News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Human Jukebox performing at Lakers halftime  (Read 791 times)

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Human Jukebox performing at Lakers halftime
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2020, 04:55:21 PM »
I felt so much pride watching them march by and viewing their shows on Youtube.  My favorite band this year. :clap: 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline Ivan

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2020, 05:03:18 PM »
The HBCU alumni community out here was pumping up this visit by the Human Jukebox, for weeks now. I'd posted about it for at least the last two weeks on my facebook page, to let folks know they were coming out here for the weekend. A lot of HBCU alums made it to the parade yesterday. I posted my pics and video on my facebook page, as did my friends who are alums of other HBCUs. The Human Jukebox did a great job all the way around......................from there appearance at First AME (probably the most historic Black church in L.A.), to their performance at the Lakers game and the Tournament of Roses bandfest on Monday, the kids did a great job!

I must admit it was cool to get an opportunity to see SU's band in my hometown. I'm so used to seeing them in the south. :lol:
I am now on Facebook! Come check me out...
 http://www.facebook.com/people/Ivan-Guillory/1249473291

SIAC All Sports Champions - 1990, ‘91, ‘92, ‘00, ‘01, ‘02, ‘06, ‘08

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2020, 12:04:37 AM »
We take band geeks for granted but you have to be in shape to march and play like that for 5.5 miles.
Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Offline Ivan

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2020, 02:16:31 AM »
After having watched the whole SU performance on youtube, I was thinking the same thing when I watched the Dancin' Dolls marching and dancing for the entire parade route.....................................and they had to keep that smile on their face the whole time. :nod:

Offline TheBlackPanther

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2020, 06:10:13 AM »
As a band geek myself, it’s always exciting for me to see so many people talking about one. CONGRATS to the Human Jukebox for an extremely productive trip out to LA. Every performance was flawless! Excellent recruiting tool in an area where most people probably have no clue even what an HBCU is. BRAVO!  :clap:

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2020, 12:29:53 PM »

Offline Ivan

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2020, 07:25:18 PM »
Okay, so there's two ironies from that video you posted above, bluedog.

First of all, I sat next to these three kids on the light rail after the parade. So, it's ironic to see that they'd made a video about their experience at the parade and that they were there to see the Human Jukebox. I honestly had no idea that three Latino kids would be at the parade to see Southern. So, this is great! :clap:

The second thing is that the two boys are wearing Centennial Apaches gear. Centennial HS is the school in Compton that my dad graduated from in 1956. The school was specifically built for the Black community in Compton because they were starting to proliferate on the west side of Compton (Compton was a predominately white city back then). The school was built in 1953 and my dad was in the first group of students to attend. They didn't have any seniors when the school first opened. Only sophomores and juniors. So, he was in the second graduating class in the history of the school. Ironic that it is now a mostly Latino school, with Black kids being the second largest population.

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2020, 12:31:16 AM »
Man that tuba player and drummer would have been me about two miles in. :lol:
Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2020, 07:55:19 AM »
Man that tuba player and drummer would have been me about two miles in.
Huh...bruh...    Man after watching all these different shots of the band in the RBP. You have to take your hat off to the dancing dolls for tracking that course while dancing and smiling all the way. They're the real MVP's.

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2020, 07:57:32 AM »
Okay, so there's two ironies from that video you posted above, bluedog.

First of all, I sat next to these three kids on the light rail after the parade. So, it's ironic to see that they'd made a video about their experience at the parade and that they were there to see the Human Jukebox. I honestly had no idea that three Latino kids would be at the parade to see Southern. So, this is great! :clap:

The second thing is that the two boys are wearing Centennial Apaches gear. Centennial HS is the school in Compton that my dad graduated from in 1956. The school was specifically built for the Black community in Compton because they were starting to proliferate on the west side of Compton (Compton was a predominately white city back then). The school was built in 1953 and my dad was in the first group of students to attend. They didn't have any seniors when the school first opened. Only sophomores and juniors. So, he was in the second graduating class in the history of the school. Ironic that it is now a mostly Latino school, with Black kids being the second largest population.
:clap: :clap:

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2020, 10:56:34 AM »

Offline The Sloping Hills and Verdent Green

• Assistant GM
  • #1 NCCU Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2020, 05:48:44 AM »
Man that tuba player and drummer would have been me about two miles in. :lol:

You could tell that they were worn out after that 6.1 miles march.  I felt sorry for them.  Both of them were BIG BOYS and walking that far was a lot for them. 

LOOK OUT MEAC WE ARE BACK AND READY

Offline j1908

• Assistant GM
  • A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2020, 08:24:08 AM »
^^^But an experience they will never forget. I see as they got closer to the black people, you can hear more cheers.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 08:30:37 AM by j1908 »
"I do not follow trails of candy. I am the candy

Offline Ivan

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2020, 06:31:43 PM »
^^^But an experience they will never forget. I see as they got closer to the black people, you can hear more cheers.

I honestly didn't see a part in the video where there was a lot of Black folks. It certainly wasn't at the section me and my friends were sitting in.  :lol:

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News