News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: WATCHING KEN BURNS' "COUNTRY MUSIC"?  (Read 66 times)

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
WATCHING KEN BURNS' "COUNTRY MUSIC"?
« on: September 18, 2019, 12:06:32 PM »
I AM NOT A FAN OF COUNTRY MUSIC, BUT I AM A FAN OF KEN BURNS' DOCUMENTARIES. I DECIDED TO WATCH THE SECOND EPISODE OF "COUNTRY MUSIC" AND I AM NOW MORE THAN EVER CONVINCED THAT MR. KEN BURNS IS A NATIONAL TREASURE.  I BELIEVE I ENJOYED IT BECAUSE I AM A LOVER OF AMERICAN HISTORY AND THIS WAS A NEW FOUND ASPECT OF WHICH I HAD LITTLE REAL KNOWLEDGE OF.  I FOUND MYSELF TOTALLY ENGROSSED IN THIS STORY, I LEARNED QUITE A LOT AND NOW HAVE A NEW FOUND RESPECT FOR COUNTRY MUSIC AND ITS INFLUENCE IN OUR SOCIETY AND CULTURE. I LEARNED QUITE A BIT ABOUT THE INFLUENCE OF AFRICAN-AMERICANS IN COUNTRY MUSIC TOO. KEN BURNS IS A MASTER STORYTELLER.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 12:09:48 PM by CIAA-FAN »
I'm an Army Civilian and former Soldier on the Army Team. I'm dedicated to my Army, Soldiers and Civilians. I will always support the mission. I provide stability and continuity during war and peace. I'll support and defend the Constitution and consider it an honor to serve our nation and my Army.

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: WATCHING KEN BURNS' "COUNTRY MUSIC"?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 12:48:55 PM »
When time permits. GOOGLE the Carolina Chocolate Drops. :tiptoe:

Not country per se but a vital band in a genre .

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 01:58:56 PM »
When time permits. GOOGLE the Carolina Chocolate Drops. :tiptoe:

Not country per se but a vital band in a genre .

WILCO.
I'm an Army Civilian and former Soldier on the Army Team. I'm dedicated to my Army, Soldiers and Civilians. I will always support the mission. I provide stability and continuity during war and peace. I'll support and defend the Constitution and consider it an honor to serve our nation and my Army.

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 02:14:40 PM »
I HAVE ALWAYS HAD AN INTELLECTUAL CURIOUSITY ABOUT APPARENT HISTORICAL OXIMORONS; i.e. BLACK CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS, JEWISH GUARDS IN CONCENTRATION CAMPS AND REPUBLICAN CHICKEN HAWKS. LIKE MANY OF MY GENERATION, WHEN I HEAR COUNTRY MUSIC I ALMOST ALWAYS AUTOMATICALLY CHATERGORIZE THOSE MUSICIANS AND THEIR FOLLOWERS AS RACISTS. I AM ALSO SMART ENOUGH TO KNOW THAT NOTHING IS EVER AS IT APPEARS SOLELY ON THE SURFACE AND THAT A TRULY A WISE MAN WILL TAKE THE TIME TO UNCOVER THE SHELL, TO SEEK THE TRUTH. I AM RECORDING THE "COUNTRY MUSIC" DOCUMENTARY AND WILL HAVE MORE TO SAY ABOUT IT AFTER WATCHING THE ENTIRE SERIES.  :nod:

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 04:30:19 PM »
I HAVE ALWAYS HAD AN INTELLECTUAL CURIOUSITY ABOUT APPARENT HISTORICAL OXIMORONS; i.e. BLACK CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS, JEWISH GUARDS IN CONCENTRATION CAMPS AND REPUBLICAN CHICKEN HAWKS. LIKE MANY OF MY GENERATION, WHEN I HEAR COUNTRY MUSIC I ALMOST ALWAYS AUTOMATICALLY CHATERGORIZE THOSE MUSICIANS AND THEIR FOLLOWERS AS RACISTS. I AM ALSO SMART ENOUGH TO KNOW THAT NOTHING IS EVER AS IT APPEARS SOLELY ON THE SURFACE AND THAT A TRULY A WISE MAN WILL TAKE THE TIME TO UNCOVER THE SHELL, TO SEEK THE TRUTH. I AM RECORDING THE "COUNTRY MUSIC" DOCUMENTARY AND WILL HAVE MORE TO SAY ABOUT IT AFTER WATCHING THE ENTIRE SERIES.  :nod:

No you won't.  Stop lying.

Spoiler alert!  If not for Blacks there would be no country nor bluegrass music.   

Too bad you people are too Black to listen to it.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 05:54:27 PM »

Spoiler alert!  If not for Blacks there would be no country nor bluegrass music.   

ANSWER TWO QUESTIONS BEFORE I EVEN RESPOND TO YOUR DUMB a** .  ARE YOU WATCHING THE DOCUMENTARY?  DO YOU LISTEN TO COUNTRY MUSIC?  ARE YOU BLACK ENOUGH TO LISTEN TO IT?  :lmao:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 05:59:27 PM by CIAA-FAN »

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 06:06:27 PM »

ANSWER TWO QUESTIONS BEFORE I EVEN RESPOND TO YOUR DUMB a** .  ARE YOU WATCHING THE DOCUMENTARY?  DO YOU LISTEN TO COUNTRY MUSIC?  ARE YOU BLACK ENOUGH TO LISTEN TO IT?  :lmao:

c-f has nothing to add.  He's resorted to name calling.  He also can't count.  That's why he couldn't get into the Air Force.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 08:48:27 AM »

c-f has nothing to add.  He's resorted to name calling.  He also can't count.  That's why he couldn't get into the Air Force.

IF MAYBE YOU BOTHERED TO WATCH WE COULD THEN HAVE A REASONABLE CONVERSATION.  WHY DOES YOUR "NAME CALLING, NOTHING TO ADD" RESPONSE NOT SURPRISE ME?  BECAUSE IT IS YOUR STANDARD RESPONSE WHEN YOU HAVE NOTHING SUBSTANTITIVE TO ADD.  ...AND YES, I DID WATCH LAST EVENING'S EPISODE.

Offline Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 09:03:02 AM »
CIAA Fan- Had the same experience in Korea- one night at 2nd division we had a party in our officer's barracks, They had a country and western band. About one hour into the music they started playing R&B and soul like they grew up with it.

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 09:29:34 AM »
CIAA Fan- Had the same experience in Korea- one night at 2nd division we had a party in our officer's barracks, They had a country and western band. About one hour into the music they started playing R&B and soul like they grew up with it.

FOR THE MOST PART THE MILITARY TRIES TO ACCOMODATE EACH AND EVERY ONE. I REMEMBER WHILE STATIONED IN GERMANY IN THE EARLY 80s, THE SOLE AFN (ARMED FORWARD NETWORK) RADIO STATION HAD C&W MUSIC ON ONE DAY, R&B ON ANOTHER, EASY LISTENING, CLASSICAL... AND SO ON AND SO ON. IF YOU WANTED TO LISTEN TO AMERICAN RADIO THER, AFN WAS YOUR ONLY CHOICE.  WHILE I AM STILL NOT A COUNTRY MUSIC FAN, BACK THEN I LISTENED TO EVERYTHING ON AFN, AS IT WAS MY ONLY TOUCH WITH ANY AMERICAN MUSIC. I DIDN'T LIKE GERMAN COMMERICAL RADIO AT ALL.  I WAS BACK IN GERMANY A FEW YEARS AGO AND NOW YOU CAN FIND JUST ABOUT ANYTHING YOU WANT TO LISTEN TO ON GERMAN COMMERCIAL RADIO -AND- THERE ARE THREE (3) AFN STATIONS!

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News