News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: A curious question for the people on board?  (Read 310 times)

Offline BrotherWiregrass

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
A curious question for the people on board?
« on: July 12, 2019, 09:20:59 PM »
Why do pastors hold so much power in the black community?

I would really like to know...

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: A curious question for the people on board?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 09:57:08 PM »

Blacks are gullible.  They don't question pastors.  They will persecute anyone that who does.  That mentality spills over into other areas. 

I know Blacks that can't even buy furniture or a vehicle without their pastor giving them the okay.  It makes no sense. 
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline TSU/BAMA

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 10:52:53 PM »

Blacks are gullible.  They don't question pastors.  They will persecute anyone that who does.  That mentality spills over into other areas. 

I know Blacks that can't even buy furniture or a vehicle without their pastor giving them the okay.  It makes no sense.

You know y04185, I am not debating you because debating you and oldsport is a total waste of time. But I will say this, you need to watch People Magazine Investigates: Cults. It is on IDTV. Its about the untold stories of religious cult leaders who use mind control, sex, and violence to manipulate and dominate their followers. 98% of these "prophets" are white. I know you probably never will watch that show, but you should. Maybe then, you would not make stupid statement like you just made. But then on the other hand, you probably still would make stupid statements.

Offline FunCkMaster

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 11:25:00 PM »

Must be a deep South thing, or a COGIC or Baptist or Holy Roller thing. :shrug:

Lemme tell you something. I am a grown arse man. The day a Pastor tells me what to do, what to buy what to wear...Sheeeeeeeeeeee... ::)...Naw bro. I don't know who YOU know. I am AME. Any pastor I may have had leads the flock, suggest how folk should live in a good wholesome way, provides counseling, etc. etc. But I think they pretty much know they ain't gonna be TELLIN' people what furniture to buy, what home to buy, car to buy etc. etc. To be honest that sounds crazy.

It all depends on what YOU as a member allow. I attend church to get spiritually refueled. I also play drums at a church. It isn't my home church, but I play there every Sunday because I enjoy playing drums, and I enjoy the brotherhood-sisterhood. Ain't no clergy telling people what to do like that. They lead spiritually.

I moved outta my mom and dads house at 23 years of age basically, and started callin' my shots the day I received my bachelors degree at 22... So I been pretty much independent for 29 years.I don't need nobody, including clergy, to TELL me what to do.

Lord help the people you know where you live TSU/BAMA.... :tiptoe: :tiptoe:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 11:30:01 PM by FunCkMaster »
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY
2017, 2013 & 2003 CIAA MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS
2019 and 2018 CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS
2019, 2018, 2016, 2015, 2009, 2002 CIAA North Division Football Champions

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 11:29:22 PM »

Just because you might know 2, 3  people that might be that insecure then conflating it to the general population of black people is ridiculous.

I know two black men who like to denigrate their own kind, but exhibit the same characteristics themselves.  For example posting talking points of right-wing extremists (handlers), will defend a white person over a black person (self hatred).  Love them some trump even after he has clearly shown himself to be threat to this country (traitors).

Offline FunCkMaster

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 11:31:33 PM »

Just because you might know 2, 3  people that might be that insecure then conflating it to the general population of black people is ridiculous.

I know two black men who like to denigrate their own kind, but exhibit the same characteristics themselves.  For example posting talking points of right-wing extremists (handlers), will defend a white person over a black person (self hatred).  Love them some trump even after he has clearly shown himself to be threat to this country (traitors).

Maaaaaaaaan look. The coonery with these two people is downright ASTOUNDING! :brickwall: :brickwall: It just never stops.
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY
2017, 2013 & 2003 CIAA MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS
2019 and 2018 CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS
2019, 2018, 2016, 2015, 2009, 2002 CIAA North Division Football Champions

Offline Onnidan Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Onnidan's HBCU Sports
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 11:37:11 PM »
Historically, the church has been a powerful institution in the Black community and the leader of the church has an implied connection to God.

Therefore pastors have an assumed authority and some folk will follow them anywhere. :shrug:
=OW=

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 12:02:48 AM »

You know y04185, I am not debating you because debating you and oldsport is a total waste of time. But I will say this, you need to watch People Magazine Investigates: Cults. It is on IDTV. Its about the untold stories of religious cult leaders who use mind control, sex, and violence to manipulate and dominate their followers. 98% of these "prophets" are white. I know you probably never will watch that show, but you should. Maybe then, you would not make stupid statement like you just made. But then on the other hand, you probably still would make stupid statements.

The one making a stupid comment is you.  This isn't about white people.  Your love for white people is disturbing. 

Too bad you couldn't keep it Black.  You've been trained well.  This is about Black pastors.  Maybe you can explain how I disrespected my pastor when I was asked what church I attended.  I only gave the name of the church.  I was told I disrespected my pastor by not mentioning his name. 

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 12:43:30 AM »
Historically, the church has been a powerful institution in the Black community and the leader of the church has an implied connection to God.

Therefore pastors have an assumed authority and some folk will follow them anywhere. :shrug:

Thank you OW, they are not going to argue with you. It is not only in the black community but this is the case with mankind in general. We seek a  power that is greater than us, something that we can submit to. Most rulers use this  to command a certain amount of control over people.

Despite what some said in the previous replies, if you follow  any type of organized religion, you are submitting to  it, and of course you are submitting to the people who are the purveyors of that doctrine.  I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, but we would be remiss to think that clergy has no influence over people.   

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 07:37:48 AM »

And, many so-called pastors abuse that perceived power manipulating the very people they're supposed to be leading.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2019, 10:40:33 AM »

The one making a stupid comment is you.  This isn't about white people.  Your love for white people is disturbing. 

Too bad you couldn't keep it Black.  You've been trained well.  This is about Black pastors.  Maybe you can explain how I disrespected my pastor when I was asked what church I attended.  I only gave the name of the church.  I was told I disrespected my pastor by not mentioning his name. 

You personally must draw the most extreme situations known to man.

Why someone would tell you you disrespected the pastor is beyond belief.  Not calling you a liar but unless I witnessed these situations I’m calling BS.

I see you and your alter ego are now posting in the same topics.  Is this what talking to yourself on the internet looks like?

Offline aggiejazz

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2019, 01:26:12 PM »
I am careful not to paint all black pastors and churches with the same brush.  Being a preacher or pastor was always a job/career that held status in the black community which in more cases than we like leads to blind allegiance by folks which leads to those folks being con out of their hard earnings.  But all folks regardless of their ethnic group spend money on spirituality "merchandise" of hope.

Pastors for the most part were/are the only black community leaders that whites recognized and will only communicate through them.  After every modern day riot/uprising, white municipal officials will round the preachers and put them on local TV to ask for calm and to pacify the agitated blacks.

I also see that a lot of our folks need the church because the church is family and sometimes the only family they have.   

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2019, 04:13:40 PM »

And, many so-called pastors abuse that perceived power manipulating the very people they're supposed to be leading.

I concur.

Offline CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2019, 07:53:56 PM »
I don’t think it’s a black thing but a religion thing and not just Christianity. That’s the reason Catholic Priests were allowed to do what they did.

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2019, 09:40:56 PM »
I don’t think it’s a black thing but a religion thing and not just Christianity. That’s the reason Catholic Priests were allowed to do what they did.

Are you saying catholics are not christians?

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News