News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: South Florida fires coach Charlie Strong after 4-8 record in 3rd season  (Read 336 times)

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
July 4, 1881 - A Great Day in History...

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.” - Neil Gaiman

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: South Florida fires coach Charlie Strong after 4-8 record in 3rd season
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 03:31:54 AM »
FCS is calling his name

Offline TheBlackPanther

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 08:21:51 AM »
Damn. I like him too. I guess he shoulda just stayed at Louisville and rode that wave for as long as he could. Not sure what went wrong at USF but IMO he should have stayed away from that Texas job. He was basically set up to fail from day one.

Offline TheBlackPanther

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 08:49:07 AM »
Then again, if he was chasing a pay day then he definitely accomplished that since both UT and USF still have to cut him a check.

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 10:20:31 AM »
I think Mason at Vandy may join him.

Offline prettynupe1414

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 10:50:20 AM »
FCS is calling his name
He will still make more $$$$ at FBS level as a coordinator than take a job at FCS level... He is about his $$$$$ as you have seen....
F.O.N  F.O.N

Offline TheBlackPanther

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 11:07:55 AM »

I’m thinking the only reason Mason even lasted this long is because Vandy Isn’t in a position to pay two coaches at once.

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 11:15:54 AM »
???......Bison and BP^^^, the VU administration had already announced BEFORE the Tenn game this past wknd, that Mason would be retained for another season. And mofos locally are scratching their heads and asking....WHY???

Forgotten the opponent, but in their last home game of the season, the announced attendance was 19K+.  The stadium seats around 45K, which means it was LESS than half full.  :o

The program has resorted to damn near the rock bottom status it held before James Franklin came on board. But Franklin moved on to his “dream job” at Penn State, what, 3-4 years ago?  :shrug: And Vandy football has ONCE AGAIN become a joke!!

I’m pissed.  >:(

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 11:34:30 AM »
Damn. I like him too. I guess he shoulda just stayed at Louisville and rode that wave for as long as he could. Not sure what went wrong at USF but IMO he should have stayed away from that Texas job. He was basically set up to fail from day one.
:clap:.........bruh, I could not agree MORE with everything you just stated.

Charlie Strong was absolutely my favorite FBS coach when he was at Louisville. Man, that mofo even LOOKS like a college football coach with that linebacker build and bald head.

He had Louisville on the cusp of being a national contender when he hauled a.z.z to Texas. And that job was PALPABLY a bad fit for him. But if you recalled, he was heavily recruited by Tennessee BEFORE taking the Texas job. Mrs. Strong is a white lady. And there was a real concern about how the Strongs would be socially received on Rocky Top.

I thought the South Fl job was a good place to land after Texas because he heavily recruited the state while at Louisville. He had a pretty decent record, I thought, the first two seasons. Don’t know why the USF folks are pulling the trigger after three seasons. But if Charlie will continue to be cut a check, then that’s cool.

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 11:48:27 AM »

Charlie Strong was absolutely my favorite FBS coach when he was at Louisville. Man, that mofo even LOOKS like a college football coach with that linebacker build and bald head.

He had Louisville on the cusp of being a national contender when he hauled a.z.z to Texas. And that job was PALPABLY a bad fit for him. But if you recalled, he was heavily recruited by Tennessee BEFORE taking the Texas job. Mrs. Strong is a white lady. And there was a real concern about how the Strongs would be socially received on Rocky Top.

I thought the South Fl job was a good place to land after Texas because he heavily recruited the state while at Louisville. He had a pretty decent record, I thought, the first two seasons. Don’t know why the USF folks are pulling the trigger after three seasons. But if Charlie will continue to be cut a check, then that’s cool.

Strike -

USF isn’t competitive in the AAC. They’ve been surpassed by UCF, SMU & Memphis in conference. When UCF went on their mini run a few years ago, USF boosters got tired of hearing that from UCF fans. In a talent rich locale that is South Florida, I thought USF would be competitive, especially with UF & FSU also being down at the same tune.

Don’t know if it’s Charlie, but something ain’t quite right at USF. They should  be more talented and competitive than they are.

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 12:21:04 PM »
Alum........thanks for your insights. And I agree with you when you state “something ain’t quite right at USF.”

Btw, boss, on a COMPLETELY different matter, kindly see your PM.  ;D

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 01:19:27 PM »
Alum........thanks for your insights. And I agree with you when you state “something ain’t quite right at USF.”

Btw, boss, on a COMPLETELY different matter, kindly see your PM.  ;D

Yep....just peeped it. Back at Cha.....

Offline BrotherWiregrass

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 03:01:36 PM »
He should've just stayed  at Louisville. Because, black head coaches don't have the same leeway with job hopping as white coaches.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2019, 03:45:35 PM »

Strike -

USF isn’t competitive in the AAC. They’ve been surpassed by UCF, SMU & Memphis in conference. When UCF went on their mini run a few years ago, USF boosters got tired of hearing that from UCF fans. In a talent rich locale that is South Florida, I thought USF would be competitive, especially with UF & FSU also being down at the same tune.

Don’t know if it’s Charlie, but something ain’t quite right at USF. They should  be more talented and competitive than they are.

Its the conference they are in. Players select conferences just as much as they do schools.

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2019, 08:01:50 PM »
I think Strong and  Taggart are done as HC. They'll  become NFL lifers as position coaches or disappear to coach smaller colleges

Also don't be too sure if David Shaw isnt run out of Stanford if they have another season like this one.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News