News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Teacher/student fight in Maryland  (Read 313 times)

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • House Pride!
    • View Profile
Re: Teacher/student fight in Maryland
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 12:53:51 PM »
These poor teachers have no support and it doesn't look like a teachers union offers much of any either.

Yeah, they can have ALL of that with that wack-a$$ LOW pay.
  ::)

Offline CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 12:55:20 PM »
These poor teachers have no support and it doesn't look like a teachers union offers much of any either.

Conservative politicians have done an effective job of demonizing educators.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2019, 01:49:46 PM »
Cap, did your parents condone you displaying the student's behavior?

Absolutely not! Further more, the teacher could have broken every bone in my body and they would have supported the teacher. That is why we have issues to this day. Like many closed minded  parents, my parents felt the adult was always right. My sister was abused and my mother blamed her.

Yes, I would hold my child responsible for disrespecting a teacher and for disrupting the class. Yet, the teacher better not attack them like that.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2019, 02:04:13 PM »
Everything goes back to the parents. They are the ones who dictate school policy. If teachers are hamstrung in the class room over policy, that is what parents insisted the board put in place.

Then you have laws at play as well. Some kids are too hard and disruptive to be in a public school setting but the law mandated they be there regardless of their situation.

I personally feel school boards would be more effective if they ignore parents.  I  understand parental input is needed, but it seems everyone is self serving and are only concerned about their child.

Offline Sierra

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2019, 02:24:19 PM »
The school did absolutely nothing.  The administration is too afraid to discipline students.  They are too busy worrying about keeping their suspension numbers low.
"Y" that is so true. I sub-ed for a period and the principle would often say, " if we lose students, we lose teachers."

I had a male student and his sister to attack me in a middle school. I first pushed him away and he came back at me. He received injuries and went on TV to show his injuries.
There were an investigation and I wasn't charged. I basically got ZERO support from the principle.
Do all the right things for the all the right reasons.Damn the consequences.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2019, 06:12:29 PM »
A couple folk mentioned suspension numbers....Suspension reform is something African American leaders have fought for. That now begs the question, to you who brought it up, do you want those kids in school or not? Lets be frank, it is black and brown kids who are most affected by suspension.  i struggle with my feelings about it. On one hand, I  would rather those bad seeds be suspended so they won't ruin the educational experience for others. On the other hand, I feel they need to be in school where society can help them to work through their demons. But the fact that we force them to be there and at the same time are not giving them any additional support, has ruined the public education system.

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2019, 06:19:09 PM »

That's a damn lie.  You should explain why your district is such a sh!thole.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2019, 09:16:03 PM »
As an educator, I support this teacher.  It is easy to say what she should have done if you have never taught before.  There is a history of students attacking teachers at this school and she feared for her life.  The teacher told the students to sit down several times, but the student kept following her, stepped on her toe and bumped her.  That was a big girl too!
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2019, 12:04:29 AM »
As an educator, I support this teacher.  It is easy to say what she should have done if you have never taught before.  There is a history of students attacking teachers at this school and she feared for her life.  The teacher told the students to sit down several times, but the student kept following her, stepped on her toe and bumped her.  That was a big girl too!

So you feel the teacher was defending herself? In the clip I saw, the teacher was the aggressor. The student was clearly trying to provoke the teacher, but did not attack her. The teacher was the attacker.  I support teachers also, but in this case, she was wrong.

So ep, you feel it is ok to jump on your child and beat the crap out of them for taunting you? I know that is the way many black parents feel, but that does not make it right. Sometimes we have to be better than our parents.

Offline TSU/BAMA

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2019, 12:13:15 AM »
Well lets not criticize these teachers until we have walked in their shoes. Hell, the parents can't handle these kids now a days, what do we expect the teachers to do??? Hey, I am just saying.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 12:16:12 AM by TSU/BAMA »

Offline CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2019, 03:38:18 AM »
I’m not sure what suspension has to do with this situation. Suspension simply removes a student from the school for a few days. It does not change the behavior of truly unruly students as this student appears to be. If the student is a special education student, that adds a whole different set of factors and limitations.

Offline CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2019, 04:02:49 AM »

No it’s not a lie, it’s the truth. Simple answer to your second question. PA has one of the most inequitable school funding formulas. There are 500 school districts in PA roughly 160 are underfunded. 61% of all PA students go to these 160 districts. The majority of Black and Latino students go to these underfunded districts. These districts like my district with a 92% poverty rate need more resources, not less. This is especially true  when many students in high poverty districts like mine  are coming to school hungry, abused both physically and emotionally, are exposed to drug and  alcohol addiction,  and violence at home. Add to that the fact that school readiness is a challenge for high poverty districts.

Students who grow up in poverty start school years behind their more affluent counterparts. Students who grow up in concentrated poverty go to underfunded schools with less resources than more affluent schools. Rather than supporting these schools with the resources they need, conservative politicians and some Democrats have chose to demonize them and make the situation worse with terrible charter school laws that takes even more resources from high poverty districts. Little do these politicians know that teachers and administrators from high poverty districts are highly coveted by suburban districts because of their experiences. At the end of the day Y, you don’t know what you are talking about and would be better served to stick with your usual buffoonery.  :shrug:

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2019, 05:55:58 AM »

No it’s not a lie, it’s the truth. Simple answer to your second question. PA has one of the most inequitable school funding formulas. There are 500 school districts in PA roughly 160 are underfunded. 61% of all PA students go to these 160 districts. The majority of Black and Latino students go to these underfunded districts. These districts like my district with a 92% poverty rate need more resources, not less. This is especially true  when many students in high poverty districts like mine  are coming to school hungry, abused both physically and emotionally, are exposed to drug and  alcohol addiction,  and violence at home. Add to that the fact that school readiness is a challenge for high poverty districts.

Students who grow up in poverty start school years behind their more affluent counterparts. Students who grow up in concentrated poverty go to underfunded schools with less resources than more affluent schools. Rather than supporting these schools with the resources they need, conservative politicians and some Democrats have chose to demonize them and make the situation worse with terrible charter school laws that takes even more resources from high poverty districts. Little do these politicians know that teachers and administrators from high poverty districts are highly coveted by suburban districts because of their experiences. At the end of the day Y, you don’t know what you are talking about and would be better served to stick with your usual buffoonery.  :shrug:

Stop lying.  Those districts, like yours, are ran by democrats.  Funding has nothing to do with piss poor student behavior.  Prince George's County is in the upper half of income in Maryland.  It's not the party, it's the students and the parents.  Southside Virginia is Republican controlled and the schools don't have the discipline problems.  Those schools have been underfunded since NAFTA.

It's people like you that blame Republicans for their shortcomings.  You have allowed the students to run your schools.  You don't have the guts to put a stop to bad student behavior.  You aren't man enough to back your teachers.  Instead, you cower to the parents and students. 

Grow a pair and take your little old school back.

Offline CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2019, 06:31:25 AM »
Since you’re talking about my district, it has a history of being run by Republicans.  :popcorn: You can spin it anyway you want but again, at the end of the day, your ignorance is going on full display.

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2019, 07:22:18 AM »
Since you’re talking about my district, it has a history of being run by Republicans.  :popcorn: You can spin it anyway you want but again, at the end of the day, your ignorance is going on full display.

Now you're saying Black Republicans run your district.

What are you doing to the students that misbehave in your district? 

What do you do to the students that disrespect teachers in your district?

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News