News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: TICKETS PUNCHED TO CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP  (Read 450 times)

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
TICKETS PUNCHED TO CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP
« on: November 03, 2019, 10:20:52 AM »
Tickets punched to CIAA Football Championship

Published: November 3, 2019
Bowie State University (9-0, 6-0) and Fayetteville State University (7-2, 5-1) have clinched division titles and can now look to a rematch of last year's CIAA football championship in Salem, Virginia.

The Bulldogs will be making their fourth appearance in the last five years hoping to repeat as champions while the Broncos will be making their third straight appearance looking to capture their first title in ten years. Ironically FSU's last title was in 2009 when they defeated Bowie State, 21-10 in Durham.

This year Bowie State earned its trip after knocking off Lincoln (Pa) 65-20 on Saturday to clinch this year's CIAA North Division crown.
Fayetteville State clinched the conference South Division title following a 32-0 defeat of Livingstone College and a Winston-Salem State loss to Shaw, 21-0.

Both teams have had smooth sailing through their regular season schedules except for FSU's 23-21 conference loss to Saint Augustine's on October 26 and a 34-24 loss to Wingate back in September.
Bowie State holds the distinction of being the only remaining undefeated team in Black College Football. They also enjoy national and regional rankings which should assure a playoff bid if they keep up their winning ways.
I'm an Army Civilian and former Soldier on the Army Team. I'm dedicated to my Army, Soldiers and Civilians. I will always support the mission. I provide stability and continuity during war and peace. I'll support and defend the Constitution and consider it an honor to serve our nation and my Army.

Offline BIG GRAY

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: TICKETS PUNCHED TO CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 12:22:38 PM »
Congrats BSU and FSU!
NCCU 2014, 2015 & 2016 Football MEAC CHAMPS

Offline Grambling '93

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 07:44:16 AM »
Now I don't know who wrote this article but it's not a done deal just yet. Both Shaw and FSU are 3-1 in the South. FSU did beat Shaw, but if FSU lays an egg at WSSU like they did last season, Shaw goes to the ship with a win over St. Aug.
"LEAD, FOLLOW OR GET THE HELL OUT THE WAY"
http://www.gram.edu/
http://www.gsutigers.com/

Offline Warpaint

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 09:12:36 AM »
CIAA is full of sh!t when it comes to the tie breaker rule for football.  Year in and year out they seem to randomly change the requirements to try and artificially make the regular season games count as long as they can.

Last year the tie breaker requirements were (https://theciaa.com/news/2018/10/30/2018-ciaa-football-report-week-8-championship-scenarios.aspx):

•The Northern and Southern Division winners will be determined by the highest winning percentage of conference games won based on the six game conference schedule. (it was a 6 game conference schedule because of the storms that cancelled a lot of games)
•In case of a tie between divisional teams, the winner shall be determined as follows: 
◦Head-to-Head Competition
◦Head-to Head Point Differential
◦Divisional Winning Percentage
◦Results vs. Common Conference Opponents
◦Coin Toss

However this year they have randomly decided to flip the head to head requirement with the divisional win requirement.  That serves as a real chance to screw FSU (https://theciaa.com/news/2019/11/1/2019-ciaa-football-weekly-report-9.aspx):

1.      In case of a tie between divisional teams, the winner shall be determined as follows:
     a.      Divisional Win Percentage
     b.      Head-to-Head Competition
     c.      Results vs. Common Conference Opponents (to include point differential)
     d.      Coin Toss

If I am FSU I am pissed because based off of last year's interpretation they would already be in.  Now if we beat them and Shaw wins they are out.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 09:16:49 AM »
Now I don't know who wrote this article but it's not a done deal just yet. Both Shaw and FSU are 3-1 in the South. FSU did beat Shaw, but if FSU lays an egg at WSSU like they did last season, Shaw goes to the ship with a win over St. Aug.

I think FSU has already clinched a ticket. Shaw already has two conference loses and FSU has only one. Even if WSSU beats FSU, they would still own the tie breaker because of their win over Shaw. They would be tied in the overall conference, and also tied in the Southern Division, so their head to head would be the tie breaker. Its the team that has the most conference wins that wins the division... not who has the best divisional wins.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 09:19:36 AM by Ram55 »

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 09:26:49 AM »
CIAA is full of sh!t when it comes to the tie breaker rule for football.  Year in and year out they seem to randomly change the requirements to try and artificially make the regular season games count as long as they can.

Last year the tie breaker requirements were (https://theciaa.com/news/2018/10/30/2018-ciaa-football-report-week-8-championship-scenarios.aspx):

•The Northern and Southern Division winners will be determined by the highest winning percentage of conference games won based on the six game conference schedule. (it was a 6 game conference schedule because of the storms that cancelled a lot of games)
•In case of a tie between divisional teams, the winner shall be determined as follows: 
◦Coin Toss

However this year they have randomly decided to flip the head to head requirement with the divisional win requirement.  That serves as a real chance to screw FSU (https://theciaa.com/news/2019/11/1/2019-ciaa-football-weekly-report-9.aspx):

1.      In case of a tie between divisional teams, the winner shall be determined as follows:
     d.      Coin Toss

If I am FSU I am pissed because based off of last year's interpretation they would already be in.  Now if we beat them and Shaw wins they are out.

HEY A--HOLE.  BE A BIT MORE CAREFUL WHEN YOU POST. I MERELY POSTED AN ARTICLE, WHICH I DID NOT WRITE.  WHEN YOU GO UNDEFEATED AND BEAT EVERYONE'S a**  YOU PLAY, GET BACK TO ME.  I REALLY COULD GIVE TWO SHITS ABOUT WHO OUR CIAA-SOUTH FOE IS OR WILL BE. WANNA KNOW WHY? :popcorn:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 09:32:30 AM by CIAA-FAN »
I'm an Army Civilian and former Soldier on the Army Team. I'm dedicated to my Army, Soldiers and Civilians. I will always support the mission. I provide stability and continuity during war and peace. I'll support and defend the Constitution and consider it an honor to serve our nation and my Army.

Offline Warpaint

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 09:35:12 AM »

◦Coin Toss

d.      Coin Toss

HEY A--HOLE.  BE A BIT MORE CAREFUL WHEN YOU POST.  I NEVER POSTED ANYTHING ABOUT A TIE BREAKER ROLE.  I REALLY COULD GIVE TWO SHITS ABOUT WHO OUR CIAA-SOUTH FOE IS OR WILL BE.  :popcorn:

If you are addressing me then you are way out of line.  Nothing in my post was directed toward you or Bowie.  You made a post about tickets, which means more than 1, being punched for the CIAA championship.  Then the write up you posted said FSU was in the championship game.  I agree that FSU should be in the championship game, but as Gambling 93 pointed out the South is not a done deal.  It's not a done deal because the CIAA has randomly changed the rule this year, which is what my post was about.

Dude I didn't come at you in anyway but it appears something got in you @$$ this morning so you can calm that mess down.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 09:37:48 AM by Warpaint »

Offline Warpaint

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 09:36:17 AM »

I think FSU has already clinched a ticket. Shaw already has two conference loses and FSU has only one. Even if WSSU beats FSU, they would still own the tie breaker because of their win over Shaw. They would be tied in the overall conference, and also tied in the Southern Division, so their head to head would be the tie breaker. Its the team that has the most conference wins that wins the division... not who has the best divisional wins.

That's how it used to be, but it seems like the conference randomly changed the rules this year.

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 09:41:11 AM »

That's how it used to be, but it seems like the conference randomly changed the rules this year.

WHO IS YOUR CIAA-SOUTH FAVORITE TO WIN THE CIAA TITLE?  :popcorn:

Offline Warpaint

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 09:57:55 AM »

I don't even really know what you are asking because I don't think anyone said a South team would be the favorite in a game with Bowie.

The only point I have been making is that FSU should have already earned their spot into the game, but that the conference has randomly changed the rule.  Now granted I think Shaw has a better chance at beating y'all then FSU, but that still doesn't mean I think either team is favored against Bowie.

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 02:59:11 PM »

I don't even really know what you are asking because I don't think anyone said a South team would be the favorite in a game with Bowie.

The only point I have been making is that FSU should have already earned their spot into the game, but that the conference has randomly changed the rule.  Now granted I think Shaw has a better chance at beating y'all then FSU, but that still doesn't mean I think either team is favored against Bowie.

OK, THEN.  :nod:

Offline Oldschoolram

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2019, 12:23:52 AM »
They have earned it.

I'm not sure where the divison stuff came from, but that comes AFTER the overall conference record.  Had we won out we would have won based on beating Fayetteville head-to-head.  We both would have been 5-2. Them losing last week is what got us back in the mix.

Offline Grambling '93

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 03:17:23 PM »
Per the CIAA website:

Southern Division Scenario

The scenario is simple. If Fayetteville State wins or both teams lose in the final week, the Broncos would advance to the Championship game.

If Shaw wins and Fayetteville State loses, the Bears would earn a berth in the CIAA Championship due to having a better divisional win percentage.

Fayetteville State will travel to face division rival Winston-Salem State while Shaw will host cross-town rival Saint Augustine’s.

https://theciaa.com/news/2019/11/1/2019-ciaa-football-weekly-report-9.aspx
"LEAD, FOLLOW OR GET THE HELL OUT THE WAY"
http://www.gram.edu/
http://www.gsutigers.com/

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2019, 04:54:29 PM »
Per the CIAA website:

Southern Division Scenario

The scenario is simple. If Fayetteville State wins or both teams lose in the final week, the Broncos would advance to the Championship game.

If Shaw wins and Fayetteville State loses, the Bears would earn a berth in the CIAA Championship due to having a better divisional win percentage.

Fayetteville State will travel to face division rival Winston-Salem State while Shaw will host cross-town rival Saint Augustine’s.

https://theciaa.com/news/2019/11/1/2019-ciaa-football-weekly-report-9.aspx

Well, it looks like Shaw is in!

Offline OgRamBall3r

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2019, 05:24:32 PM »
I would'nt be so sure....last year FSU had nothing to play for...this year they do!  Its not like we are some kind of offensive threat.  If we had an offense or someone running the offense that had the ability to make good decisions and make plays with their feet we could easily have been 8-1 or 7-2.  All I know is that its time for a house cleaning....a culture change just like that did at Lenoir Rhyne and look at them.  Their coach came from an NAIA school in GA.  I hope like hell we do not get one of these recycled CIAA coaches.  We could use a Scott from NSU, Barlow from VSU type or some other young, up and coming, offensive minded coach. Get someone out of the GSC but No more defensive coaches as the HC...not for a long time.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News