News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Cuccinelli rewrites Statute of Liberty Poem in support of new immigration policy  (Read 86 times)

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
The acting director of US Citizenship and Immigration Services in a new interview revised the iconic poem on the Statue of Liberty's pedestal to suggest that only immigrants who can "stand on their own two feet" are welcome in the United States.

Ken Cuccinelli tweaked the famous poem from Emma Lazarus -- whose words, "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free" are long associated with immigration to the US and the nation's history as a haven -- as part of a case for strict new measures pushed Monday by the Trump administration that could dramatically change the legal immigration system.

"Would you also agree that Emma Lazarus's words etched on the Statue of Liberty, 'Give me your tired, give me your poor,' are also a part of the American ethos?" NPR's Rachel Martin asked Cuccinelli on "Morning Edition" in an interview published Tuesday.

"They certainly are: 'Give me your tired and your poor who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge,'" he replied. "That plaque was put on the Statue of Liberty at almost the same time as the first public charge was passed -- very interesting timing."

Cuccinelli grew combative when CNN's Erin Burnett pressed him Tuesday night on his tweaks to the famous poem.

"I was answering a question. I wasn't writing poetry, Erin. Don't change the facts. You're twisting this like everybody else on the left has done all day today," Cuccinelli said on "Erin Burnett OutFront."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ken-cuccinelli-rewrites-statue-of-liberty-poem-to-make-case-for-limiting-immigration/ar-AAFKqte

Offline Sierra

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Folks this nation is heading for destruction, if the present admin. remains in office.  During the last election many sat alone the sidelines and refused to vote. So, we have had our warning.
Do all the right things for the all the right reasons.Damn the consequences.

Offline Olde Hornet

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Poison - it continues to spread!    :crazy:

My favorite quote from the article:

“Watched the clip again and would like to reiterate that Ken Cuccunnelli is a racist who doesn’t understand the first thing about America,” wrote Sen. Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii).

“Ken Cuccinelli just gave the game away,” said Rep. Don Beyer (D-Va.). “Racism is the point of their policy.”
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 11:41:56 AM by Olde Hornet »
Olde Bama State Spirit!
Alabama State University

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
Folks this nation is heading for destruction, ...

Missed my post about Babylon falling, huh?

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
Cuccinelli doubles down says Statute of Liberty Poem written about people about Europe

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News