News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Most Dominant Program in HBCU Sports  (Read 1519 times)

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Most Dominant Program in HBCU Sports
« on: July 17, 2019, 07:51:37 AM »
Just wanted to see what the thoughts were out there on these as well as any other programs that have quietly dominated their opponents of late.

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Most Dominant Program in HBCU Sports
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 08:50:13 AM »
Just wanted to see what the thoughts were out there on these as well as any other programs that have quietly dominated their opponents of late.
Can you be a little more precise?

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships
Bowl Appearances:16 record 13-3 Heritage Bowl 4 - 2

Offline Warpaint

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 09:23:24 AM »
Did you mean to have NCCU basketball twice?

Also, not sure of your criteria but I would think VUU's Women basketball needs to be on this list.  In just the last 4 seasons they are: 3x CIAA Champs; 2x NCAA Atlantic Region Champs; 2016-2017 National Runner Up; and have made the D2 national tournament the past 4 seasons.  Plus there record over the past 4 seasons is 112-14.

Also, you may think about adding Lincoln Mo's women track team.  In the past 5 seasons they have won the Nation Championship twice and were runners up once in outdoor track, and they won one indoor national championship during that time as well.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 09:29:35 AM by Warpaint »

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 09:35:40 AM »
Did you mean to have NCCU basketball twice?

Also, not sure of your criteria but I would think VUU's Women basketball needs to be on this list.  In just the last 4 seasons they are: 3x CIAA Champs; 2x NCAA Atlantic Region Champs; 2016-2017 National Runner Up; and have made the D2 national tournament the past 4 seasons.  Plus there record over the past 4 seasons is 112-14.

Also, you may think about adding Lincoln Mo's women track team.  In the past 5 seasons they have won the Nation Championship twice and were runners up once in outdoor track, and they won one indoor national championship during that time as well.

I’ve edited to reflect. This are very good additions. It seems that each of these programs are worth a look.

Online Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 09:41:56 AM »
Based on your poll are you seeking the most dominant programs in HBCU sports or just CIAA/MEAC sports???? :shrug:
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Online Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 10:06:44 AM »
Here's an example of what I'm talking about.  In a 5 year period Benedict College WBB won 81 % of their games while VUU won 76%.  However since VUU played in a championship game does that makes them more dominant in your eyes???? :shrug:
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline CLeB-28

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tsunaa.com
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 10:22:45 AM »
I would include Alabama State women's track & field program.  That's if you allow SWAC schools in this poll.
Sea Sick... Waterbound... Can‘t Swim... About to Drown... In the OCEAN!!!  What!!! What!!!

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 11:06:44 AM »
St Aug track has won national titles. That stands for something.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 11:34:13 AM »
St Aug track has won national titles. That stands for something.

I agree. They are by far the greatest HBCU sports program in the last five years and also of "all time". They eat National Championships like I eat popcorn. This poll has got to be for runners-up!  :shrug:

Offline Warpaint

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 11:36:17 AM »
Here's an example of what I'm talking about.  In a 5 year period Benedict College WBB won 81 % of their games while VUU won 76%.  However since VUU played in a championship game does that makes them more dominant in your eyes???? :shrug:

That's a fair enough question, but I would think National and Regional success would tip the scale in VUU's favor.  Also, the fact that VUU and Benedict played twice during that stretch and VUU won both meetings 97-52 and 81-50 shows that VUU was the more dominate between the two.

Online Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2019, 02:38:30 PM »

That's a fair enough question, but I would think National and Regional success would tip the scale in VUU's favor.  Also, the fact that VUU and Benedict played twice during that stretch and VUU won both meetings 97-52 and 81-50 shows that VUU was the more dominate between the two.
Then what you are looking for is agreement with your choices because your poll did not indicate what you are saying now.  :shrug:

Offline Warpaint

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2019, 04:46:01 PM »

Then what you are looking for is agreement with your choices because your poll did not indicate what you are saying now.  :shrug:

This isn't my poll.  I was just responding to why VUU would be considered more dominant then Benedict.

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2019, 07:00:06 PM »
Bowie's Women's Bowling. 
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Online Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2019, 08:28:33 PM »

This isn't my poll.  I was just responding to why VUU would be considered more dominant then Benedict.
Oh I didn't look to see who responded however  you have your opinion and I have mine.  shrug:

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2019, 08:59:47 PM »
I think this just goes to show that success is a bit different at every school, conference or division. I’m sure there are many other teams at Xavier, Langston, Bama State, etc that could make a claim but what is success to you?

Obviously, St Augs program has been amazing for such a long time and when Coach Williams is gone the athletic department may fizzle as well. As the head coach and athletic director he’s done an amazing job.

NCAT Football and HU Volleyball both have a stranglehold on the MEAC right now and I don’t see either changing anytime soon.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule