News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Florida girl, 6, arrested for battery by school resource officer for temper tant  (Read 105 times)

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Read more

A Florida grandmother claims her 6-year-old granddaughter was arrested by a resource officer after throwing a temper tantrum at school — which she says happened because the child suffers from sleep apnea.

Meralyn Kirkland says the child, Kaia Rolle, was acting out at Lucious and Emma Nixon Academy, a charter school in Orlando, as a result of lack of sleep. The 6-year-old was then brought to the principal's office.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
What ever happen to the days where you call the parents and have them come and take their troubled child back home with them?  Parents will fix the problem if they have to keep coming to the school.

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
What ever happen to the days where you call the parents and have them come and take their troubled child back home with them?  Parents will used to fix the problem if they have to keep coming to the school.

Not nowadays... :no:

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
What ever happen to the days where you call the parents and have them come and take their troubled child back home with them?  Parents will fix the problem if they have to keep coming to the school.

It's considered a suspension.  Too much paperwork.  If the child has an IEP it could mean meetings with staff and/or parents or both.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Tiger Pride!
    • View Profile
Florida cop suspended after arresting 6-year-old for throwing ‘tantrum’
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 08:55:30 AM »
 :nod: Good!
Dumb A$$!

A Florida police officer who arrested two children — including a 6-year-old girl for throwing a tantrum — has been suspended as his department investigates the shocking incidents, authorities said.

School Resource Officer Dennis Turner didn’t obtain the approval of his commanding officer before nabbing a 6-year-old and an 8-year-old on Thursday, Orlando Police Chief Orlando Rolon told News 6.

Department policy requires the officer to get approval for the arrest.

https://nypost.com/2019/09/22/florida-cop-suspended-after-arresting-6-year-old-for-throwing-tantrum/

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
ARREST OF A SIX-YEAR OLD FOR A TEMPER TANTRUM?
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 09:59:14 AM »
WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS?
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

A 6-year-old threw a tantrum at school. She was arrested and charged with battery.

Meralyn Kirkland speaks to WKMG in Orlando on Friday about her 6-year-old granddaughter, Kaia, getting arrested at school. (Screengrab via YouTube/WKMG-TV/WKMG-TV)

By   Allyson Chiu

September 23 at 6:49 AM 
Meralyn Kirkland couldn’t believe what she was being told.

The caller on Thursday had a message about her granddaughter, Kaia Rolle. The 6-year-old had been arrested at her Orlando charter school and was going to be taken to a juvenile facility.

“I say, ‘What do you mean she was arrested?’ ” Kirkland told WKMG on Friday.

There was “an incident,” Kirkland recalled the caller saying — Kaia “kicked somebody and she’s being charged.”

The Orlando Police Department said it is now investigating actions taken by Dennis Turner, the school resource officer who arrested Kaia and an 8-year-old student in separate events on the same day last week. Turner is accused of not following the department’s policy regarding juvenile arrests and has been suspended from his duties pending the outcome of an internal investigation, Orlando Police Chief Orlando Rolón said in a statement to The Washington Post. According to the policy, any arrest of a minor younger than 12 needs approval from a supervisor, which police say Turner did not obtain.

“As a grandparent of three children less than 11 years old this is very concerning to me,” Rolón said. “Our Department strives to deliver professional and courteous service. My staff and I are committed to exceeding those standards and expectations.”

Turner did not respond to a request for comment late Sunday.

Authorities declined to identify the two children who were arrested or disclose details about their cases, noting only that they were both students at a local charter school and charged with misdemeanors. Their arrests have renewed scrutiny on policing in schools, which advocates and studies say often unfairly targets students of color and those with disabilities, landing the young people in handcuffs for routine misbehavior.
I'm an Army Civilian and former Soldier on the Army Team. I'm dedicated to my Army, Soldiers and Civilians. I will always support the mission. I provide stability and continuity during war and peace. I'll support and defend the Constitution and consider it an honor to serve our nation and my Army.

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
The cop was terminated!
Never discuss cheese with a rat, bread with a bird or make moves with a snake.

Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
 I can't believe how y'all are so easily distracted.  If the officer put the girl in handcuff and transported her to the little doll house. Who directives do you think he was following? That child was a student of the school and the officer was an employee of the school as well.  Nothing is going to happen to a student on school grounds without the blessing of the school. Firing the officer was  a cop out to cover other a$$es.

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I can't believe how y'all are so easily distracted.  If the officer put the girl in handcuff and transported her to the little doll house. Who directives do you think he was following? That child was a student of the school and the officer was an employee of the school as well.  Nothing is going to happen to a student on school grounds without the blessing of the school. Firing the officer was  a cop out to cover other a$$es.
JT posted a link that the cop was suspended.  I posted that he was terminated.  How in that pea brain of yours did you come up with that stating facts is considered "easily distracted"???:crazy: I guess that's your way of trying to feel more important and astute than you really are.  :shrug:

P.S. What grand idea did you post to rectify the problem as you see it????
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 04:04:23 PM by Que82 »
Never discuss cheese with a rat, bread with a bird or make moves with a snake.

Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
According to the department, the arrest of any person under the age of 12 requires the approval of a watch commander, and this approval was not obtained in Kaia Rolle's case

https://www.kmov.com/news/florida-officer-fired-after--year-old-girl-arrested-for/article_7e5af394-decf-11e9-ab6a-eb0f8bddbc4f.html

Dayum Brother!!!!  :shrug:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 04:37:17 PM by Wildman78 »

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
JT posted a link that the cop was suspended.  I posted that he was terminated.  How in that pea brain of yours did you come up with that stating facts is considered "easily distracted"???:crazy: I guess that's your way of trying to feel more important and astute than you really are.  :shrug:

P.S. What grand idea did you post to rectify the problem as you see it????

The principle should be held accountable for allowing one of his/her students to be arrested and hauled off to jail. He likely held the door while the cop handcuffed and took her out. The resource officer, cop was following school policy, yet they fired him for not following a police departmental policy. Que,  which policy do you think is most agergeous, allowing a student to be taken out of the school or not getting permission to do it from your police department superior?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 05:08:06 PM by Capler »

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News