News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Is this correct, were vs was?  (Read 152 times)

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Is this correct, were vs was?
« on: August 24, 2019, 12:27:34 PM »
I read this on CNN a few minutes ago,

(CNN)As a young Texas couple were leaving the courthouse for their wedding ceremony, their car collided with a pickup truck, killing both of them, according to CNN affiliate KFDM.

A young couple is singular, their wedding, and their car refers to both of them.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 12:34:53 PM by Capler »

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Is this correct, were vs was?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 02:36:21 PM »
Cap^^^the word “couple” is an example of what’s called a “collective” noun because it suggests/denotes more than one person, place or thing. It’s not actually a “singular” noun.

However, I think most grammarians would agree with you that the singular form of the verb should be used with the collective noun. So in your example^^^it is more appropriate/acceptable to state the couple “was” doing such and such.

But one of the many quirks of the English language - and what makes it such a difficult language for non speakers to learn - is that the usage changes over time. What is acceptable usage today may very well not be decades from now.  :shrug:

Curious to know what others think.  ;)

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 03:55:13 PM »
Thanks Strike. I was wondering if the writer had actually used it correctly. Like you said, these things change over time. If the majority uses it a certain way, over time it become standard.  'Literally' comes to mind as an another example.  Young people use the term all the time, and most are not using it correctly. We old heads use it correctly. No one uses the word gay to express happiness. As a matter of fact, the joy, happiness meaning will probably get dropped from the dictionary at some point in the future. Booty is another.

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 03:56:38 PM »
Agree with both of you... :nod:

Teeny and Little

Online klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 04:04:18 PM »
FYI -
"Collective Nouns - Are they singular or plural?" (Grammar Girl)
https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/collective-nouns
July 4, 1881 - A Great Day in History...

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.” - Neil Gaiman

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 06:17:59 PM »
FYI -
"Collective Nouns - Are they singular or plural?" (Grammar Girl)
https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/collective-nouns

Mass noun, never hear that before. After listening to this, I see how others find english to be complicated. Thanks k.

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 07:38:59 PM »
Agree with both of you... :nod:
:)......you’re being very modest, but was hoping that you’d chime in. Really wanted to read your prospective about this being the former journalist and all.

Appreciate you, GK.  :)

Offline cee dog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 01:12:57 AM »
Don't ask me. Shut I'm from Bankhead. I just learnt how to say Street instead of Skreet.  :thefan:
"Bulldog for Life"

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 11:13:10 AM »
Don't ask me. Shut I'm from Bankhead. I just learnt how to say Street instead of Skreet.  :thefan:

I'm familiar with Buckhead, what is Bankhead? I assume it's the opposite.

Online klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
July 4, 1881 - A Great Day in History...

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.” - Neil Gaiman

Offline cee dog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2019, 09:48:16 PM »
In Buckhead they have butlers. On Bankhead we have burglar bars.  :lmao:

"Bulldog for Life"

Online Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 09:51:54 PM »
In Buckhead they have butlers. On Bankhead we have burglar bars.  :lmao:

:lmao:
Never discuss cheese with a rat, bread with a bird or make moves with a snake.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News