News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: This Black Lawyer Who Refuses to Cut His Locks to Make His Colleagues Feel Bette  (Read 76 times)

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Grrr!
    • View Profile

Marcus Shute Jr., a 34-year old lawyer from Nashville, raised a few eyebrows when he decided to grow his locks in 2002. But he still refuses to cut his hair in hopes to make a point that his personal appearance should not affect his professional career! In fact, Shute is a well sought-after lawyer and he runs his own law firm in Nashville, Tennessee.

"Many times during my matriculation through undergrad/law school and in my professional career I was told I would not be successful as an attorney if I didn't cut my locs," Shute said in an interview with The Shade Room.

Shute also said he had experienced being disregarded for promotion even though he technically deserved it just because he "did not fit the look." At one time, he said a judge even mistook him as a client instead of a law student.

Despite that, he chose to be authentic and not to conform to the industry's so-called standards. His experiences also inspired him to open his own law practice. He wanted most of his colleagues and clients to relate to him.

https://www.blackbusiness.com/2019/08/marcus-shute-black-lawyer-refuses-cut-make-colleagues-feel-better.html?m=1&fbclid=IwAR3659R4Sxs-k3RmAuw-3w0_zdkBejmY3_wKDKykp1EbIWa8YKNx5i4WtyI

:clap: Good for you, brother!!!   :nod:

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Grrr!
    • View Profile
Tennessee State
and Nashville School of Law alum!

http://www.shutelaw.com/

« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 09:34:39 AM by Jay_Thomas »

Online Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
If he was a flaming homosexual they wouldn't have a problem.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
 :clap: :clap: :clap: Good for him!  :nod:

Wh(?)y,  :nono2: stop trying to bring people into your sphere...

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
JT and board............

When I first saw the topic before clicking the link to get the details, I had in mind this brutha lawyer who practices in Nashville with long, flowing dreadlocks. So imagine my surprise when I clicked on the topic and VOILA! It’s Marcus.  :lol:

Guys, the first time I saw him roaming the criminal court building, I complimented him for his independent spirit. In a relatively conservative culture like Nashville, a brutha lawyer rocking locks is a big deal. But Marcus seems to command the respect of EVERYBODY!! I really admire young black professionals who do NOT conform to conventional tastes of dress, style and appearance.  :clap:

Btw, there are two particular colors that Marcus rocks that I have teased him about, but says it STILL makes him a good guy. Marcus is a member of the boys who honor purple and gold. :lol:

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News