News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: CIAA appears to have changed rules  (Read 810 times)

Offline FSUHALL

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
CIAA appears to have changed rules
« on: November 04, 2019, 10:37:33 AM »
As a graduate of two (2) CIAA schools I have been following CIAA Football since my playing days of 1986-1990 (when Chubb Rock jumped up on the scene).  I think I know the CIAA as well as anyone else ant the CIAA is full of “dodoo” when it comes to their new made up Football championship rules.

In the past all games against conference teams were not considered conference games but all designated conference games and head to head competition mattered.  My mind has been trained that way.

Now if the CIAA wanted Winston in the championship game representing the south because their fans travel better than other schools then say so and say it’s about money because teams/schools make no money off the championship football game only the CIAA and the city where it is played.

Fayetteville State has earned the right to play in the CIAA FOOTBALL Championship and it should already be a done deal.  SMH@CIAA
"I been through too much not to worship Him"

Fish and grits every morning and evening!

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: CIAA appears to have changed rules
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 11:04:07 AM »
If only they had moved the game back to Durham County Stadium this would not have been a issue.

Offline Platinum_Sound

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 11:29:05 AM »
As a graduate of two (2) CIAA schools I have been following CIAA Football since my playing days of 1986-1990 (when Chubb Rock jumped up on the scene).  I think I know the CIAA as well as anyone else ant the CIAA is full of “dodoo” when it comes to their new made up Football championship rules.

In the past all games against conference teams were not considered conference games but all designated conference games and head to head competition mattered.  My mind has been trained that way.

Now if the CIAA wanted Winston in the championship game representing the south because their fans travel better than other schools then say so and say it’s about money because teams/schools make no money off the championship football game only the CIAA and the city where it is played.

Fayetteville State has earned the right to play in the CIAA FOOTBALL Championship and it should already be a done deal.  SMH@CIAA

And that's not what's happening now. Our game vs Bowie State was considered non-conference. It's simple...best division % wins the division. Win Saturday and you're fine.
Shaw University - 61 CIAA Championships

2012 NCAA Women's Division II Basketball NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.

Shaw University Platinum Sound Marching Band 2008 Honda Battle of the Bands Participant.

Offline Warpaint

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 11:45:20 AM »

And that's not what's happening now. Our game vs Bowie State was considered non-conference. It's simple...best division % wins the division. Win Saturday and you're fine.

I agree with FSUHALL on this one, the head to head used to matter more than the division record up until this weekend when the CIAA posted a new criteria. 

It used to be total conference record first and then head to head was the first level for tie breaker.  Shaw has two conference losses (VSU and FSU) and FSU only has one with a lose to St Augs.  So under the previous rule FSU would have locked in their spot because if they lose to WSSU, and Shaw beats St Augs, the conference records of both schools would be 5-2 and FSU would have the head to head victory over Shaw.

Offline FSUHALL

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 12:18:05 PM »
It’s all about the CIAA wanting the WSSU crowd.

Offline Cub 7

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 12:27:28 PM »
From the conference website
2019 CIAA Football: Weekly Report #9
2019 CIAA Football: Weekly Report #9
Bookmark and Share 11/2/2019 3:58:00 PM
2019 CIAA Football Standings

2019 Composite Schedule

2019 Statistics

Things became clearer in week nine of the CIAA season as the Bowie State Bulldogs clinched their second straight Northern Division title and secured the first spot in the CIAA Football Championship, which takes place November 16th in Salem, VA. This week also provided a bit more clarity in the Southern Division race with one week remaining in the regular season. As a reminder, here’s how division winners are determined:

Tie-Breaker Policy

The Northern and Southern Division winners will be determined by the highest winning percentage of conference games won based upon the seven-game conference schedule.

1.      In case of a tie between divisional teams, the winner shall be determined as follows:
    a.      Divisional Win Percentage
    b.      Head-to-Head Competition
    c.      Results vs. Common Conference Opponents (to include point differential)
    d.      Coin Toss

Let’s look ahead at what’s at stake in the Southern Division race in week ten:

Southern Division Scenario

The scenario is simple. If Fayetteville State wins or both teams lose in the final week, the Broncos would advance to the Championship game.

If Shaw wins and Fayetteville State loses, the Bears would earn a berth in the CIAA Championship due to having a better divisional win percentage.

Fayetteville State will travel to face division rival Winston-Salem State while Shaw will host cross-town rival Saint Augustine’s.

Here are game summaries from this week’s contests:

Offline Platinum_Sound

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 12:29:20 PM »

I agree with FSUHALL on this one, the head to head used to matter more than the division record up until this weekend when the CIAA posted a new criteria. 

It used to be total conference record first and then head to head was the first level for tie breaker.  Shaw has two conference losses (VSU and FSU) and FSU only has one with a lose to St Augs.  So under the previous rule FSU would have locked in their spot because if they lose to WSSU, and Shaw beats St Augs, the conference records of both schools would be 5-2 and FSU would have the head to head victory over Shaw.

I do too....I remember the old way. But if this was the rule from the beginning of the season then so be it.
Shaw University - 61 CIAA Championships

2012 NCAA Women's Division II Basketball NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.

Shaw University Platinum Sound Marching Band 2008 Honda Battle of the Bands Participant.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 12:41:37 PM »

You are wrong, wrong, and more wrong. If the CIAA wanted WSSU in the championship, they would not have scheduled WSSU the two best teams from the North and counted them as games that matter in the standings. It appears as if they wanted FSU in, because ya'll was playing Micky Mouse while we had to play Alabama and Clemson from the North. So, please stop making up your alternative facts. But I think you are already in. If you lose, there will be a tie with Shaw in the overall conference and the divisional standings. This means that your head to head win over Shaw gets you in.

Offline MilesBear1

• Assistant GM
  • Mr. S.I.A.C./Mr. S.W.A.C.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MilesGoldenBears.com
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 12:49:09 PM »
Interesting situation.
"The Bears Den" and "The ASU Hornets Hive",WSSU
"CME Bowl Champions for Life"
Steel City Classic Champions:01,02,03,05,06
2004 Alabama State University SWAC Champs
2007 Football Attendance Champs
2011,2013,2015,2018,19 SIAC West Div.FB Champs
2011,2015-19 SIAC FB Champs
2011 Pioneer Bowl

Offline Cub 7

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 12:56:41 PM »
Do any of you truly believes the conference heads get together and says this is who we want in the championship game?!!

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 01:03:33 PM »
Do any of you truly believes the conference heads get together and says this is who we want in the championship game?!!

I really don't think they take actions to favor certain teams. My point was to show that FSU person that they had the advantage with this years random scheduling, not WSSU like he was suggesting.

Offline Warpaint

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2019, 01:18:48 PM »

I do too....I remember the old way. But if this was the rule from the beginning of the season then so be it.

Agreed, if it was the rule since the beginning of the season.  Can't seem to find the bylaws online to confirm if/when the tie-breaker rules were actually changed.

Offline FSUHALL

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2019, 01:36:29 PM »
Ram 55,

We played Bowie & VA Union & V State during the regular season 2,3, & 4 years ago when you all were playing Eliz City and Lincoln and Chowan so do no act like the tables were not turned.

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2019, 01:47:34 PM »
 :popcorn:
I'm an Army Civilian and former Soldier on the Army Team. I'm dedicated to my Army, Soldiers and Civilians. I will always support the mission. I provide stability and continuity during war and peace. I'll support and defend the Constitution and consider it an honor to serve our nation and my Army.

Offline Oldschoolram

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2019, 12:20:02 AM »

You are wrong, wrong, and more wrong. If the CIAA wanted WSSU in the championship, they would not have scheduled WSSU the two best teams from the North and counted them as games that matter in the standings. It appears as if they wanted FSU in, because ya'll was playing Micky Mouse while we had to play Alabama and Clemson from the North. So, please stop making up your alternative facts. But I think you are already in. If you lose, there will be a tie with Shaw in the overall conference and the divisional standings. This means that your head to head win over Shaw gets you in.

You are wrong, but not for the reason stated. This has been the format since St. Paul's dropped out. We were in the championship every year you played. People have been misled into thinking that the division games counted first.  They don't.  That's why y'all losing to The Sparrows put us back in the mix.  Had we won out, the tie breaker would be beating y'all head-to-head. We both would have been 5-2.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News