News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Thousands moving to Alabama from Illinois every year  (Read 302 times)

Offline BrotherWiregrass

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Thousands moving to Alabama from Illinois every year
« on: November 17, 2019, 03:14:25 PM »
https://www.al.com/news/2019/11/thousands-moving-to-alabama-from-illinois-every-year.html

I know, somebody that relocated to Alabama this year from the Chicago-area.   :tiptoe:

Offline BrotherWiregrass

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Thousands moving to Alabama from Illinois every year
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 03:30:30 PM »
Why didn't they stop in Tennessee?  :shrug:

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 03:35:29 PM »
People move from the north to the south because they cant handle the competition and high cost of living of world-class cities.

Offline BrotherWiregrass

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 04:26:41 PM »
People move from the north to the south because they cant handle the competition and high cost of living of world-class cities.

World-class cities????? You ever been outside of Chicago, Illinois?

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 05:00:16 PM »

No, but Chicago is listed as an Alpha level city and is in the same tier as some fantastic cities which I have been to(LA,Miami,Frankfurt,Seoul)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globalization_and_World_Cities_Research_Network#Alpha_2

The biggest city in Alabama, Birmingham, is listed as a lower Beta city along such dumps as Edinburgh in my home nation and Dhaka Bangladesh.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 07:24:39 PM »
North Carolinians know better not to migrate down there.  ;D

Between 2012 and 2016, the largest source of net migrants to North Carolina was New York (averaging 15,600 per year), followed by New Jersey (7,800), Virginia (6,500), California (4,100), Pennsylvania (3,900), and Connecticut (3,500).

« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 07:29:22 PM by Capler »

Offline cee dog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 10:13:45 PM »
Don't be fooled by what happens in the ghetto. Chicago is way better than the whole state of Alabama. Alabama is 48th-50th in every category listed in life. The worst school in Chicago is still ahead of the top school in Alabama. Let's not even compare the Universities and the research.

"Bulldog for Life"

Online Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 07:45:49 AM »
Most blacks have there roots in the south.  Morgan Freeman lives in Mississippi   Clarence gaines who wrote autobiography of jane Pittman graduated from san Francisco state university and lived in san Francisco for years but 20 years ago bought the plantation his family lived on and moved back to Louisiana.  I live in Houston but I bought the 2 bedroom home I grew up in Rayne, Louisiana and remodeled it and return on weekends.  Got it for 110,000 dollars.  It was a shack but sat on 5 acres of land. So now I plant crops on the land. Used to plant watermelon and collard greens when I was a kid 

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 08:59:35 AM »
Most blacks have there roots in the south.  Morgan Freeman lives in Mississippi   Clarence gaines who wrote autobiography of jane Pittman graduated from san Francisco state university and lived in san Francisco for years but 20 years ago bought the plantation his family lived on and moved back to Louisiana.  I live in Houston but I bought the 2 bedroom home I grew up in Rayne, Louisiana and remodeled it and return on weekends.  Got it for 110,000 dollars.  It was a shack but sat on 5 acres of land. So now I plant crops on the land. Used to plant watermelon and collard greens when I was a kid

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 10:31:19 AM »

Online Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 10:36:49 AM »
The states with largest black population are new York  texas and Florida.  The south is were the jobs are. They don't call the rust belt the rust belt for nothing.  Most of the blacks moving are the young college educated and retired.  s**t who was snow tires and chains every years  some parts of Chicago look like east Berlin.

Offline BrotherWiregrass

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 10:40:02 AM »
Three words: Cost of living.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 10:46:36 AM by BrotherWiregrass »

Online Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 11:02:21 AM »
???.......:uhhhh, don’t know whether this^^^comment was intended to throw shade, was posted out of sheer ignorance, or both.

Last data I saw, for example, about 30K were moving to Nashville each year, which equates to something around 80 folks DAILY.

And if the consensus of this thread is that black folks are returning to the south in large numbers, that would include Rocky Top, which sits BELOW the Mason-Dixon Line.

If the poster cares to explain himself, I would appreciate it.

Offline BrotherWiregrass

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2019, 12:14:14 PM »
???.......:uhhhh, don’t know whether this^^^comment was intended to throw shade, was posted out of sheer ignorance, or both.

Last data I saw, for example, about 30K were moving to Nashville each year, which equates to something around 80 folks DAILY.

And if the consensus of this thread is that black folks are returning to the south in large numbers, that would include Rocky Top, which sits BELOW the Mason-Dixon Line.

If the poster cares to explain himself, I would appreciate it.

I was not throwing shade at Tennessee, or your town of Nashville, Tennessee. But, I do have a question? How do you navigate that traffic? I swear, I hate coming through there after 4:30 on a weekday.

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2019, 07:36:28 PM »
It’s basically a reverse of the Great Migration.  We moved north for economic opportunities not afforded us in the South, and now the trends are starting to change. People are coming back down south to retire, or find new employment with a lower cost of living.

I can’t tell you the number of people in this area that have come from NY.   They’re originally from the area they retire, sell their property in NY, then come down here and buy a bigger nicer home without having to pay a mortgage.

The Great Migration lasted over 50 years. It will be interesting to see if the trend continues.   
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News