News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Sheku Kanneh-Mason Tackles Elgar’s Famous Cello Concerto  (Read 89 times)

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
Sheku Kanneh-Mason Tackles Elgar’s Famous Cello Concerto
« on: January 14, 2020, 06:21:58 PM »
It’s what we’ve all been waiting for: the Sheku Kanneh-Mason version of the Elgar Concerto! Legendary British cellist Jacqueline Du Pre made this work a hit in the 1960’s. Now, today’s most popular young cellist has recorded this seminal and beautiful work.
https://www.kusc.org/radio/album-of-the-week/sheku-kanneh-mason-tackles-elgars-famous-cello-concerto/
https://www.amazon.com/Elgar-Sheku-Kanneh-Mason/dp/B07Z74DJ6H/ref=tmm_acd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 06:25:28 PM by klg14 »
July 4, 1881 - A Great Day in History...

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.” - Neil Gaiman

Online TSU/BAMA

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Sheku Kanneh-Mason Tackles Elgar’s Famous Cello Concerto
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 05:47:25 AM »
 :shrug: What the f--K? Well anyway, bless his heart.

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 10:25:02 AM »
???.......is there something wrong with black folks playing the cello?  :shrug:

Please explain.

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 10:52:28 AM »
???.......is there something wrong with Black folks playing the cello?  :shrug:

Please explain.

Yes. :shrug:

Here's Sheku's sister:

https://www.kusc.org/radio/album-of-the-week/isata-kanneh-mason-200-clara-schumann/

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.” - Neil Gaiman

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 01:21:21 PM »
klg......if memory serves, I believe the young man who is subject of the lead post^^^performed at Meghan Markle’s wedding to Prince Harry, and received worldwide acclaim.

The ENTIRE family is supremely talented - there are, what, around 7 kids or so? - and have been the subject of much press attention in England.

Black folks really have to dig deep and understand what about us Africans in the diaspora excelling in the “classical arts” makes us uncomfortable.

Don’t wanna preach, but we simply have to resist the psychological assaults that attempt to pigeonhole/stereotype us.

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 06:19:14 PM »
klg......if memory serves, I believe the young man who is subject of the lead post^^^performed at Meghan Markle’s wedding to Prince Harry, and received worldwide acclaim.

The ENTIRE family is supremely talented - there are, what, around 7 kids or so? - and have been the subject of much press attention in England.

The entire family is very talented. Here's an article and video clip from the wedding.
https://www.npr.org/sections/deceptivecadence/2018/05/21/613025939/cello-bae-sheku-kanneh-mason-wins-worldwide-fans-after-royal-wedding

I hope he collaborates with other Black classical music artists such as Awadagin Pratt.
http://www.awadagin.com/

:nod:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 06:34:52 PM by klg14 »

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 08:24:13 PM »
klg^^^Mrs. Strike and I saw Awadagin Pratt perform in concert with the Nashville Symphony some 20 years or so ago. Don’t remember the details, but there was quite a bit of pre-performances buzz about his unconventional looks with the dreadlocks and all. And I believe he had family in the Nashville area at the time.

I don’t even remember the program he played. But what I DO remember is the ovation he got received from the audience at the end of his program.  When homeboy ripped those keys playing all that classical stuff, Mrs. Strike and I were mesmerized.

I mean you’re talking two proud negroes after we saw the brutha throw down before that overwhelmingly white audience  playing music endemic to European culture.   ;D

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 08:51:01 PM »
Strike^^^I saw Awadagin Pratt perform with the Atlanta Symphony in 1996. He was fabulous!  ;D

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 07:53:35 AM »
Pratt is persona no grata now and rarely performs at major venues any more. Supremely talented but something happened and his career tanked.

The Mson family are very talented but still perform in the UK or Europe. They'll become super stars when they perform here.

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 08:10:17 AM »
???^^^uhhh, forgive me boss, but AP is persona non grata to WHOM about WHAT? It would be helpful if you might elaborate about what you’re talking about.

As for your comment about the Mason family, bruh, they are ALREADY “superstars”. Sounds a tad chauvinistic to suggest they can only attain that status until they first perform in the US.

Please explain.

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News