News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Report: North Carolina A&T Could Be Considering Move To FBS  (Read 1611 times)

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Report: North Carolina A&T Could Be Considering Move To FBS
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2019, 09:07:02 PM »
me personally, i do not support such a move.  we simply do not have the resources to compete at that level.  at least at the fcs level, we have a "fighting chance" to make some noise at the highest levels.  but at the fbs level, we have virtually "zero chance" of making noise at the highest levels.

so why even waste time and money trying to do so?  money raised to advance to the fbs level can be better used to build a true powerhouse at the fcs level...
Yeah Tuskegee been having an exploratory committee for 9 years.  At some point you have to shelve it until a later date.

Offline Oldschool

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2019, 09:53:28 PM »
Long term strategic planning. Not gonna happen before year 2035....if approved.Folks gotta stop leaking info from wish lists and pushing it out as facts.

Personally I'd like to see us stay the course. Takes to much $$ to move up.By the time we're ready it would require a $35 million budget.
^^^^^^^^^
What he said !!!!

Someone heard our Chancellor "thinking out loud" and ran with it.We ain't goin nowhere "Bad Boys For Life" .

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2019, 09:54:38 AM »
me personally, i do not support such a move.  we simply do not have the resources to compete at that level.  at least at the fcs level, we have a "fighting chance" to make some noise at the highest levels.  but at the fbs level, we have virtually "zero chance" of making noise at the highest levels.

so why even waste time and money trying to do so?  money raised to advance to the fbs level can be better used to build a true powerhouse at the fcs level...

oleschoolaggie - right now you can't make that move with what you have. However, planning long tern for what is needed to do so is what we're talking about. A&T can look a lot different in 15 years. If you approach a diverse population of 20,000 students and maintain your success at your current level, it would be a natural move to move up. This would be similar to what App. State did when they moved up. Right now, schools on that level would destroy ya'll, but maybe not in 15 years with proper planning. It has to start somewhere if its ever going to happen.

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2019, 12:30:39 PM »
What would an NCAT move to the FBS mean for the school, HBCU athletics?
https://hbcugameday.com/2019/08/19/can-ncat-become-the-first-hbcu-to-successfully-move-to-the-fbs/
July 4, 1881 - A Great Day in History...

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.” - Neil Gaiman

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2019, 01:24:41 PM »
Aggies on another board basically said this is an exploratory discussion for a long range strategic plan by the school.

A&T athletics director Hilton calls discussion of FBS move 'a thought exercise'

https://www.greensboro.com/sports/college/ncat/a-t-athletics-director-hilton-calls-discussion-of-fbs-move/article_e2a97abe-e8ac-52d1-8b31-8065b30786cf.html

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2019, 02:41:20 PM »

oleschoolaggie - right now you can't make that move with what you have. However, planning long tern for what is needed to do so is what we're talking about. A&T can look a lot different in 15 years. If you approach a diverse population of 20,000 students and maintain your success at your current level, it would be a natural move to move up. This would be similar to what App. State did when they moved up. Right now, schools on that level would destroy ya'll, but maybe not in 15 years with proper planning. It has to start somewhere if its ever going to happen.

real simple, we can't even out spend pwc fcs schools and we certainly can't keep pace in terms of spending and resources with the top fcs schools like north dakota state.  so why would anybody believe that an hbcu can keep pace in terms of spending with fbs schools?  much less "bcs" schools.

i would also argue that there's a "glass ceiling" at the fbs level and that glass ceiling is called the "bcs".  the bcs schools are "way out of reach", impossible to outspend.  so why even bother?

now that more details have come out regarding dr. martin's statement, it is clear that a&t has no imminent plans of transitioning to the fbs level anytime soon.  so to me, this idea of moving to the fbs level is a "non-issue"...

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2019, 04:27:21 PM »

real simple, we can't even out spend pwc fcs schools and we certainly can't keep pace in terms of spending and resources with the top fcs schools like north dakota state.  so why would anybody believe that an hbcu can keep pace in terms of spending with fbs schools?  much less "bcs" schools.

i would also argue that there's a "glass ceiling" at the fbs level and that glass ceiling is called the "bcs".  the bcs schools are "way out of reach", impossible to outspend.  so why even bother?

now that more details have come out regarding dr. martin's statement, it is clear that a&t has no imminent plans of transitioning to the fbs level anytime soon.  so to me, this idea of moving to the fbs level is a "non-issue"...

All your points are valid, but it would be nice to have an HBCU on that level. You wouldn't have to be contenders... just competitive with the lower end schools. App State are not real contenders. They may get a vote or two in the polls, but that's it.

On another of your points, North Dakota State is not on its proper level.

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2019, 05:50:55 AM »
It's not going to happen.  They won't pay the coach enough.  How many HBCUs pay any coach more than the chancellor/president?
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2019, 08:25:52 AM »
It's not going to happen.  They won't pay the coach enough.  How many HBCUs pay any coach more than the chancellor/president?

All schools don't pay that way.

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2019, 08:56:18 AM »
Long term strategic planning. Not gonna happen before year 2035....if approved.Folks gotta stop leaking info from wish lists and pushing it out as facts.

Personally I'd like to see us stay the course. Takes to much $$ to move up.By the time we're ready it would require a $35 million budget.
^^^^^^^^^
What he said !!!!

Someone heard our Chancellor "thinking out loud" and ran with it.We ain't goin nowhere "Bad Boys For Life" .

Yeah, hundreds of faculty heard the chancellor "thinking aloud" about challenging to become an R1 designated research institution, FBS athletics and a driving economic force in East Greensboro. They definitely cheered aloud for all three.

But, it was just thinking aloud.  ::)

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2019, 10:54:34 AM »

^^^^^^^^^
What he said !!!!

Yeah, hundreds of faculty heard the chancellor "thinking aloud" about challenging to become an R1 designated research institution, FBS athletics and a driving economic force in East Greensboro. They definitely cheered aloud for all three.

Stop being afraid to be great. His thinking out loud is the start of being great.

Offline A&T AGGIE 96

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2019, 11:02:32 AM »

^^^^^^^^^
What he said !!!!

Stop being afraid to be great. His thinking out loud is the start of being great.

As AGGIES, we are not afraid of being great...that said, I don’t know a single AGGIE that heard the initial reports and said “Say what now”?

As alumni and supporters we know A&T has a lot of other fish to fry besides FBS football.

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2019, 12:12:10 PM »
ain't happening, folks!!  plain and simple.  time to move on...  :tiptoe:

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2019, 12:18:43 PM »

^^^^^^^^^
What he said !!!!

Where was this advice when WSSU tucked their their tail and ran away from the meac?   pot....kettle.... Lol...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 12:47:34 PM by bluedog »

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2019, 01:13:51 PM »

^^^^^^^^^
What he said !!!!

Where was this advice when WSSU tucked their their tail and ran away from the meac?   pot....kettle.... Lol...

We wasn't even close to being a true DIAA school in terms of anything. At the time our up side for being a DIAA is know where near where A&T's upside is now. There potential is greater than ours right now. We are barley a DII school. But don't get me wrong... I love my Rams. We were winning at our level, but at a cost we couldn't consistently sustain. A&T, with the proper time and growth can make this happen. They do need to approach a diverse 20,000 students to do so. I don't have a problem with one of our schools doing great things if they can.

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News