News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Rude welcome for Tigers in SIAC preseason poll  (Read 1518 times)

Offline MilesBear1

• Assistant GM
  • Mr. S.I.A.C./Mr. S.W.A.C.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MilesGoldenBears.com
Re: Rude welcome for Tigers in SIAC preseason poll
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2019, 11:49:31 AM »
Savannah State's move to the SIAC gets complicated
Published: July 17, 2019
By Eric N. Moore
Managing Editor

Savannah State University's (SSU) move to the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SIAC) has developed some complications.

The NCAA announced on June 20 that SSU has been placed on probation for failing to mmonitor the conduct and administration of its athletics program for the five year academic period 2013-14 to 2017-18. Specifically Savannah State did not monitor its certification process when it improperly certified 43 student-athletes in 10 sports, according to a Division I Committee on Infractions (COI) panel.

Despite the failure to monitor the certification process, the committee said most student-athletes were properly certified.savn tiger2012

“As a fundamental obligation of NCAA membership, schools must ensure that all student-athletes are properly certified, both prior to participation in college athletics and on a continuing basis throughout their enrollment,” the committee said in its decision.

The COI and the university agreed that persistent turnover caused several breakdowns, such as not following written policies, inadequate communication and insufficient rules education. In its decision, the committee noted "all of these weaknesses combined to create a lack of checks and balances needed to ensure academic certification was complete and accurate.”

The committee used the Division I membership-approved infractions penalty guidelines for a Level II-standard case to prescribe the following penalties, most of which were self-imposed by the university:

Two years of probation.
A vacation of records in which student-athletes competed while ineligible. The university must provide a written report containing the contests impacted to the NCAA media coordination and statistics staff within 45 days of the public decision release.
Each staff member responsible for certifying student-athletes must attend a Regional Rules Seminar once during the probation period.
A $5,000 fine (self-imposed by the university).
Being penalized for Division I infractions has impacted Savannah State's application for reclassification to Division II

In a July 12 press release, the NCAA announced that SSU's application was advanced to provisional year two of the two-year reclassification process from Division I.

The Division II membership committee did note significant concerns related to SSU's compliance program, "its recent major infractions case and probationary status in Division I, [brings into question] its overall readiness to be an active Division II member".

In advancing Savannah State, the committee agreed the school will be required to satisfy the standard requirements of provisional year two, which are more rigorous than those of year one. Further, the committee imposed additional requirements — such as increased rules education, presidential engagement and status updates to the committee throughout the year — and noted that the school may be required to repeat year two if progress is not made.

Much like the experience of the newest SIAC member Spring Hill College, Savannah State could have its reclassification application delayed, pushing their full membership in the SIAC back another year.
"The Bears Den" and "The ASU Hornets Hive", WSSU
"CME Bowl Champions for Life"
Steel City Classic Champions 01,02,03,05,06
2004 Alabama State University SWAC Champs
2007 Football Attendance Champs
2011,2013,2015 SIAC West Div. Football Champions
2011,2015 SIAC Football Champs
2011 Pioneer Bow

Offline MilesBear1

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2019, 11:50:30 AM »
Oh well SSU.
2011 Pioneer Bow

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2019, 12:27:39 PM »
What y’all  smoking????? So because they were in the MEAC they gonna run through the SIAC  :lmao: They might and I stress might be competitive but I doubt if they win. Some of y’all may remember a better MEAC team had their hands full with Skegee and FVSU. Then you have ASU,  the MCs and BC which is on the come up.  If they were as well coached as y’all say they would have won at least 4 games in a season. :shrug:  :tiptoe:

Do you actually think SSU is gonna come in 6th place in the East?  :snicker
No I don't but as it was explained they have no SIAC stats to use in a prediction and their MEAC record does not warrant a high preseason rating. But a preseason rating ain't worth the paper its written on.  It amuses me that MEAC folks think that just because they were in the MEAC they will run through the SIAC.  I could understand if this was A&T or a few others but SSU. :nono2:

I didn't see 1 MEAC poster on here state that they think SSU will run thru the SIAC just because they were in the MEAC. I need some of what YOU are smoking! (nevermind; it might interfere with my cigar vibe!)  :lmao:
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2019, 02:47:06 PM »
What y’all  smoking????? So because they were in the MEAC they gonna run through the SIAC  :lmao: They might and I stress might be competitive but I doubt if they win. Some of y’all may remember a better MEAC team had their hands full with Skegee and FVSU. Then you have ASU,  the MCs and BC which is on the come up.  If they were as well coached as y’all say they would have won at least 4 games in a season. :shrug:  :tiptoe:

No I don't but as it was explained they have no SIAC stats to use in a prediction and their MEAC record does not warrant a high preseason rating. But a preseason rating ain't worth the paper its written on.  It amuses me that MEAC folks think that just because they were in the MEAC they will run through the SIAC.  I could understand if this was A&T or a few others but SSU. :nono2:

I didn't see 1 MEAC poster on here state that they think SSU will run thru the SIAC just because they were in the MEAC. I need some of what YOU are smoking! (nevermind; it might interfere with my cigar vibe!)  :lmao:
Well if you ain't smokin you must have gotten a contact high.  Because the two A&T posters indicated and you agreed that folks were in for a rude awakening which I interpreted as they are gonna beat a lot of SIAC teams, thus my run though comment. (That cigar you smokin must be a blunt.
Never discuss cheese with a rat, bread with a bird or make moves with a snake.

Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2019, 02:54:37 PM »
SSU will win conference title for 2019 season.  I called it!

i would agree if ssu had kept the coach they just fired!!  :brickwall:

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2019, 02:57:49 PM »
not having Raeburn may change things but if he was there you pick them higher.

exactly!!

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2019, 12:02:10 AM »

Well if you ain't smokin you must have gotten a contact high.  Because the two A&T posters indicated and you agreed that folks were in for a rude awakening which I interpreted as they are gonna beat a lot of SIAC teams, thus my run though comment. (That cigar you smokin must be a blunt.

Well,,,,,,,I interpreted those comments made by the Aggies to mean that SSU will not be coming in last place, period. I doubt very seriously we'd put SSU ahead of Tuskegee, Albany St. and Morehouse. (And I'd never ruin a good cigar to get blunted.)

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2019, 10:22:28 AM »
Don't ignore Savannah and play them cheap.  They will give you a good game and they are well coached.  6TH!!!!!   Hellayno !   Thats just conference old-timers circling the wagons against a team they haven't played much.  6TH in the SIAC( a good conference.) but that is disrespect to the highest.      :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :nono2: :nono2: :nono2:  Go Marshcats!

Offline MilesBear1

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2019, 12:12:12 PM »
Central State was placed last in the Pre-season Division picks their first year in the SIAC a few years ago and here we are in 2019 and they have moved from last to third place in the Pre-Season Predicted Order of Finished. They didn't grumble about their first year standing picks and according to my article above the NCAA has delayed SSU as of becoming a D2 school and member of the SIAC for one year. So technically they are not eligible for Conference Championships until their NCAA Probation is lifted. So really they are just a playing in the wind team for now. :nod:
2011 Pioneer Bow

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2019, 12:20:26 PM »
if ssu still had raeburn as their head coach (who they surprisingly fired last year), i could see ssu finishing top 2 or 3 in their siac division, certainly not last.  disregarding their fbs/bcs money games, otherwise ssu was "very competitive" in the meac last year.  they did not have any "lopsided" losses in the meac last year.

their worst meac defeats last year were to famu by a score of 31-13 and to dsu by a score of 25-6.  but those were their "worst" meac defeats last year.  but they loss to bcu by 15, morgan state by 7, a&t by 16, and scsu by 4 points.  they beat norfolk 32-3 and they beat fcs charleston southern of the big south conference 23-3.

so ssu wasn't necessarily a "slouch" in the meac, though they loss more games than they won.  but they were "well coached" given their talent level and they should've never fired raeburn...

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2019, 01:45:43 PM »

Well,,,,,,,I interpreted those comments made by the Aggies to mean that SSU will not be coming in last place, period. I doubt very seriously we'd put SSU ahead of Tuskegee, Albany St. and Morehouse. (And I'd never ruin a good cigar to get blunted.)
Okay I'll type slower so you MEAC folks can get it,  they can't really place a team (in a preseason poll) who has no SIAC stats to determine how well they will do, so they just placed them in last place.
Never discuss cheese with a rat, bread with a bird or make moves with a snake.

Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2019, 11:33:03 PM »

Okay I'll type slower so you MEAC folks can get it,  they can't really place a team (in a preseason poll) who has no SIAC stats to determine how well they will do, so they just placed them in last place.

::) Are you serious?!?!? We knew and understood that from the jump. Why do you have to be extra?  ::) You act as if as though you're the only one in here with common sense!!!!!

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2019, 04:10:14 AM »
A couple of SSU players remained in the MEAC through transfers and are immediately eligible. NCCU has one and A&T the other.  The  NCAA problem may have been the reason for the low expectations, BUT you still have to play the game...The NCAA is quick in conclusions on small HBCU; but will take a month of Sundays to configure what happen at UNC, NCSU or any FBS school giving kids 50K and up then worry for years, "what are we going to do?"/'then backslap small HBCUs for a kid accepting a moon pie and Pepsi Cola. faster than a heartbeat!!!     :tiptoe: :tiptoe: :tiptoe: :tiptoe: :tiptoe: It's good ink and sound bites media wise proving to the fans the integrity of the NCAA as they look away from the obvious violators (FBS) because of the contractual media agreements with huge payouts affecting salaries and fundings for personel / conferences involved.  Proves how close they are watching YOU!   INTEGRITY?? :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 04:32:54 AM by Thinkingaboutit »

Offline DAW912

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2019, 08:39:36 PM »
if ssu still had raeburn as their head coach (who they surprisingly fired last year), i could see ssu finishing top 2 or 3 in their siac division, certainly not last.  disregarding their fbs/bcs money games, otherwise ssu was "very competitive" in the meac last year.  they did not have any "lopsided" losses in the meac last year.

their worst meac defeats last year were to famu by a score of 31-13 and to dsu by a score of 25-6.  but those were their "worst" meac defeats last year.  but they loss to bcu by 15, morgan state by 7, a&t by 16, and scsu by 4 points.  they beat norfolk 32-3 and they beat fcs charleston southern of the big south conference 23-3.

so ssu wasn't necessarily a "slouch" in the meac, though they loss more games than they won.  but they were "well coached" given their talent level and they should've never fired raeburn...
Raeburn didn’t give SSU much choice.  It’s my understanding he refused to take a decrease in pay once the move down to D2 was official(I don’t blame him).  Perhaps an arguement can be made that SSU should have left his pay alone, even in the midst of major budget cuts in athletics, which I thought was the way to go. Coach Quinn was on his staff as DC.  He will do and is doing a good job for SSU, OSA. I like the Triple Option offense better than the Jet Sweep Offense of Raeburn’s. If SSU falls flat, it won’t be because of coaching. It’ll be for the same reasons SSU failed in its attempt at D1.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 08:50:00 PM by DAW912 »
We Live In An Era Of Smart Phones And Stupid People.

Offline DAW912

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2019, 08:58:26 PM »
I don’t see how SSU not being in the SIAC last year affected how coaches predicted SSU to finish last in the SIAC East.  I can see it affecting SSU not having players on the preseason all-conference teams. At the end of the day, it’s up to SSU to prove those coaches wrong, which they will.  I doubt SSU finishes 6th in the SIAC East.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 09:04:51 PM by DAW912 »
We Live In An Era Of Smart Phones And Stupid People.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News