News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: LA area peeps and board  (Read 775 times)

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
LA area peeps and board
« on: November 19, 2019, 01:33:24 PM »
 :)............guys, just returned yesterday afternoon from a five days visit to Los Angeles. It was the first time visiting a city I’ve heard about and been fascinated with all of my life. The trip was to be present at a surprise birthday party for Mrs. Strike’s brother.  A few observations.....

The city and region reminded me of my hometown of West Palm Beach and the rest of South Florida.  Beautiful, sunshine weather and palm trees. But someone who has visited both areas suggested that LA weather is nicer because there ARE cool days, unlike South FL which is pretty much warm year round. I think I agree LA weather is a tad nicer.

I did not rent a car because I was intimidated by the reputation of LA’s freeway system. I thought I would be run off the road, and the process of driving on highways that were 5-7 lanes across in one direction intimidated me. But riding around with other relatives behind the wheel wasn’t so bad. But the sheer VOLUME of traffic, including, say, on Sunday morning was a sight to behold.

Was able to establish my LA tourist street bona fides by visiting the Crenshaw neighborhood where Nipsey Hustle was gunned down. The shopping strip is still cordoned off with fencing and tarp for some unknown reason.  And the brutha who offered to sell us some T-shirts out of his trunk commemorating the event for $80 was a bit extreme, but the visit was interesting.

There is a lot more I could talk about....a LOT MORE......but did want to mention Venice Beach. Now THAT was uniquely Southern California. Walking along the boardwalk we encountered folks from LITERALLY around the world. We actually spent just a few minutes walking on the actual beach as I’ve seen enough of the Atlantic Ocean growing up in South Fl and visiting all my life. But this was the Pacific Ocean and, at least as the ocean laid at Venice, the water was cool, crisp and clean.

Btw, did I tell you guys the BEST part of the VB experience was watching the kids skate boarding at the skate board park?  :lol: A good number of those kids are serious athletes.

All in all, a good trip visiting the City of Angels.  :)

Offline Ivan

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Page
Re: LA area peeps and board
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 02:47:21 PM »
Glad you had a good trip. My experience is that folks from the South either hate L.A. or love L.A...............................there's no in between. :lol:
I am now on Facebook! Come check me out...
 http://www.facebook.com/people/Ivan-Guillory/1249473291

SIAC All Sports Champions - 1990, ‘91, ‘92, ‘00, ‘01, ‘02, ‘06, ‘08

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 03:19:49 PM »
 :lol:^^^concur. Nothing “neutral” about LA.

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 06:05:24 PM »
Strike, I hope that you got a chance to visit the Watts Towers, and dine at Harold & Belle's Restaurant. Also, (if it's still there) awesome breakfast at The Pantry downtown.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 08:54:05 AM »
Just curious, what is it that folk say they don't like about Los Angeles?

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 09:27:06 AM »
Strike,
Did you have trouble with the local lingo? If so, here's a guide.

https://laist.com/projects/how-to-la/understand/pronunciation/

;D :nod: :popcorn:
July 4, 1881 - A Great Day in History...

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.” - Neil Gaiman

Offline Ivan

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 03:39:01 PM »

The people............the traffic..........the culture..............the food, etc.
I am now on Facebook! Come check me out...
 http://www.facebook.com/people/Ivan-Guillory/1249473291

SIAC All Sports Champions - 1990, ‘91, ‘92, ‘00, ‘01, ‘02, ‘06, ‘08

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 04:12:50 PM »
Strike,

:lol:........no, Ms. klg, didn’t have any problems communicating at all. The Good Lord has blessed your humble poster with a command of the English language that ranges from the South Florida negro patois, in which I was raised, all the way up to the Midwestern white “twang” that, for many years, was the preferred speaking voice for radio and tv broadcasting.  Can communicate just as efficiently in Crenshaw as I can in Beverly Hills.

I especially enjoyed the opportunity to use my rudimentary espanol due to the historic Spanish influence in Southern Cali culture. But, hell, the Hispanic presence is pervasive enough in Nashville that I can practice my spanish here.

Btw, thanks for the link to the article. That was cute.  ;D

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 04:28:24 PM »

::) I mostly hear this from NYers. Come to think of it, they complain about every place that isn't NYC and they feel compelled to remind you of the fact that___isn't like NYC. 

Dude, we get it... and nobody cares.... you ain't in NYC anymore.
   :lol:

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 04:33:32 PM »

The people............the traffic..........the culture..............the food, etc.
:).........I thought the people with whom I engaged were decent enough. Did not have an unpleasant experience.

The traffic was as advertised, in a word, “horrendous”. No way could I EVER get used to At this point in my life getting adjusted to spending 30 minutes driving to a locale that is only 5 miles away.

The “culture,” as I THINK I understand it, was ok. I guess it’s all part of that California vibe. No problem there with me.

The most IMPRESSIVE meal we had during the visit was at Houston’s restaurant. But Houston’s is a so-called high end chain. So that’s not exactly “local”. Next door to the hotel was a Fleming’s restaurant, high-end steakhouse chain.

We had a lovely meal at a seafood restaurant right where Venice Beach abuts Santa Monica. I think you can regard that as “local” cuisine. But DO have to mention Roscoe’s Chicken and Waffles. That is a popular chain in the city, and there was a considerable wait for our meal in a party of nine. The waffles were actually delicious, light, fluffy with creamy butter.

But the menu claimed they served “Southern fried chicken”. As soon as the plate was set down before me, the chix looked suspect. But when I took my first bite out of my chix breast, I was stunned.......it was bone dry. No way was that the fried chix I’ve come to know and enjoy all of my life living in the South.

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 04:34:16 PM »
Strike,

:lol:........no, Ms. klg, didn’t have any problems communicating at all. The Good Lord has blessed your humble poster with a command of the English language that ranges from the South Florida negro patois, in which I was raised, all the way up to the Midwestern white “twang” that, for many years, was the preferred speaking voice for radio and tv broadcasting.  Can communicate just as efficiently in Crenshaw as I can in Beverly Hills.

I especially enjoyed the opportunity to use my rudimentary espanol due to the historic Spanish influence in Southern Cali culture. But, hell, the Hispanic presence is pervasive enough in Nashville that I can practice my spanish here.

Btw, thanks for the link to the article. That was cute.  ;D

You're welcome.  :)
July 4, 1881 - A Great Day in History...

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.” - Neil Gaiman

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2019, 05:45:21 PM »
Strike, I hope that you got a chance to visit the Watts Towers, and dine at Harold & Belle's Restaurant. Also, (if it's still there) awesome breakfast at The Pantry downtown.
???.........NOW you tell me.   >:(

Naaah, just kidding homeboy. Your humble poster intentionally didn’t mention the visit on this board BEFORE I headed out as I wanted to experience it without any pre-judgement from folks familiar with the area. The drawback to that approach was to not be aware of the places you mentioned^^^^.

Didn’t get downtown, but was curious about seeing “skid row” that has made so much national news. We DID see “pockets” of it in other areas of town, and it’s depressing to see people living like that.  :no:

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2019, 11:34:05 PM »
 :).......forgot to mention to you guys what was perhaps the most delightful experience of my extended LA wknd. At the breakfast buffet table of my first morning there, the significant others of Mrs. Strike’s two nieces reminded me that the Golden State has joined the ranks of states where the purchase and sale of America’s favorite “herb” is perfectly legal. This is a fact that TOTALLY eluded your humble poster’s mind while thinking about and planning the trip.

So, later that day, I visit my first dispensary. About ten minutes into browsing around, the two sig others came running up to me, exclaiming: Dey got dat Mike Tyson! Your humble poster, being my typically naive self, thought they meant the Iron Man, himself, was visiting the store. But, noooo.......the product that Big Mike grows and cultivates on his farm outside Vegas was available for sale in the store. And it has acquired a reputation for being high quality stuff.

Now both of these sig others are in their mid-30’s. But you would have thought these boys were in grade school looking under the Christmas tree for gifts. They were THAT giddy and excited to discover that Mike’s product was available for sale.   :shrug:

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2019, 12:49:36 PM »
:).......forgot to mention to you guys what was perhaps the most delightful experience of my extended LA wknd. At the breakfast buffet table of my first morning there, the significant others of Mrs. Strike’s two nieces reminded me that the Golden State has joined the ranks of states where the purchase and sale of America’s favorite “herb” is perfectly legal. This is a fact that TOTALLY eluded your humble poster’s mind while thinking about and planning the trip.

So, later that day, I visit my first dispensary. About ten minutes into browsing around, the two sig others came running up to me, exclaiming: Dey got dat Mike Tyson! Your humble poster, being my typically naive self, thought they meant the Iron Man, himself, was visiting the store. But, noooo.......the product that Big Mike grows and cultivates on his farm outside Vegas was available for sale in the store. And it has acquired a reputation for being high quality stuff.

Now both of these sig others are in their mid-30’s. But you would have thought these boys were in grade school looking under the Christmas tree for gifts. They were THAT giddy and excited to discover that Mike’s product was available for sale.   :shrug:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2019, 07:16:31 PM »
LA proper is on my bucket list.  Been through LAX on my way to Northern California but that's about it.  I had thought about going when our WBB was in San Diego and Riverside last week but couldn't make my schedule line up.
Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News

Support Onnidan

Support the Fan Forum

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support.

The pandemic has financial consequences, especially for Black-owned businesses. Ad revenue is shrinking so we are asking you directly for your financial support. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan or process your donation through Square

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule