News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: DAVID MAKES MAN  (Read 219 times)

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
DAVID MAKES MAN
« on: September 18, 2019, 09:38:30 PM »
anyone watching this show on OWN?

Comes on Wednesday nights, first season.

The young man in the lead role is simply FANTASTIC.  Akili McDowell
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 09:46:38 PM by Maroon and Gray »

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: DAVID MAKES MAN
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 12:16:56 AM »
I have it recorded but have not started watching.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Tiger Pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 09:14:22 AM »
I kept seeing previews and wasn't really paying attention thinking this is DAVID MANN of David and Tamala Mann.  ::)  :lol: Now I gotta go back and actually look at it after I really paid attention to the preview...looks interesting.

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 04:45:33 PM »
Five Reasons Why Fraternity Members Will Find It Hard Not To Watch David Makes Man
https://hbcubuzz.com/2019/09/5-reasons-why-fraternity-members-will-find-it-hard-not-to-watch-david-makes-man/
July 4, 1881 - A Great Day in History...

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.” - Neil Gaiman

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 12:31:33 AM »
My God, just finished watching episode 1, and it was one of the best things I've ever seen on television.  Very intense. If it does not walk away with a stack of awards at the end of the year....

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 03:48:51 AM »
I saw him in Atlanta Saturday morning. Love the show. :nod:
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline stephen

• Prophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 09:00:32 AM »
I been on this show from the minute it premiered!  I've even been trying to get my friends to watch, but they slackin'.  This show is SOOOOOO good, but I've heard that one of the reasons OWN programming doesn't get more recognition is because the network doesn't have an established lobby.  From what I've been told, other networks (ahem, HBO, Netflix, NBC) have ENTIRE OFFICES DEDICATED to getting academy recognition for their shows and OWN doesn't.  I think that's how Oprah SHOULD be using her power, but :shrug: 

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 12:36:11 PM »
I been on this show from the minute it premiered!  I've even been trying to get my friends to watch, but they slackin'.  This show is SOOOOOO good, but I've heard that one of the reasons OWN programming doesn't get more recognition is because the network doesn't have an established lobby.  From what I've been told, other networks (ahem, HBO, Netflix, NBC) have ENTIRE OFFICES DEDICATED to getting academy recognition for their shows and OWN doesn't.  I think that's how Oprah SHOULD be using her power, but :shrug:

I think that was the major issue MoNique had with Lee Daniels. He wanted her to 'campaign' for the movie to strengthen it's award positioning. Hopefully as Oprah becomes more established in the business, she will play the game as well. 

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2019, 04:44:07 PM »

I guess that’s why Queen Sugar, Greenleaf, aren’t even mentioned for awards.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2019, 10:23:58 PM »
Is Greenleaf award worthy? Looks like a basic soap to me. Queen and David are on a different level.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2019, 12:01:03 AM »
Is Greenleaf award worthy? Looks like a basic soap to me. Queen and David are on a different level.

Soaps get nominations and Individual performances are nominated. Ever heard of Susan Lucci? 

The Have and Have Nots is straight up soap, but Angela Robinson should be nominated IMO for portrayal of Veronica Harrington.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 10:37:03 AM »

Soaps get nominations and Individual performances are nominated. Ever heard of Susan Lucci? 

The Have and Have Nots is straight up soap, but Angela Robinson should be nominated IMO for portrayal of Veronica Harrington.

You know good and well Susan Lucci is not the best example.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 10:41:06 AM »
why?  She's been nominated since forever.  Besides you inferred a soap isn't eligible and it is.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 07:45:16 PM »
I'm caught up watching  the show, but now I have reservations about the show . What do the writers want the main character to be? Same with the mother, they lost me when they had her sell  drugs to the struggling lady in the meeting. Then there is the motherly drag queen sucking off the drug dude, and exposing her real side as a con artist as well. DJ's friend parents are both total monsters,... :brickwall:

This series is beginning to feel like The Wire. Meaning, everybody  and everything is crappy. That was the main reason I was not a big fan of the show. The read world consists of both good and evil.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 07:50:00 PM by Capler »

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2019, 08:26:07 PM »
How many on here grew up in an environment where as soon as you walked out the door, criminal activity was staring at you 24/7?

That said David’s school teacher and the counselor are not shady people.

Let the show play out before you start trashing it. David is trying to do the right thing, IMO.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News