News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Age of the megadeal: Do athletes make too much money?  (Read 152 times)

Offline World_Famed

• Neophyte
  • Grambling State
    • View Profile
Age of the megadeal: Do athletes make too much money?
« on: September 10, 2019, 09:20:24 AM »
I have always felt this way for a long time about professional athletes.  Does it really take them making this much money "to play sports"?  Its halfway a privilege to play sports.  Why the pay?  And then we wonder why we are facing a Recession in 2020? I mean thousands of professional athletes making this amount of money "playing sports"...

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2019/0513/Age-of-the-megadeal-Do-athletes-make-too-much-money

Kappa Kappa Psi, Spr.05, Epsilon Rho
Grambling State University

Offline Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Age of the megadeal: Do athletes make too much money?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 09:45:34 AM »
"Money is like sex- too much is just enough"- John J. Rockefeller

Offline Devin

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 09:48:05 AM »
I have always felt this way for a long time about professional athletes.  Does it really take them making this much money "to play sports"?  Its halfway a privilege to play sports.  Why the pay?  And then we wonder why we are facing a Recession in 2020? I mean thousands of professional athletes making this amount of money "playing sports"...

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2019/0513/Age-of-the-megadeal-Do-athletes-make-too-much-money

They’re actually underpaid relative to their value to the industry they’re in.  I mean, salary caps do exist.

Offline World_Famed

• Neophyte
  • Grambling State
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 10:17:42 AM »
Really.... Ok.. 
 I guess I'm :dedhorse:
Kappa Kappa Psi, Spr.05, Epsilon Rho
Grambling State University

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 11:37:51 AM »
Yup. They make too much money.
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline Devin

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 11:42:18 AM »
Really.... Ok.. 
 I guess I'm :dedhorse:

Yes, they are underpaid. By a whole lot.

Offline CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 12:41:23 PM »

They’re actually underpaid relative to their value to the industry they’re in.  I mean, salary caps do exist.

I agree, they are generating the money so why shouldn't they get paid for the money they generate?  :shrug: Who should the money they generate go to?

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 01:22:50 PM »

Speaking as a teacher, HELL YES they make too much money. I know I chose my profession, but I was not athletically blessed to do some of the things these guys are doing on the football field, baseball field, basketball court, etc. But I do feel that my job and career is just as important as these athletes feel for theirs. And I think we teachers should be fairly compensated financially as well!
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 04:29:06 PM »
So, nothing in the conversation about the billions the owners make if they're paying the athletes this kind of money? Do sports franchise owners make too much money?? Do endorsers who endorse athletes make too much money??

Offline AntonioM229

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 04:44:31 PM »

Speaking as a teacher, HELL YES they make too much money. I know I chose my profession, but I was not athletically blessed to do some of the things these guys are doing on the football field, baseball field, basketball court, etc. But I do feel that my job and career is just as important as these athletes feel for theirs. And I think we teachers should be fairly compensated financially as well!
The school system don't make billions like pro sports do.

Offline CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 08:32:30 PM »

I’m in education as well. Educators should make more money but that is ultimately up to the taxpayers.

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 10:45:59 AM »
So, nothing in the conversation about the billions the owners make if they're paying the athletes this kind of money? Do sports franchise owners make too much money?? Do endorsers who endorse athletes make too much money??

Again, I ask?

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 10:52:42 AM »
SoFlo....we are thinking along the same lines. Very few question the salaries of CEO’s and corporate types. These owners are freaking raking in the cash and fly waynunder the proverbial public perception radar screen of scrutiny.

Good old John Q Public will build these billionaires new stadiums to further enhance the owners wealth but will quickly question how that same owner is paying their star athlete pennies on that same dollar they just spent at that stadium. But it’s the players fault.....

Mike Brown is the biggest thief of all time. If there was ever a revolt, the Bungle fanbase should lead it....

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 01:07:29 PM »
Exactly, 87. They will attack the players all day, but give the owners who are raking in billions a pass. And completely missing the fact that owners are not going to price themselves to a point where they lose money. That ain't the way the game (pun intended) works. They operate on the premise that if I pay you $10, I'm going to make a $100. :nod:

Offline Devin

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2019, 07:24:59 PM »

Everyone would say that teaching is a more valuable career to society than athletics. But the difference is -- which might not be fair -- is that these athletes only have a really short window to cash in their talent and ability. The average pro career is less than 8 years. In the NFL, it's 4 years. You have a longer window to make as much money as possible in your career than a pro athlete will ever.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News