News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Will this be the year a SIAC team will make the playoffs?  (Read 590 times)

Offline BlazerDawg

• Prophyte
    • View Profile
Re: Will this be the year a SIAC team will make the playoffs?
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2019, 02:44:39 PM »
Miles' game with Edward Waters will not help them though.

We've had to play them a couple of times when we couldn't get a D-II non-conference opponent. 

Honestly, I get tired of seeing EWC on the schedules.  ::)
And there is no guarantee that they are joining the SIAC either. They've only been INVITED.

Georgia Military College Class of 1996
Valdosta State University Class of 1998
The University of Georgia (grad school) Class of 2004

Offline SSUTigerFan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2019, 04:30:18 PM »
Valdosta State is a d2 school in name only.  They are really a FCS.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Tiger Pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2019, 05:02:10 PM »

With 11K-12K students, I'm surprised they have not made the move to FCS. I think their football team would still be quite competitive even on that level.

Offline BlazerDawg

• Prophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2019, 05:49:12 PM »

With 11K-12K students, I'm surprised they have not made the move to FCS. I think their football team would still be quite competitive even on that level.

Football would thrive, but it would be at the expense of every other program.

When I was in the student government at VSU, I posed the question to the AD back then as to moving to FCS.  At that time, the money was prohibitive, and I doubt that has changed.    It's probably gotten worse.  VSU has since added women's soccer.  I think we would have to add at least one more women's sport due to Title IX.

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2019, 09:42:20 PM »

When I was in the student government at VSU, I posed the question to the AD back then as to moving to FCS.  At that time, the money was prohibitive, and I doubt that has changed.    It's probably gotten worse.  VSU has since added women's soccer.  I think we would have to add at least one more women's sport due to Title IX.

If they give their football team 63 allowable scholarships to be FCS, they might have to add more than 1 women's sport,,,,,,,but won't they have to pony up 1 million dollars to move up from D2 to D1? If they ever do move up, I know Ga Southern will be happy to put them on their schedule as an FCS sacrificial lamb,,,,,,,,,,,,,
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 09:44:10 PM by punchy »
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Tiger Pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2019, 09:40:50 AM »
ut won't they have to pony up 1 million dollars to move up from D2 to D1?

:nod: Yes, as would any other D2 making the move to FCS/D1. And thats just for starters.  Unless that changes, I think we will rarely see ANY D2s looking to make the move to FCS/D1 anytime soon.

Offline MilesBear1

• Assistant GM
  • Mr. S.I.A.C./Mr. S.W.A.C.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MilesGoldenBears.com
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2019, 01:29:57 PM »
 :no:
"The Bears Den" and "The ASU Hornets Hive", WSSU
"CME Bowl Champions for Life"
Steel City Classic Champions 01,02,03,05,06
2004 Alabama State University SWAC Champs
2007 Football Attendance Champs
2011,2013,2015 SIAC West Div. Football Champions
2011,2015 SIAC Football Champs
2011 Pioneer Bow

Offline BlazerDawg

• Prophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2019, 01:58:56 PM »
One thing to add to the regional rankings discussion is earned access.  If Miles wins out, they would likely be in position to bump somebody even if they didn't climb into the top 7.

Also of note, the NCAA has changed the rules on the brackets this year, and the bottom teams in the bracket may get moved to another region  as the NCAA will decide those moves based upon travel costs.

Offline BlazerDawg

• Prophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2019, 02:07:17 PM »

If they give their football team 63 allowable scholarships to be FCS, they might have to add more than 1 women's sport,,,,,,,but won't they have to pony up 1 million dollars to move up from D2 to D1? ,,,

North Alabama studied the move, balked a little, and then jumped when they received a workable conference invitation.

The only two real conference possibilities for VSU would be the Southern Conference and the Big South.  The SoCon has stated that it will not accept any teams transitioning from D-II.  The Big South would be workable and would have some nice road game locations for football, but the other sports would have to travel more.

Mercer and Kennesaw  State would be good in-state games.  Samford would be interesting with the Chris Hatcher connection. 

FAMU would be an absolute blast as it would be easy travel for both teams.

Such a VSU jump would open the door for West Florida and maybe eventually Florida Tech.

I just don't see it happening unless the D-II scheduling simply becomes impossible.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Tiger Pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2019, 03:05:23 PM »
 :nod:   BlazerDawg, I see now...

thanks for explaining that
   ;)

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News