News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: FVSU SMH  (Read 518 times)

Offline Love and football/wings and beer

• Assistant GM
  • SEC Player By Birth,But White HBCU Law Grad
    • View Profile
FVSU SMH
« on: November 14, 2019, 01:12:08 PM »
I wish you guys the best of luck but you made a big mistake by letting Coach Porter go
11/26/2011 A Day for history the CIAA wins a playoff game and U.K.  ends 27 years of pain at the hands to Tenn

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
Re: FVSU SMH
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 01:21:39 PM »
I probably wouldn’t have pulled the trigger -next year maybe if there were no improvements but not this year.  However I thank him for his service to the Wildcats and wish him all the best. I mean that genuinely. 

Seems like we do this every 2-4 years.   *sigh*

It’s not totally surprising though.  I mean the egg we laid on TV this last Saturday was ...... it was rough.   No one was pleased. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 01:23:48 PM by Valley Girl »
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 01:27:50 PM »
The question is "did he really have only seven scholarships to work with"?

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 01:53:25 PM »

That is the million dollar question

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 02:44:36 PM »

They have between 7-12 still not enough, the man did a good job for what he had
11/26/2011 A Day for history the CIAA wins a playoff game and U.K.  ends 27 years of pain at the hands to Tenn

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 02:58:06 PM »

Definitely made lemonade out of lemons.  But I will say there was some disorganization on the sidelines that didn’t have anything to do with funding.   Just common sense and rapport.

He had less than the previous coach and did more.  The previous coach initially had more resources  than anyone and didn’t do a daggone thing with them.   The resources dwindled  under him and never made a comeback. 

The administration and alumni have to do a better job of giving back.  Our alumni giving rate was in the top 10
Last time I checked, but that has been a minute ago.   

Still systemic issues associated with state funding,  decreased enrollment etc. have affected athletics negatively. 

I’m Not mad that he was let go, but I’m not dancing a jig like I was when  that other joker was released.   Coach Porter could
have stayed on and I wouldn’t have been upset - just wanted him to be better organized and less vanilla in play calling.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 03:02:37 PM by Valley Girl »
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 03:01:40 PM »
July 4, 1881 - A Great Day in History...

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.” - Neil Gaiman

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 04:58:36 PM »
Never discuss cheese with a rat, bread with a bird or make moves with a snake.

Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Offline Cats4ever

• Assistant GM
  • General Manager
    • View Profile
    • FVSU: Let's build a winner.
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 03:39:05 PM »

It is funny how some of these fans get upset, but they never want to put their money where their mouth is.  I have a friend and co-worker who was PO about the lost to ASU and SSU. He preached that we need to get some big linemen that can move people out of the way.  He believes that you can mine talent from “small towns” because no one never heard of these small towns.

I asked what are you going to use to get the player to attend FVSU.  Some people believe that a coach can make a player better but even the best coach needs some talent to work with.  When I was asking the coaches questions at fan day, I focused on team speed and there was a reason.  In the ASU game, they were much faster than we were, and there is no amount of coaching that can correct that.  LLL, I can outrun most of FVSU DBs.

Yes, we need more scholarships could we can recruit better players.  My co-worker believes that if he gave money, FVSU should provide him with a lifetime care package.  If we want to win, we need to rid ourselves of that mindset.  We need 1000 true FVSU fans to give $100 to football, so we can get some players. 
Your treatment of others give them control of your soul
Matthew 5:25-26

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 05:53:39 PM »

It is funny how some of these fans get upset, but they never want to put their money where their mouth is.  I have a friend and co-worker who was PO about the lost to ASU and SSU. He preached that we need to get some big linemen that can move people out of the way.  He believes that you can mine talent from “small towns” because no one never heard of these small towns.

I asked what are you going to use to get the player to attend FVSU.  Some people believe that a coach can make a player better but even the best coach needs some talent to work with.  When I was asking the coaches questions at fan day, I focused on team speed and there was a reason.  In the ASU game, they were much faster than we were, and there is no amount of coaching that can correct that.  LLL, I can outrun most of FVSU DBs.

Yes, we need more scholarships could we can recruit better players.  My co-worker believes that if he gave money, FVSU should provide him with a lifetime care package.  If we want to win, we need to rid ourselves of that mindset.  We need 1000 true FVSU fans to give $100 to football, so we can get some players.
all you points are dead on! The downfall of may HBCUS are that fans and donors expect too much in return for small donations give because it’s needed and don’t hold your hand out for something in return. I seen your OL this year they aren’t small at all other then your center is short plus you started 3 freshmen 1 sophomore , but shows his lack of football knowledge you’re a passing team and was 1 or 2 in every important offensive category this year in the conference and are highly ranked in the nation in offensive play. Fans have to evolve with football it’s a passing game now!

Offline Cats4ever

• Assistant GM
  • General Manager
    • View Profile
    • FVSU: Let's build a winner.
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 06:53:50 PM »

all you points are dead on! The downfall of may HBCUS are that fans and donors expect too much in return for small donations give because it’s needed and don’t hold your hand out for something in return. I seen your OL this year they aren’t small at all other then your center is short plus you started 3 freshmen 1 sophomore , but shows his lack of football knowledge you’re a passing team and was 1 or 2 in every important offensive category this year in the conference and are highly ranked in the nation in offensive play. Fans have to evolve with football it’s a passing game now!
That is part of the issue with some fans who are stuck in the 90s, and believes that running the ball is the way to win.  Most defenders are to fast just for that and will hit every gap known to man to stop your running game.  Yes, you can win some games by running the ball; however, what happens if you run into a Valdosta State who can put points on the board.  What happens if you are down 3 TDs, will running help you catch up? 
The only way you can compete at D2 with 12 scholarships is to run the service academies offense. You will win games, but you may not be able to compete in the play-offs. May be FVSU should run the T-offense, 
Your treatment of others give them control of your soul
Matthew 5:25-26

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News