News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: It’s Time for Black Athletes to Leave White Colleges  (Read 508 times)

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
It’s Time for Black Athletes to Leave White Colleges
« on: September 05, 2019, 10:18:34 AM »
In the summer of 2018 Kayvon Thibodeaux, who was then ranked as the top high-school football player in America, visited Florida A&M University, in Tallahassee. When a player of Thibodeaux’s caliber visits a perennial football power—say, Alabama—it’s called Wednesday. But when he visits a historically black college or university (HBCU) like Florida A&M, it threatens to crack the foundation on which the moneymaking edifice of college sports rests.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/10/black-athletes-should-leave-white-colleges/596629/

Offline JBTheEagle

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: It’s Time for Black Athletes to Leave White Colleges
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 10:47:41 AM »
None of this matters if the $ ain't there. Alums, supporters, corporations, and communities have to spend/donate with our programs.

Generation Z likes shiny things, nice facilities, gear etc. It doesn't have to be P5 level, just something nice enough to entice them and their families.

I think there's some selfishness in this notion of top black kids should go to HBCUs. You're  asking an 18 year to have the foresight, knowledge and bravery to say "I'm going against the norm" or "I want to help bring HBCUs back to glory." These kids will to do what they want, they might not understand a PWI is a bad fit until they're 2 years into school or 15 years later when they go back to campus. That's why it's on us to emphasize the importance with our $. The folks on these HBCU message boards understand it so I might be preaching to the choir, but we gotta get our fair weather friends/non-financial supporting folks onboard

I've worked with a few former P5 football players over the years and I never hesitated to bring up NCCU and HBCUs. They didn't fully understand my affinity, but they would say they wished they could go back to their campus/homecoming and feel the same pride.

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 10:55:32 AM »
None of this matters if the $ ain't there. Alums, supporters, corporations, and communities have to spend/donate with our programs.

Generation Z likes shiny things, nice facilities, gear etc. It doesn't have to be P5 level, just something nice enough to entice them and their families.

I think there's some selfishness in this notion of top black kids should go to HBCUs. You're  asking an 18 year to have the foresight, knowledge and bravery to say "I'm going against the norm" or "I want to help bring HBCUs back to glory." These kids will to do what they want, they might not understand a PWI is a bad fit until they're 2 years into school or 15 years later when they go back to campus. That's why it's on us to emphasize the importance with our $. The folks on these HBCU message boards understand it so I might be preaching to the choir, but we gotta get our fair weather friends/non-financial supporting folks onboard

I've worked with a few former P5 football players over the years and I never hesitated to bring up NCCU and HBCUs. They didn't fully understand my affinity, but they would say they wished they could go back to their campus/homecoming and feel the same pride.

Good post

Offline Decks

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 11:05:36 AM »
Uphill battle. Money and exposure controls where kids and families decide to play. If we ever come up with a remedy to this we can enter the game.

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 11:09:51 AM »

Good post
This is the con job that has been sold and is still being sold. They made what was once a simple sport into an arms race for one purpose and one purpose only. To have the biggest and shiniest toy in the building. To use and convince players that if you don't have these toys, you can t make it. Just forget they didn't have the toys years ago during the 60''/70's and hbcu's were putting just as many and in a lot of cases more athletes then they were. Facts be damn. Obviously it's more to it, but at the end of the day. If we don't stop buying into their propaganda it'll never happen. Not because of anything they would have done out of the norm. But because of what we failed to do.

Offline oldsport

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 04:24:57 PM »
This babe is talking nonsense - period. Just imagine the reverse, if whites told whites to stop going to HBCU's. This babe gets her $'s from a white publication and white media. WHAT A CROCK.
So called leftest elitist K----s like Hill will be wish misery on black people to promote their sick leftest ideology.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 04:29:56 PM by oldsport »

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 04:44:13 PM »
This babe is talking nonsense - period. Just imagine the reverse, if whites told whites to stop going to HBCU's. This babe gets her $'s from a white publication and white media. WHAT A CROCK.
So called leftest elitist K----s like Hill will be wish misery on black people to promote their sick leftest ideology.

You know she's a registered Republican? She was doxxed a couple of years back and that was floated on the net. :tiptoe:

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 10:24:04 PM »

You know she's a registered Republican? She was doxxed a couple of years back and that was floated on the net. :tiptoe:

So what of she's a register Republican. Even though I have serious thoughts about accuracy of that.   Btw what is doxxed?

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 11:52:48 PM »

So what of she's a register Republican. Even though I have serious thoughts about accuracy of that.   Btw what is doxxed?

Doxing
DescriptionDoxing or doxxing is the Internet-based practice of researching and broadcasting private or identifying information about an individual or organization. The methods employed to acquire this information include searching publicly available databases and social media websites, hacking, and social engineering. Wikipedia

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 12:06:26 AM »

Doxing
DescriptionDoxing or doxxing is the Internet-based practice of researching and broadcasting private or identifying information about an individual or organization. The methods employed to acquire this information include searching publicly available databases and social media websites, hacking, and social engineering. Wikipedia
Lol.... i,swear to God it never cease to amaze me at the fascination we have with creating fancy/new term for a simple act.

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 06:11:25 AM »
Welcome to 2019 where everything old is new again.

As for the subject. This has been argued on HBCU sports sites since Day #1. We all know it will never happen . But it gets us riled up for a day or two.

Offline j1908

• Assistant GM
  • A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 10:17:33 AM »
She definitely got the clear folks stirred up :lol:
WE ARE ALL  IMPORTANT BUT I AM FASCINATING !!!!!

Online CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2019, 10:42:21 AM »

Yes she did, they don't want to lose their running and jumping negroes.

Offline RamMan4Life

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2019, 10:58:48 AM »

Heaven forbid !
A past to cherish....a future to fulfill.

Class of '92

Home of the1960 Albany State College Rams, who finished the season UNDEFEATED and a DEFENSE UNSCORED UPON!!

KAPPA ALPHA PSI FRATERNITY,INC.
 "Detrimental" Delta Xi Chapter

Online Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2019, 11:09:09 AM »

:lol:....are you suggesting, CU, that the good fine, Christian white folks in places like Gainesville, Athens, Tuscaloosa, Knoxville and the like are really not interested in making good citizens of the negroes on the local university football team?

;D

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News