News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: It took 3 presidents nearly 14 years to fill this federal judgeship in North Car  (Read 106 times)

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Your president, Donald John Trump, wins again.

Read more

President Donald Trump was able to do something Thursday that eluded his two predecessors — end the longest-running vacancy in the federal judiciary.

The Senate voted 68-21 to confirm UNC-Chapel Hill law professor Richard Myers II to fill a seat in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina. The seat had been open since Jan. 1, 2006.

“It’s valuable to have someone who is well qualified, who seems mainstream, who has got a lot of experience and to have a sitting judge. You want to have people in the courthouses all around the district,” said Carl Tobias, a law professor at the University of Richmond School of Law who writes about federal judicial selections.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Why was it so difficult to fill?

Offline Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Obama nominated two black women but it was blocked by Richard burr.  Trump nominated Myers but it was held up by Scott of south Carolina but eventually Scott relented.  Myers was in the forefront of disenfranchising black voters in north Carolina.  These uncle Tom's are worse than trump.

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Obama nominated two black women but it was blocked by Richard burr.  Trump nominated Myers but it was held up by Scott of south Carolina but eventually Scott relented.  Myers was in the forefront of disenfranchising black voters in north Carolina.  These uncle Tom's are worse than trump.

Stop lying.  Nobody was disenfranchised in North Carolina.  Nobody bothered to disenfranchise anyone in North Carolina. 

Offline Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
You are a lie. That is why senator tim scott withheld his vote.

Online Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
I thought Senator Tim Scott was opposed to the nomination of Thomas Farr.  :shrug:

I haven't read that Tim Scott was oppose to the nomination of Richard Myers, II. Nor have I read anything about Richard Myers being involved any voting rights litigation in North Carolina. 

With a Jamaican American UNC professor, has Trump found judge to end 13-year vacancy

…..

Asked if he considered himself African American, Myers said, “I consider myself human. I consider myself human. Jamaican American. For some folks, it’s a really important thing for them. For me, I would really like to be considered on my own merits every step of the way.”

Democratic Rep. G.K. Butterfield, whose district covers much of Eastern North Carolina and is a former chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus, said after President Donald Trump nominated Myers that he wished Trump had taken the opportunity to diversify the bench.

“Every African American I know is proud to make that identification as African American,” Butterfield told McClatchy last month. “If he is indeed African American, I would expect that he would be proud of it and say so.”

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article235460432.html

Prof. Richard Myers – Nominee to the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina

Overall Assessment

Given how long this seat has sat vacant, and the number of nominees who have fallen by the wayside in the attempt to fill it, one can start to wonder if this seat is cursed.  However, if there is a nominee primed to end this “curse,” it is Myers.  Not only does Myers, as a African American attorney, not attract the same degree of opposition that Farr did, but his record should win him bipartisan approval.  In fact, Myers’ criminal justice jurisprudence largely accords with that of many liberals in its criticism of prosecutorial power and overcriminalization.

This is not to say that Myers will be a liberal on the bench.  He will likely be a conservative voice.  However, his criminal justice jurisprudence may well end up surprising many who thought they could pigeonhole the nominee, and despite being a former prosecutor, defense attorneys may well have a friend in Myers.

https://vettingroom.org/2019/10/11/richard_myers/

« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 11:13:34 PM by Wildman78 »

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile

You always believe the lie. 

Wildman, he's Jamaican.  He's not going to call himself African-American.  Butterfield should know that.  Since he doesn't, it's time for him to go.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile

You always believe the lie. 

Wildman, he's Jamaican.  He's not going to call himself African-American.  Butterfield should know that.  Since he doesn't, it's time for him to go.

It's been time for you to go too.

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News