News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: More women are playing sports. Why is no one watching? (CS Monitor)  (Read 111 times)

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
Why should inspiration be limited to one gender? Grassroots efforts are aimed at making the stories of all athletes, regardless of sex, known to the public. The first step: engaging fans.
https://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/2019/0909/More-women-are-playing-sports.-Why-is-no-one-watching
July 4, 1881 - A Great Day in History...

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.” - Neil Gaiman

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: More women are playing sports. Why is no one watching? (CS Monitor)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 08:36:16 PM »
The ratings for the WNBA have risen.  :clap:

Offline Ivan

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 02:45:15 PM »
I think the problem has to do with the fact that women would rather watch men play sports, and men would rather watch men play sports. If there were some way to get more women to support women athletes through attendance and viewership, this would not be a problem.
I am now on Facebook! Come check me out...
 http://www.facebook.com/people/Ivan-Guillory/1249473291

SIAC All Sports Champions - 1990, ‘91, ‘92, ‘00, ‘01, ‘02, ‘06, ‘08

Offline A&T AGGIE 96

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 06:04:39 PM »
I think the problem has to do with the fact that women would rather watch men play sports, and men would rather watch men play sports. If there were some way to get more women to support women athletes through attendance and viewership, this would not be a problem.

^^^^This^^^^

They are trying to sell a product nobody wants to see.

Offline Ivan

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 11:31:03 PM »
I'm not sure I totally agree with that. I've been going to WNBA games for the past twenty years and have gone to games where there were 15,000+ fans in the stands. So, I don't think that no one wants to see it. However, I'm not sure women's sports will ever have as large of a following as men's sports...........................except MAYBE tennis.....maybe
I am now on Facebook! Come check me out...
 http://www.facebook.com/people/Ivan-Guillory/1249473291

SIAC All Sports Champions - 1990, ‘91, ‘92, ‘00, ‘01, ‘02, ‘06, ‘08

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 10:42:10 AM »

^^^^This^^^^

They are trying to sell a product nobody wants to see.

i wouldn't say "nobody" wants to see it.  i know i luv watching women's sports, maybe not as much as the men, but i luv it nonetheless.  only difference between men's and women's sports other than gender is that men are bigger, stronger, and more "athletic" than women.  other than that, the women are just as "fundamentally sound" as the men are and they play a much cleaner game than the men.

i enjoy watching both men and women...

Offline A&T AGGIE 96

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 10:52:09 AM »

Ahhh, to each his own. I’ve tried it, but just can’t get into women’s sports...I can watch woman’s tennis and track...I’ve even gone to a couple WNBA games but I don’t watch it on TV.

Heck most women I know don’t even wanna watch woman’s sports.

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 11:21:12 AM »
I think you have to seek it out. I watch :

Track and field (NCAa and Diamond League) events
WNBA (Mystics fan here)
College basketball mostly tournament games
Volleyball
Some  lacrosse  soccer

But you have to drill down to find it and the casual fan won't take the time to do that. :shrug:
This year there was a woman only racing series in Europe called the W Series.

https://wseries.com/
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 11:24:15 AM by Bison 4 Life »

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News