News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: A&T basketball looked really weak tonight  (Read 1292 times)

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: A&T basketball looked really weak tonight
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2019, 02:56:56 PM »
Why do we keep doing this? Instead of discussing our problems head on, we change the flow of the conversation in an attempt to makes ourselves feel better about our pitiful situation. Now A&T is  bad because UNCG is so great. Over in the other forum, it is always, "more white people die from homicide than blacks, or more white people are on welfare...."   :brickwall:

If you are always the victim who blame others,  you will never do better. What I saw on the floor last night had very little to do with UNCG period. They simply did not have talent and experience. Granted UNCG's height and zone kept A&T from moving the ball smoothly, but UNCG had very little to do with missing all those shot and free throws. Strangly A&T's rebounding was not that bad. In a normal world, if you can rebound, you should be able to covert much that into points.

Not sure if any HBCU can beat UNCG, but I'm sure many D2 schools could beat A&T, and that is what really matters here.

so help me to understand something, please.  you're basing your comments on what?  one game?  one season opening game at that?  do you realize how "dumb" that sounds?  obviously you don't because you wouldn't have said it.

so let me get this straight.  you already know who's gonna win the ncaa d1 championship?  you already know who's gonna win the meac, swac, siac, and ciaa championships?  i mean, hail.  since you know so much after only one season opening game, why don't you go ahead and place your bets in vegas right this very moment?  you don't need to see no more games, your sample size of 1 game gives you the knowledge to determine how the rest of the season is gonna turn out, right?  :snicker

wow!  what a "genius" you are!  you can predict the future after watching only one friggin' game...

and btw, there are d3 teams that would kick ciaa teams' azzzes just like there are d2 teams who can beat meac and swac teams.  big friggin' deal!!  there are meac teams who have beaten "power 5" teams!  so friggin' what?

if your d2 teams are so great, then move them up to d1 where they will get "squashed"!  i guess you thought shaw would beat us in football too, huh?  since these d2 teams are so great, why is it that a&t hung "61" big ones on shaw the last time we played ya'll?

Offline Platinum_Sound

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2019, 03:06:10 PM »
Why do we keep doing this? Instead of discussing our problems head on, we change the flow of the conversation in an attempt to makes ourselves feel better about our pitiful situation. Now A&T is  bad because UNCG is so great. Over in the other forum, it is always, "more white people die from homicide than blacks, or more white people are on welfare...."   :brickwall:

If you are always the victim who blame others,  you will never do better. What I saw on the floor last night had very little to do with UNCG period. They simply did not have talent and experience. Granted UNCG's height and zone kept A&T from moving the ball smoothly, but UNCG had very little to do with missing all those shot and free throws. Strangly A&T's rebounding was not that bad. In a normal world, if you can rebound, you should be able to covert much that into points.

Not sure if any HBCU can beat UNCG, but I'm sure many D2 schools could beat A&T, and that is what really matters here.

so help me to understand something, please.  you're basing your comments on what?  one game?  one season opening game at that?  do you realize how "dumb" that sounds?  obviously you don't because you wouldn't have said it.

so let me get this straight.  you already know who's gonna win the ncaa d1 championship?  you already know who's gonna win the meac, swac, siac, and ciaa championships?  i mean, hail.  since you know so much after only one season opening game, why don't you go ahead and place your bets in vegas right this very moment?  you don't need to see no more games, your sample size of 1 game gives you the knowledge to determine how the rest of the season is gonna turn out, right?  :snicker

wow!  what a "genius" you are!  you can predict the future after watching only one friggin' game...

and btw, there are d3 teams that would kick ciaa teams' azzzes just like there are d2 teams who can beat meac and swac teams.  big friggin' deal!!  there are meac teams who have beaten "power 5" teams!  so friggin' what?

if your d2 teams are so great, then move them up to d1 where they will get "squashed"!  i guess you thought shaw would beat us in football too, huh?  since these d2 teams are so great, why is it that a&t hung "61" big ones on shaw the last time we played ya'll?

Man you love bringing up old sh!t.......... :nono2: :lol:
Shaw University - 61 CIAA Championships

2012 NCAA Women's Division II Basketball NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.

Shaw University Platinum Sound Marching Band 2008 Honda Battle of the Bands Participant.

Offline NEIGHBORHOODSUPERSTAR

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2019, 03:24:45 PM »
A few too many Aggies on this board making excuses for a bullisht display of basketball last night.....by the way, if you go to bluedeathvalley.com, some of the same folks making excuses for our play last night actually had us predicted to beat UNCG last night.
Personally, I don't care how long the list is for any DII team folks think can beat UNCG....that's an asinine discussion.  The fact remains that we lost to UNCG by 33 points, with the game being uncompetitive right from when the ball was tipped.  It was an embarrassing display of basketball for which every single Aggie should be criticizing.....not excusing.... :tiptoe:

Offline Warpaint

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2019, 03:52:20 PM »
lol 1st off that's 15 not 20. 2ndly , you are losing alot of credibility if you think they can beat a top mid majopr program. But ok.

Are you saying UNCG is a top mid major program?  They've only made the NCAA tournament 3 times.  Last year they got blown out of the NIT in the 2nd round.  They have strung together a couple of good seasons, but it's not like the SOCON is even one of the top mid major conferences.

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2019, 04:30:14 PM »
lol 1st off that's 15 not 20. 2ndly , you are losing alot of credibility if you think they can beat a top mid majopr program. But ok.

Are you saying UNCG is a top mid major program?  They've only made the NCAA tournament 3 times.  Last year they got blown out of the NIT in the 2nd round.  They have strung together a couple of good seasons, but it's not like the SOCON is even one of the top mid major conferences.

https://www.collegeinsider.com/mens-mid-major-top-25.php

Offline Warpaint

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2019, 04:42:25 PM »

https://www.collegeinsider.com/mens-mid-major-top-25.php

That's interesting.  I guess mid major is a little different when they aren't counting the A10 and Mountain West Conferences.

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2019, 04:49:57 PM »
Last year they got blown out of the NIT in the 2nd round. 
:nono2: losing by 12 points is hardly getting "blown out".  let's not "exaggerate", please...

Offline Warpaint

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2019, 05:03:38 PM »
Last year they got blown out of the NIT in the 2nd round. 
:nono2: losing by 12 points is hardly getting "blown out".  let's not "exaggerate", please...

Yeah but UNCG was a #1 seed and got beat by a #5 seed by 17.

Offline Aggie D.

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2019, 05:42:52 PM »
What I hear Capler saying, and I agree, is UNCG is not a Power 5 school but in a relatively short period of time they have been able to recruit solid athletes and build a competitive DI men’s basketball program.  UNCG is not alone, there are other mid major schools that have been successful with fielding competitive basketball programs.  Why is it N.C. A & T (and really the MEAC and SWAC in general) has not been able to do the same when we have been in this DI game for over 40 years now? 

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2019, 05:56:40 PM »
What I hear Capler saying, and I agree, is UNCG is not a Power 5 school but in a relatively short period of time they have been able to recruit solid athletes and build a competitive DI men’s basketball program.  UNCG is not alone, there are other mid major schools that have been successful with fielding competitive basketball programs.  Why is it N.C. A & T (and really the MEAC and SWAC in general) has not been able to do the same when we have been in this DI game for over 40 years now? 

To name a few off the top of my head

Discipline
Resources
Facilities
Coaching
Fan Support

Offline Oldschoolram

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2019, 06:00:06 PM »
It was obvious that UNC-G had better athletes out there.  In fairness A&T was ice cold the first half.  However Capler's points are right on. One brother for A&T was AWFUL, and I hope for him it was just one of those nights. Another wasn't much better......had to be close to double-figures in turnovers.

Also, I now know it isn't my imagination..... that school has gotten a LOT darker.

I think UNCG has the highest percentage of non HBCU black kids in the UNC system. If you noticed at the game, UNCG was playing up that fact in the arena. It was a hip, urban, happening atmosphere. I'm sad to say that they were doing a better job at atmosphere than most HBCUs do. Black folk are going to have to stop taking our people for granted and put more effort into the fan experience.

For example, the A&T football fan experience is not what it use to be. It has become too restrictive. First you have to jump through hoops to find parking. There is a crazy obstacle course to get inside Aggie Stadium. Restricted tailgating now has people scattered all around city streets, away from the stadium, trying to do this. Concessions availability is ridiculous. The breezeways are too narrow, and becomes a nightmare with vendors.

I said this to say that the fan experience is just as important as the play on the field.

I noticed, except the cheerleaders moves were killing me. :D  I've been spoiled.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2019, 06:40:44 PM »
The purpose of this conversation is not to dump on A&T, but is an attempt to get African Americans to look in the mirror and tell the freaking truth about what we see, without making a whole bunch of excuses. 

A&T and the MEAC have been trying for 40 years. If last night is all we have to show for that, we are in really bad shape.  We got to demand and expect better of ourselves. There is no reason why UNCG should be able to out recruit A&T. Aggies have the historic basketball pedigree, UNCG does not. Yes UNCG is playing in the Greensboro coliseum, but A&T had that opportunity but passed on it.  Other than that, UNCG does not have many advantage over A&T. 

And yes, one game tells you a lot. Weak players don't magically go from piss poor to all star. You can always see talent, even when they are surrounded by a weak supporting cast. My personal opinion is that A&T, and many HBCUs don't aggressively recruit. We have the mentality that black kids are supposed to come to us out of loyalty.  Young people today are loyal to no one but themselves. They want to be begged, and made to feel like you need them.  Most black coaches are not going to kiss a$$ to win a recruit.

On the flip side, white coach will be all up in the house sitting at the kitchen table with grandma acting like they are a family member. "I'm going to take care of your baby, and here is my personal cell number, to call me directly if you have questions." That is what you got to do.  :nod: Unfortunately most of us have a chip on our shoulders about what we will and will not do.  "I'm the man, I'm not begging a child for nothing. He can take his little spoiled a$$ to UNCG, where they  will change his diaper."  Sorry to say it, but that is the mentality we have, and our coaches,  professors, and support staff are the worst offenders.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 06:48:31 PM by Capler »

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2019, 09:15:22 PM »
From UNCG's media guide ... They have slowly improved their program and A&T is trying to hit a home run with DI transfers. A number of high school recruits have not worked for us

Series History . . .
Tuesday’s game marks the 20th all-time meeting between UNCG and North Carolina A&T. ...
Spartans trail in the all-time series 8-11 ... UNCG has won the last matchup between the two
schools ... The two schools played against each other for 10 consecutive seasons from 1992-
2002 ...The first five matchups during that stretch were part of the Wrangler Nat-Greene Classic.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2019, 10:22:48 PM »
Play UNC-G on a neutral court.

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2019, 02:31:48 AM »
Play UNC-G on a neutral court.

Lol!!! The Greensboro Coliseum is about as neutral as it gets.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News