News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: EDDIE LEVERT SCOLDS BLACK FOLKS OVER POPEYES CHICKEN SANDWICH FRENZY:  (Read 329 times)

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Read more

Eddie Levert, the lead singer of The O’Jays, didn’t mince his words about the ongoing Popeyes crispy chicken sandwich craze during his acceptance speech at BLACK ENTERPRISE’s Black Men XCEL, an annual four-day summit that recognizes and empowers men of color. The legendary soul singer gave a harsh critique of the chicken-lovers standing in notoriously long lines for a bite of the wildly popular sandwich.

“It’s not just about me and the popularity and the records and all of that. This is about my people and that’s what I want to convey to the younger people — that this is not just about you and the bling and the cars. This is about our culture and about what we need to represent our people and how we need to represent our people,” said the songwriter while accepting his Black Men XCEL award last week. He then, however, claimed that those who are fueling the frenzy are a bad reflection of the African American community. “I really wish they would show it by not trying to buy that Popeye’s chicken sandwich,” he said as the audience laughed. “It would be a different thing if they owned the franchise. I could understand it if we were going to make money from that and it was going to benefit our culture. But you’re making a mockery of who we are and it shames me.”
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: EDDIE LEVERT SCOLDS BLACK FOLKS OVER POPEYES CHICKEN SANDWICH FRENZY:
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 08:00:37 AM »
I saw his son being restrained to death in a mental hospital....while the song casanova played in the background :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 10:18:40 AM »
I saw his son being restrained to death in a mental hospital....while the song casanova played in the background :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So you think his on dying in police custody is funny? No wonder women in Atlanta ignore you . :tiptoe:

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 11:25:43 AM »

So you think his on dying in police custody is funny? No wonder women in Atlanta ignore you . :tiptoe:

He should have paid the child support. Maybe Eddie should have taught his son that important fact instead of scolding the rest of us for liking a chicken sandwich. :shrug:

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 12:13:03 PM »
How is that different from folk standing in line for hours to get into an OJay's concert? The only difference is that those folk  can afford the chicken sandwich. I'm just sayin!  :shrug:

Online Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 01:01:12 PM »

He should have paid the child support. Maybe Eddie should have taught his son that important fact instead of scolding the rest of us for liking a chicken sandwich. :shrug:
Congrats you have finally made it to oldsport's level as an official OW POS.   ::)
Never discuss cheese with a rat, bread with a bird or make moves with a snake.

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 06:45:43 PM »

Congrats you have finally made it to oldsport's level as an official OW POS.   ::)

:nono2: That train arrived months ago... :nod:

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 10:07:10 PM »

Knee grow please.  The way you celebrate when a Republican dies.  You speak with forked tongue.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Online Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 09:33:21 AM »

Knee grow please.  The way you celebrate when a Republican dies.  You speak with forked tongue.
you taking about someone speaking with forked tongue is like trump taking about mark sanford's affair, ::)

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 09:52:43 PM »
 :-X :-X
 :laugh:

Teeny and Little

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 09:56:04 PM »
I mean, its easy to trash people for wanting a sandwich.

Why couldnt his boy pay his child support? :shrug:

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 10:37:36 PM »

Why are you holding one grown a$$ adult responsible for what another grown a$$ adult does? Stay focus on things you can potentially change, the living. Dead folk business is a road that leads to nowhere.

Online Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 08:38:18 PM »
Eddie Levert's mother stayed down the street from me when I was growing up.  I used to see him and his son's quite often.  He has/had, I don't know her status now, a little sister who was a little younger than me.

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 09:26:52 PM »

Why are you holding one grown a$$ adult responsible for what another grown a$$ adult does? Stay focus on things you can potentially change, the living. Dead folk business is a road that leads to nowhere.

That was still his son.

Adults make mistakes.

A grown man not taking care of the kids he brings in this world is 100% on HIS parents not raising him right.

Eddie Levert absolutely failed his own son, but not wants to talk to us about our behavior? He should hold his head in shame.

Online Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2019, 10:17:02 AM »

That was still his son.

Adults make mistakes.

A grown man not taking care of the kids he brings in this world is 100% on HIS parents not raising him right.

Eddie Levert absolutely failed his own son, but not wants to talk to us about our behavior? He should hold his head in shame.
Are we to assumed then that your daddy, father, pops, sperm donor or whatever you know him as, failed you because he allowed you to amass such great debt from Morehouse???? Asking for Eddie. :tiptoe:

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News