Backwards Plaque Shuns the KKK
On Christmas Eve 1865, six Confederate veterans met in Pulaski and formed the Klu Klux Klan. In 1917 the spot was marked with a bronze plaque that read, "Ku Klux Klan organized in this, the law office of Judge Thomas M. Jones, December 24, 1865."
Marguerite recalled that Klan members would bow to the plaque, and even kiss it. Donald felt that the KKK's antics disgraced the town. So in August 1989 the Masseys unbolted the plaque, flipped it to face the wall, screwed the bolts back in, and then welded them in place. The words commemorating the Klan were hidden. All that could be seen was the plaque's blank back side