News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Congressman Cummings passes away.  (Read 340 times)

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Congressman Cummings passes away.
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2019, 12:01:21 PM »
bluedog^^^saw April Ryan (sistah White House reporter) interviewed on CNN earlier this morning. She was a good friend of BOTH Mr. and Mrs. Cummings. April is also from Baltimore. She informed the CNN morning anchors that a special election to replace Cong. Cummings would likely be held January of next year.

I suspect there will be a mad scramble to succeed him because whoever wins the “special” election would likely have the advantage when the seat is next up for the general election in November, 2020.

Stay tuned......
Thanks

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • Adinkra Symbol for "Unbreakable" "Resilient"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2019, 01:01:18 PM »
Another giant has fallen!

Condolences to the family, friends, constituents, classmates and neighbors of ELIJAH CUMMINGS. And most especially to his wife Maya Rockeymoore Cummings and his children.

This is a personal loss. I met Elijah in 1972 when he was President of the Liberal Arts Student Council and I was a new staff member in the Office of Student Life and Activities at Howard University.  In later years I heard Elijah speak of his unlikely journey in life.

News reports repeat that his parents were former sharecroppers, but don't mention that both of them were Pentecostal ministers and preachers. News reports mention that he attended University of Maryland Law School, but the networks have not mentioned that he was an honors graduate of Howard University where he distinguished himself academically, personally and as a student leader.

When he spoke to students, he would tell them the story of his admission to Howard. He was designated as educable mentally retarded as a child with the prediction that we would not be able to read. Can there be another explanation other than racism for such a clearly incorrect "diagnosis?"  Yet when he qualified for admission to Howard, he had no financial wherewithal to attend.

He told students that he pestered Howard's legendary Director of Financial Aid Ms. Goldie Claiborne all summer. Finally, just prior to the Fall semester, she contacted Elijah and informed him that a student had turned down a full scholarship and she was awarding it to him. Whenever I heard him tell this story, he would say, "Whoever that person is, I thank them!"  Elijah said that attending Howard University was a pivotal experience in his life.
While I have great respect for all that Elijah Cummings achieved in the Maryland legislature and in Congress, I remember most the 1973 conversation I had with him standing in the Office of Student Life in the old Student Center - years before the Blackburn Center was built - on campus.

"Mr. Keene, you know what makes me different from other people?" I had no idea. He answered his own question, "I do what I say I am going to do."

On one of the networks this morning was a quote shown on the screen, "A man of his word."
They got that right!

Elijah, my Brother, may you rest in peace AND power with the Ancestors.  And may you, as you believed, "dance with the angels."

O0
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 02:25:15 PM by Bison66 »
Long Live Killmonger!

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2019, 01:38:59 PM »
Dumbass peckerheads out here confusing Elijah Cummings with John Lewis.   ::)

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2019, 02:11:56 PM »
Rest in peace to Congressman Cummings.  I went to Prairie View A&M with his wife, Maya.

https://twitter.com/Fly_Sistah/status/1184817672774701056

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2019, 02:31:08 PM »

SMDH

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2019, 02:36:46 PM »
No they're not. They are doing it out of disrespect

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2019, 02:45:03 PM »
No they're not. They are doing it out of disrespect

And that too, Bluedog...  :nod:

Offline Sierra

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2019, 02:52:27 PM »
Congressman Cummings in my opinion demonstrated courage and great knowledge during his tender in public service.
It's my wife and my hope, Congressman Cummings family, friends and contemporaries can find the strength to help them during this trying time.   
Do all the right things for the all the right reasons.Damn the consequences.

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2019, 02:56:26 PM »
Another giant has fallen!

Condolences to the family, friends, constituents, classmates and neighbors of ELIJAH CUMMINGS. And most especially to his wife Maya Rockeymoore Cummings and his children.

This is a personal loss. I met Elijah in 1972 when he was President of the Liberal Arts Student Council and I was a new staff member in the Office of Student Life and Activities at Howard University.  In later years I heard Elijah speak of his unlikely journey in life.

News reports repeat that his parents were former sharecroppers, but don't mention that both of them were Pentecostal ministers and preachers. News reports mention that he attended University of Maryland Law School, but the networks have not mentioned that he was an honors graduate of Howard University where he distinguished himself academically, personally and as a student leader.

When he spoke to students, he would tell them the story of his admission to Howard. He was designated as educable mentally retarded as a child with the prediction that we would not be able to read. Can there be another explanation other than racism for such a clearly incorrect "diagnosis?"  Yet when he qualified for admission to Howard, he had no financial wherewithal to attend.

He told students that he pestered Howard's legendary Director of Financial Aid Ms. Goldie Claiborne all summer. Finally, just prior to the Fall semester, she contacted Elijah and informed him that a student had turned down a full scholarship and she was awarding it to him. Whenever I heard him tell this story, he would say, "Whoever that person is, I thank them!"  Elijah said that attending Howard University was a pivotal experience in his life.
While I have great respect for all that Elijah Cummings achieved in the Maryland legislature and in Congress, I remember most the 1973 conversation I had with him standing in the Office of Student Life in the old Student Center - years before the Blackburn Center was built - on campus.

"Mr. Keene, you know what makes me different from other people?" I had no idea. He answered his own question, "I do what I say I am going to do."

On one of the networks this morning was a quote shown on the screen, "A man of his word."
They got that right!

Elijah, my Brother, may you rest in peace AND power with the Ancestors.  And may you, as you believed, "dance with the angels."

O0

This is a fantastic testimony to the man before he entered Congress.
We have lost a giant. What I hate is the powers that be in his state are already scrambling to get candidates to run for his seat.

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2019, 02:57:44 PM »

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2019, 02:58:00 PM »
 :no:^^^I honestly don’t wanna believe those mofos are INTENTIONALLY confusing Elijah Cummings with John Lewis. I thought they had stopped those “they all look alike” tactics. But I guess in this age of Trump, you can’t put ANYTHING past them.

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2019, 03:09:04 PM »
B66^^^I join Bison in complimenting you for that very beautiful, elegant and informative tribute to Cong. Cummings. The brutha spoke truth to power, and had my enduring admiration for the way he presided over the House Oversight Committee.

You mentioned that Cong. Cummings was an “honors” student at Howard. Indeed he was. Don’t know if you saw it, but at page 1 of this thread, bluedog posted the link to two Twitter clips. I believe it’s the second clip where the congressman is interviewed after his first election to the House in ‘96.

When asked to introduce himself to the viewers, he mentioned, among other things, that he made Phi Beta Kappa at Howard. It was a reminder to me that Howard is among just a handful of HBCU’s which have a chapter of that distinguished collegiate honors organization.

My prayers to the congressman’s family and may he Rest In Peace.  :angel:

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2019, 03:14:50 PM »
Rest in peace Congressman... :angel:

Teeny and Little

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2019, 06:19:12 PM »
Truly we have lost a political giant. May he rest in eternal peace. My prayers of strength and comfort to his family.
Never discuss cheese with a rat, bread with a bird or make moves with a snake.

Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Offline LULions

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lulions.com
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2019, 06:55:35 PM »
R.I.P Congressman Cummings. :( :'( :angel:
Melvin B. Tolson - '24
Langston Hughes - '29
President Nnamdi Azikiwe - '30
Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall - '30
President Kwame Nkrumah - '39

Advancing the Legacy of America‘s First Degree Granting HBCU: 1854

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News