News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: TRUMP's GROTESQUE RACISM MATTERS  (Read 89 times)

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
TRUMP's GROTESQUE RACISM MATTERS
« on: October 22, 2019, 02:14:22 PM »
ANYONE WHO SPEAKS PUBLICALLY SHOULD KNOW THAT WORDS MATTER.  WORDS SPOKEN BY A CHIEF EXECUTIVE MATTER EVEN MORE BECAUSE THEY WILL PER PARSED, REVIEWED, ANALYSED, DISSECTED AND OFT TIME REPEATED IN VARIOUS CONTEXTS.  THIS PIECE IS OFFERED FOR YOUR REVIEW AND HOPEFULLY MEANINGFUL RESPONSES.  :popcorn:

By  Jennifer Rubin

Opinion writer
October 22 at 1:30 PM
Had President Trump not said there were “very fine people” on both sides of the neo-Nazi march in Charlottesville, his comment Tuesday comparing the constitutional process of impeachment to a “lynching” would have been the most racist comment uttered by a modern president.

Even more vile, we now see everyone from hapless White House spokesman Hogan Gidley to Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) — both white southerners — defend his noxious comparison.

The Washington Post reports:

President Trump’s comparison of the House impeachment inquiry to a “lynching” elicited immediate rebukes Tuesday from Democrats and several Republicans, who condemned Trump’s use of a term most associated with the barbaric hanging of African American men.

“You are comparing a constitutional process to the PREVALENT and SYSTEMATIC brutal torture of people in THIS COUNTRY that looked like me?” tweeted Rep. Karen Bass (D-Calif.), chairwoman of the Congressional Black Caucus.

Let’s not pretend the president, who has spent the past four years (starting with that ride down the Trump Tower escalator) stoking racism and trying to convince white Americans that they are the true victims of discrimination, just had a slip of the tongue or made an insulting racial comparison inadvertently.

Support for impeachment and removal is growing in recent polls. The evidence of impeachable conduct is overwhelming, and there has been no coherent defense of the president’s attempt to extort Ukraine into influencing the 2020 election. Trump therefore deploys a go-to move to buck up his base: He flaunts his racism, and invites his supporters to indulge in another bout of victimization.

The Post also reports that “House Majority Whip James E. Clyburn (D-S.C.), the highest-ranking African American in the House, said he is considering a floor vote to officially condemn Trump’s language.” I would strongly recommend he do so for several reasons.

First, Republicans need to be reminded how untenable it is for them politically and personally to keep defending a morally abhorrent figure. The price Republicans outside of super-safe red locales must pay for supporting Trump needs to go up. Their support for a racist, lawless president has to become in and of itself disqualifying.

Second, highlighting this incident exposes Republicans’ utter lack of credibility on race, making it that much harder for whites who do not consider themselves racist to turn a blind eye toward the nature of today’s Republican Party. When even the sole African American Republican senator, Tim Scott of South Carolina, issues a stomach-turning rationalization for Trump (“There’s no question that the impeachment process is the closest thing to a political death-row trial, so I get his absolute rejection of the process. I wouldn’t use the word ‘lynching’ ”), it underscores that one cannot be a Republican without signing up for the race-baiting that now characterizes so much of Trump’s rhetoric. Frankly, decent Republicans should welcome the opportunity to publicly repudiate Trump’s views.

Lastly, Trump and today’s GOP attack the notion of a multiracial and multiethnic democracy. That needs to be beaten back at every turn. The public must be reminded again and again by those in positions of power and influence that right-wing nativism is a threat to our diverse democracy. Normalizing Trump’s language by ignoring it or making light of it widens the already wide racial divide in our country. Those who make excuses or insist we not “politicize” race (as then-Speaker Paul D. Ryan did in refusing to bring a censure motion against Trump after Charlottesville) need a swift rebuke. Let’s hope the House carries through on Clyburn’s suggestion.
I'm an Army Civilian and former Soldier on the Army Team. I'm dedicated to my Army, Soldiers and Civilians. I will always support the mission. I provide stability and continuity during war and peace. I'll support and defend the Constitution and consider it an honor to serve our nation and my Army.

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: TRUMP's GROTESQUE RACISM MATTERS
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 02:18:33 PM »
Do not make a Black female historian angry.

https://twitter.com/ProfCAnderson/status/1186635504902643714

Offline oldsport

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 02:20:48 PM »
YOU GD IDIOTS!

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 02:23:11 PM »
YOU GD IDIOTS!

WHY DON'T YOU SIMPLY SHUT YOUR STUPID MOUTH UNTIL YOU ARE ABLE TO DEMONSTRATE EVEN A BASIC UNDERSTDING OF THE ISSUE?  :popcorn:
I'm an Army Civilian and former Soldier on the Army Team. I'm dedicated to my Army, Soldiers and Civilians. I will always support the mission. I provide stability and continuity during war and peace. I'll support and defend the Constitution and consider it an honor to serve our nation and my Army.

Online Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 02:59:48 PM »
Trump always reverts to racism when his back is against the wall.  That unites his base.

Offline Olde Hornet

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 07:02:26 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/22/politics/lynching-donald-trump-impeachment/index.html

Donald Trump's history on race makes his 'lynching' comment crystal clear

(CNN)On Tuesday morning, the President of the United States described the impeachment investigation against him as a "lynching." This is not by accident.
Throughout his life -- and especially in his latest turn as a politician -- Trump has shown a willingness to weaponize race for his own gain.
He has also shown that he possesses a deep and abiding victim complex, convinced he has been persecuted in ways that few, if any, people have ever endured in the history of the country.

By comparing his current situation to lynching, Trump is engaging in both the weaponizing of race and his sense of victimhood. He is purposely dredging up some of the darkest images of our country to vent his anger and rally his supporters to his cause.

It is, in a word, gross.
Olde Bama State Spirit!
Alabama State University

Offline Olde Hornet

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 07:05:01 PM »
Top Republicans in Congress break with Trump over 'lynching' comment

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/22/politics/republican-reaction-lynching-comment-impeachment/index.html

Washington (CNN)Top Congressional Republicans broke with President Donald Trump on Tuesday over the President's comparison of the impeachment inquiry to a "lynching."
House Republican leader Kevin McCarthy on Tuesday did not endorse the President's choice of words, saying, "That's not the language I would use" and "I don't agree with that language, it's pretty simple."
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell was also critical of the President's comment at a news conference later in the day.
"Given the history in our country, I would not compare this to a lynching. That was an unfortunate choice of words," said McConnell, a Republican from Kentucky.

McConnell went on to say that the process Democrats are using in the House to conduct the inquiry is "unfair."
Olde Bama State Spirit!
Alabama State University

Offline FunCkMaster

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 11:55:48 PM »
YOU GD IDIOTS!

Really dawg?  Really? Dang near 80 years old and that is what you've got? That's all you got now huh? :lol: Po' widdle Tink-Tink...
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY
2017, 2013 & 2003 CIAA MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS
2018 CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPS
2019, 2018, 2016, 2015, 2009, 2002 CIAA North Division Football Champions

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 08:46:18 AM »
YOU GD IDIOTS!

Really dawg?  Really? Dang near 80 years old and that is what you've got? That's all you got now huh? :lol: Po' widdle Tink-Tink...

WAIT! IS THIS "OLD SPORT" OR THE "other personality" CURSING ME?  :lol:

Online Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2019, 08:58:34 AM »
OS unlike YOU-- my nose is not a heat-seeking missile for trump's a** .

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News