News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: WSSU, N.C. Central will play football again in 2020....  (Read 4658 times)

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
Re: WSSU, N.C. Central will play football again in 2020....
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2019, 01:54:52 PM »
Wondering if WSSU will ever play N.C. A&T again in football?

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/college/wssu/wssu-n-c-central-set-to-renew-football-rivalry-in/article_f85d9743-b3dc-59ba-b454-83860be8a51e.html

Yeah, if they get the chicken out of the administration.

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/college/wssu/wssu-n-c-central-set-to-renew-football-rivalry-in/article_f85d9743-b3dc-59ba-b454-83860be8a51e.html

I doubt it. WSSU wants a home and home. And until that changes , we won't play. Honestly don't think A&T will be playing any D2 schools for awhile as those wins don't help with FCS at large bids

A.  It should be home and home

B.  Win your conference and it won't matter.

If it should be a home and home , then why aren't you playing NCCU at home in 2021? This is a one game deal. Seem hypocritical to me

It's not hypocritical.  The game at Winston doesn't normally draw nearly as well as in Durham.  When we play y'all it's a packed house no matter the venue.

So that's A&T fault too huh ? My point is that you accept less money and terms from NCCU but demand different from the Aggies. That's the hypocritical part
Its a bigger game between WSSU vs NCA&T (22,000 -28,000), than between WSSU vs NCCU (10,000). SO the payout should be larger.

What you should say , your fan base isn't interested in playing NCCU as they are in playing A&T. Regardless of stadium size, your brand is your brand. If your worth 50K in Greensboro, your worth 50k in Durham

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2019, 02:30:52 PM »

I doubt it. WSSU wants a home and home. And until that changes , we won't play. Honestly don't think A&T will be playing any D2 schools for awhile as those wins don't help with FCS at large bids

If it should be a home and home , then why aren't you playing NCCU at home in 2021? This is a one game deal. Seem hypocritical to me

It's not hypocritical.  The game at Winston doesn't normally draw nearly as well as in Durham.  When we play y'all it's a packed house no matter the venue.

So that's A&T fault too huh ? My point is that you accept less money and terms from NCCU but demand different from the Aggies. That's the hypocritical part

No it's not your fault. The difference is (again) the stadium size.  We can only fill so many seats at NCCU, but we can fill a lot more at BB&, therefore we get less from them than we ask from you.

When you beat schools like Charlotte, ECU, App St, etc......playing Winston just doesn't move the needle anymore :shrug:
It's 2019 - not 1999.  The home-and-home vs DII opposition doesn't jive anymore.

Like who?!!!!

:lmao:

Even if we acquiesce to this thought...……………. only your white/canary jerseys would make it a road game...………………..

There's one way in which a home-and-home can be facilitated......if y'all's asses fork up the money to get back into the MEAC.  Until then, focus on beating the Shaw's and Bowie State's of the world.  You ain't on our level anymore; you stunted your own athletic growth by dropping back down to the CIAA.....

No, that's not the only way. Could swear that y'all have played Shaw in recent years or am I tripping? The "stunted growth" comment is the only valid one here. When we were "on your level" you were still scared!

Again, it's 2019, not 1999 or 2009-10.

NO S?!!!!!

We are no longer equals....and you know it :no: :tiptoe:

You sound like a woman who just watched Oprah/Michelle telling them "how" to marry.

If we are no longer equals then y'all shouldn't be scared.  We aint!  You should relish the idea of putting  us in our place, and the nice revenue that would come with it.

How about this for a compromise: 4-year series, with 2 in Gboro, 1 in Winston-Salem and 1 at a neutral site?

An FCS is not gonna play a D2 in a home-home site series. It used to not be a problem back in the day, but that's not how it's done now. This game will never happen unless WSSU administrators wise up and toe the line!  :nod: :lol:

Again sir it has never been the norm for D1 to play at D2.  I won't name the exceptions to that.  I'm betting that had y'all not built Price, AND VSU had a bigger venue that would have stayed home & home. However all you have to do is look up the attendance at the last games we played and you just might note that our facility can hold the crowd. If it were TRULY a road game, then you and your Aggie brethren would have a good point.

Since you are only an Aggie fan, I will ask you to survey the folks that attended the women's game between us this year. This game is what brought me back to the debate.  You may note I didn't type one word about it last year.

We would have built Price eventually regardless because ODU would have eventually fielded a football team, so D2 VSU will always play FCS NSU @ NSU unless VSU moves up to D1-FCS football.
Yes, but the point is that you built it big, so you can host pretty much anyone you play outside a Power 5 school.  VSU vs NSU HAS to be played outside Petersburg.

We built Price Stadium big based off the football crowds NSU had at ODU's Forman Field, and the fact that I believe I future plans included moving up to D1 in all sports except football, and D1-AA or FCS for football.
  Yes. Therefore there is no reason for you to play in Petersburg.

:lmao:keeping it 100, i would not play A&T anytime soon. We got a hot coaching mess, a hot AD mess and possibly a hot chancellor mess (pure speculation on that last one). The point is we have to get our house in order before getting drug down the field! I personally could care less about playing A&T but we have some who just cant avoid wanting that game. Now is definately not the time unless you care nothing about winning the game. If you dont have a reasonable chance of winning no need to play. The pay day is not worth the reputational damage imho. :nono2:

When the series first stopped it was because WSSC had no chance to beat them.  When it resumed WSSU had "no chance to beat them," until we hammered them in G'boro no less.  When KB took over, we had "no chance" to beat them until the last two games before the second stoppage. When it resumed again, we "had no chance...…."

I know both schools got paid every time we played since the first resurrection of the game. Who knows; the "hot mess" might rally the troops. Our rep cannot be damaged by losing to them, just our pride. In their minds THEIRS can.  That's why they don't want to play us.  THE BS about the home field is just that. If we kicked their behinds every time they came to BG then they'd have something to fear.  In fact we lost to FOBBS in Winston. :o :o

So Aggies I offer this compromise since Winston is such a scary place: Four games, 2 in BB&T, 1 in BG, and 1 at a neutral site.  Or 3 at BB&T and 1 neutral....................

Your statements aren't true so let me correct. A&T stopped playing WSSU in 2000. The reason was because the MEAC passed a rule stating you can't play but 1 Division II school a year. At the time NCCU was Division II. Once NCCU moved up , that's why we resumed.

It's not that A&T is scared of Winston , we just have no benefit in going. It all benefits WSSU 

Offline Rams3

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2019, 12:04:36 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2019, 12:27:50 PM »

No it's not your fault. The difference is (again) the stadium size.  We can only fill so many seats at NCCU, but we can fill a lot more at BB&, therefore we get less from them than we ask from you.

When you beat schools like Charlotte, ECU, App St, etc......playing Winston just doesn't move the needle anymore :shrug:
It's 2019 - not 1999.  The home-and-home vs DII opposition doesn't jive anymore.

Like who?!!!!

Even if we acquiesce to this thought...……………. only your white/canary jerseys would make it a road game...………………..

There's one way in which a home-and-home can be facilitated......if y'all's asses fork up the money to get back into the MEAC.  Until then, focus on beating the Shaw's and Bowie State's of the world.  You ain't on our level anymore; you stunted your own athletic growth by dropping back down to the CIAA.....

No, that's not the only way. Could swear that y'all have played Shaw in recent years or am I tripping? The "stunted growth" comment is the only valid one here. When we were "on your level" you were still scared!

NO S?!!!!!

You sound like a woman who just watched Oprah/Michelle telling them "how" to marry.

If we are no longer equals then y'all shouldn't be scared.  We aint!  You should relish the idea of putting  us in our place, and the nice revenue that would come with it.

How about this for a compromise: 4-year series, with 2 in Gboro, 1 in Winston-Salem and 1 at a neutral site?

An FCS is not gonna play a D2 in a home-home site series. It used to not be a problem back in the day, but that's not how it's done now. This game will never happen unless WSSU administrators wise up and toe the line!  :nod: :lol:

Again sir it has never been the norm for D1 to play at D2.  I won't name the exceptions to that.  I'm betting that had y'all not built Price, AND VSU had a bigger venue that would have stayed home & home. However all you have to do is look up the attendance at the last games we played and you just might note that our facility can hold the crowd. If it were TRULY a road game, then you and your Aggie brethren would have a good point.

Since you are only an Aggie fan, I will ask you to survey the folks that attended the women's game between us this year. This game is what brought me back to the debate.  You may note I didn't type one word about it last year.

We would have built Price eventually regardless because ODU would have eventually fielded a football team, so D2 VSU will always play FCS NSU @ NSU unless VSU moves up to D1-FCS football.
Yes, but the point is that you built it big, so you can host pretty much anyone you play outside a Power 5 school.  VSU vs NSU HAS to be played outside Petersburg.

We built Price Stadium big based off the football crowds NSU had at ODU's Forman Field, and the fact that I believe I future plans included moving up to D1 in all sports except football, and D1-AA or FCS for football.

:lmao:keeping it 100, i would not play A&T anytime soon. We got a hot coaching mess, a hot AD mess and possibly a hot chancellor mess (pure speculation on that last one). The point is we have to get our house in order before getting drug down the field! I personally could care less about playing A&T but we have some who just cant avoid wanting that game. Now is definately not the time unless you care nothing about winning the game. If you dont have a reasonable chance of winning no need to play. The pay day is not worth the reputational damage imho. :nono2:

When the series first stopped it was because WSSC had no chance to beat them.  When it resumed WSSU had "no chance to beat them," until we hammered them in G'boro no less.  When KB took over, we had "no chance" to beat them until the last two games before the second stoppage. When it resumed again, we "had no chance...…."

I know both schools got paid every time we played since the first resurrection of the game. Who knows; the "hot mess" might rally the troops. Our rep cannot be damaged by losing to them, just our pride. In their minds THEIRS can.  That's why they don't want to play us.  THE BS about the home field is just that. If we kicked their behinds every time they came to BG then they'd have something to fear.  In fact we lost to FOBBS in Winston. :o :o

So Aggies I offer this compromise since Winston is such a scary place: Four games, 2 in BB&T, 1 in BG, and 1 at a neutral site.  Or 3 at BB&T and 1 neutral....................

Your statements aren't true so let me correct. A&T stopped playing WSSU in 2000. The reason was because the MEAC passed a rule stating you can't play but 1 Division II school a year. At the time NCCU was Division II. Once NCCU moved up , that's why we resumed.

It's not that A&T is scared of Winston , we just have no benefit in going. It all benefits WSSU

You are correct in all that you have said. WSSU does have more to gain by playing in Winston-Salem. However, both schools and community benefit from a games played at both schools. Each school sharing the benefits seems appropriate. The entertainment factor alone, makes this game a great idea. Its not everyday that two HBCUs can draw 22,000 plus fans regardless of the games location.

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2019, 12:42:37 PM »

Like who?!!!!

NO S?!!!!!

You are correct in all that you have said. WSSU does have more to gain by playing in Winston-Salem. However, both schools and community benefit from a games played at both schools. Each school sharing the benefits seems appropriate. The entertainment factor alone, makes this game a great idea. Its not everyday that two HBCUs can draw 22,000 plus fans regardless of the games location.

We will agree to disagree. Maybe after the NCCU game you will see the difference in programs now.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2019, 02:54:42 PM »

Like who?!!!!

NO S?!!!!!

We will agree to disagree. Maybe after the NCCU game you will see the difference in programs now.

Note sure what that statement meant, but I have always seen the difference in your DI Aggies and my Rams. Playing NCCU will not show me anything I haven't already seen by us playing ya'll. Every time we have beaten ya'll, you have been a division up. So either we were getting DI players or you are getting DII players.

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2019, 03:21:57 PM »

Like who?!!!!

NO S?!!!!!

Note sure what that statement meant, but I have always seen the difference in your DI Aggies and my Rams. Playing NCCU will not show me anything I haven't already seen by us playing ya'll. Every time we have beaten ya'll, you have been a division up. So either we were getting DI players or you are getting DII players.
Awwwww sukey sukey now....

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2019, 03:48:49 PM »

Like who?!!!!

NO S?!!!!!

You were getting D1 players who couldn't get off the bench or who couldn't qualify academically. DI and DII have a different qualification system. Trust me , NCCU gonna win by 30 plus. Make sure you get there early. Ya'll don't want to play us, after we go up 40 , ya'll gonna be ready to fight 

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2019, 07:23:50 PM »
Every time we have beaten ya'll, you have been a division up. So either we were getting DI players or you are getting DII players.

first of all, a&t owns the "all time" series record over wssu 37 wins to wssu's 12 wins.  secondly, the meac didn't officially become a d1 conference until 1979.  however, a&t maintained "d2 level scholarships" until coach broadway was hired in 2011 and we've never played wssu when we've had the fcs maximum of 54 scholarships because we stopped playing wssu in 2010.

so you can stop with the d1 players versus d2 players crap.  we've "NEVER" played against wssu with the fcs maximum of 54 scholarships.  when coach broadway was hired, we only had 26 scholarship players which is less than the d2 maximum...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 12:46:11 AM by oleschoolaggie »

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2019, 08:17:54 AM »
Every time we have beaten ya'll, you have been a division up. So either we were getting DI players or you are getting DII players.

first of all, a&t owns the "all time" series record over wssu 37 wins to wssu's 12 wins.  secondly, the meac didn't officially become a d1 conference until 1979.  however, a&t maintained "d2 level scholarships" until coach broadway was hired in 2011 and we've never played wssu when we've had the fcs maximum of 54 scholarships because we stopped playing wssu in 2010.

so you can stop with the d1 players versus d2 players crap.  we've "NEVER" played against wssu with the fcs maximum of 54 scholarships.  when coach broadway was hired, we only had 26 scholarship players which is less than the d2 maximum...

Like I said, ya'll were DI and we were DII when we beat you. Our 12 wins was during a more recent history. Regardless of how many scholarships you had the players should have been DI caliber. So if we beat you with DII players then you must have had DII players also. Besides, you have always had more scholarships than us and we still beat ya'll. Stop hiding behind NCCU to see what happens with our game with them. We will beat them and then call for your butts. Some of you fake HBCU DI schools are killing me.

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2019, 09:35:54 AM »

Like I said, ya'll were DI and we were DII when we beat you. Our 12 wins was during a more recent history. Regardless of how many scholarships you had the players should have been DI caliber. So if we beat you with DII players then you must have had DII players also. Besides, you have always had more scholarships than us and we still beat ya'll. Stop hiding behind NCCU to see what happens with our game with them. We will beat them and then call for your butts. Some of you fake HBCU DI schools are killing me.

Lol , let's cover some truth here.

You couldn't afford to be in the MEAC and you left. Hell you can't even afford to have a baseball team on the D2 level. WSSU is a shell of your glory days with Maynor. You won't even win the CIAA South this year , let alone the CIAA period. NCCU is going to win and it's not going to be close.

As far as A&T and WSSU, you walked away. Life is about choices. I doubt we play you in the near future because D2 wins don't help us with our FCS at large profile

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2019, 10:36:22 AM »
Super star, Super star, ease up>  I agree but the red blood flows when  WE ARE LEFT OUT syndrome flairs up every fall in WSSU. You mention the game to current  NCCU students and it means nothing.  NCCU will not go to Winston neither will T.  They really want to play y'all since its closer.  Give them a game, PLEASE, in Aggie stadium so they can stop begging, groveling  each fall  FOR A SHOT.  What do you gain by beating them? NOTHING,  Keep your prices for entrance the same since they will leave earlier for the tailgates.  The sad part is - you can be so far behind in a race you look around and think you are ahead.  Backing out of FCS in hindsight has  shown that was the correct move.  WSSU has been unable to maintain the minimum sport teams to fit as conference affiliate in the MEAC.  I hope its a good game with FCS referees calling the game.  I was told referees can throw a flag on about every play, and the CIAA referees take the joy out of watching play by holding true to that statement..

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2019, 12:22:34 PM »

dude, pub-leeeeze.  37 wins to 12 says it all!!  stop making "excuses"!!  that's exactly why we don't need to play ya'll.  when we beat ya'll, ya'll say we ought to beat ya'll.  so what's the used of playing ya'll then?  its a "no win" situation from our perspective.  so there's no reason to bother playing ya'll at all and we ain't.

besides, truth be told, the vast majority of our alums moved on a long time ago.  there is no "outcry" to put wssu back on our schedule.  we've beat ya'll "3 times" as many times as ya'll have beat us and i don't wanna hear that d1 vs. d2 bull because the vast majority of our wins came against ya'll when we both were d2.  not to mention, ya'll had far more "d1 transfers" than us because most of your transfers wouldn't even get pass our admissions office to play at a&t...

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2019, 01:46:21 PM »
Super star, Super star, ease up>  I agree but the red blood flows when  WE ARE LEFT OUT syndrome flairs up every fall in WSSU. You mention the game to current  NCCU students and it means nothing.  NCCU will not go to Winston neither will T.  They really want to play y'all since its closer.  Give them a game, PLEASE, in Aggie stadium so they can stop begging, groveling  each fall  FOR A SHOT.  What do you gain by beating them? NOTHING,  Keep your prices for entrance the same since they will leave earlier for the tailgates.  The sad part is - you can be so far behind in a race you look around and think you are ahead.  Backing out of FCS in hindsight has  shown that was the correct move.  WSSU has been unable to maintain the minimum sport teams to fit as conference affiliate in the MEAC.  I hope its a good game with FCS referees calling the game.  I was told referees can throw a flag on about every play, and the CIAA referees take the joy out of watching play by holding true to that statement..

Good to see that Wonna Be is back.  :lol: Get out of those Aggies butt.

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2019, 02:26:40 PM »

Good to see that Wonna Be is back.  :lol: Get out of those Aggies butt.

wonna be?  man, you must be on crack!!!   :crazy:

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News