.  I mostly see them in Middletown.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 09:53:31 AM »
???......::well, this is quite a revelation as I have never heard of this town in Pennsylvania.

Quite frankly, outside of Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and, perhaps Erie, I didn’t think there were any other areas of the Keystone state safe for negro travel.

;D

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • #HBCUPride #HousePride #TigerPride
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 10:48:53 AM »
*waiting on BroWiregrass to expound on this place*

*waiting on Y to say 'you need to get out more'*

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 05:00:10 PM »
I ATTENDED CLASSES AT THE U.S. ARMY WAR COLLEGE, THERE.  CARLISLE IS A GREAT PLACE FOR STUDY BECAUSE THERE IS PRACTICALLY NOTHING ELSE TO DO THERE.  VERY FEW DISTRACTIONS. :nod:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 05:02:33 PM by CIAA-FAN »
ONE OF MY NEW YEAR's RESOLUTIONS WAS NOT TO ENGAGE IN POLITICAL DISCOURSE WITH "SELF-DESCRIBED ASSHOLES" or "LIARS". I HOPE I AM ABLE TO CONTINUE TO KEEP IT. (Posted on Jan 6, 2020). https://www.capitaljazz.com/lounge/AND... "https://naaga.co/."

Offline BrotherWiregrass

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 05:51:09 PM »
*waiting on BroWiregrass to expound on this place*

*waiting on Y to say 'you need to get out more'*

It's a great town in my opinion. I been there a few times on last year for my job. Now, Hanover Street is the place to be during the summertime.

Brother, you should just visit the city during the summer.  :nod:

Offline BrotherWiregrass

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 05:57:02 PM »
???......::well, this is quite a revelation as I have never heard of this town in Pennsylvania.

Quite frankly, outside of Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and, perhaps Erie, I didn’t think there were any other areas of the Keystone state safe for negro travel.

;D

York, Pennsylvania is nice too. 

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 06:40:41 PM »
I went to attend some functions at the Army War College and couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Online CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 06:45:05 PM »
I live less than 20 minutes from Carlisle. A neat little town but wouldn’t live there. A little sports history on Carlisle. They won 4 straight PA basketball titles beginning in 1885. On those teams were Jeff Lebo who went on to play at North Carolina and was the head coach at Auburn, Lee Woodall who won a a Super Bowl with the 49ers and Mike and Billy Owens. Mike played briefly for KC and wore Jim Brown’s number at Syracuse. Bill had a long career in the NBA.

Back in those days, the Mid Penn Conference was a monster.

Online CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 06:53:48 PM »
I went to attend some functions at the Army War College and couldn't get out of there fast enough.

They’ve definitely had some racial issues and there isn’t much there. They do have the Whiskey Rebellion which is a neat place to eat.

Some more sports history, at one point I set the 55m indoor record at the Dickinson Invitational.  :nod:

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 09:29:07 PM »

;D

Pennsylvania isn't that bad.  Carlisle is probably better than Altoona.  If it wasn't for the AA baseball team The Curve there's nothing to do but drink or get high.

I never had any problems in Pennsylvania.  I worked in some hick towns. Mostly with white women. 

Online CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 09:54:41 PM »

;D

Come on Strike. While it is Pennsyltucky, Harrisburg is a decent place to live for black folks. Much better than my birth city of Erie.  :shrug:

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2020, 06:44:25 AM »

;D

Come on Strike. While it is Pennsyltucky, Harrisburg is a decent place to live for black folks. Much better than my birth city of Erie.  :shrug:

Harrisburg?  That's straight hood.  Middletown is much better.  My cousin use to be the mayor there. 

The only thing cool about Harrisburg is the parsonage of Wesley Union AME Zion Church.

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2020, 08:21:03 AM »

;D

:).......my dear brutha CU. Please accept my apologies, as I did not intend to disparage your home state with my previous comment. I was simply being silly and trying to have some fun. No doubt places like Carlisle, Harrisburg, Altoona, York and others are all lovely communities. And they all have their own unique charms.

About 20 years ago, then 10 yr old Ms. Strike and I drove from Nashville to Syracuse, NY, for our biennial family reunion. Forgotten the exact route I took, but it meant driving through a BROAD swath of the Keystone, mostly traversing communities that you and others collectively call “Pennsyltucky”.  :lol: No doubt, there were several times when a brutha was a tad apprehensive about stopping for gas, but never had a problem the entire trip.

Btw, CU, Wiregrass, y, et al, on the return trip back to Nashville we stopped in Hershey to visit the gift shop at the museum. There was not enough time to visit the theme park, but did rack up on chocolate. That was a pleasant experience as well.  :)

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2020, 02:07:27 PM »
PROBABLY THE BEST THING TO COME OUT, OF CARLISLE, PA WAS THE GREAT AMERICAN, JIM THORPE.  :nod:

HE WAS A GRADUATE OF THE CARLISLE INDIAN INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Thorpe
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 02:13:32 PM by CIAA-FAN »
ONE OF MY NEW YEAR's RESOLUTIONS WAS NOT TO ENGAGE IN POLITICAL DISCOURSE WITH "SELF-DESCRIBED ASSHOLES" or "LIARS". I HOPE I AM ABLE TO CONTINUE TO KEEP IT. (Posted on Jan 6, 2020). https://www.capitaljazz.com/lounge/AND... "https://naaga.co/."

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News

Support Onnidan

Support the Fan Forum

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support.

The pandemic has financial consequences, especially for Black-owned businesses. Ad revenue is shrinking so we are asking you directly for your financial support. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan or process your donation through Square

>