News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: WSSU, N.C. Central will play football again in 2020....  (Read 4663 times)

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: WSSU, N.C. Central will play football again in 2020....
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2019, 01:58:35 AM »
By the third quarter it will be over.  Winston would rather play SCSU or Norfolk?  Get them to the table and  negotiate going there too.  On a given day anyone can be beaten-including all MEAC teams by WSSU. Purchase your tickets early ( to get over price shock) and good luck.  If WSSU wins it will be great for their  program and they will talk about it for the next 20 years.    ;D     However should they come out on the short end of the score all administrators and staff will be hung in effigy.          :lmao:        We will move on to the next game.  The truth of the matter is that these are two different programs.  Can they win this game?  Possibly, on any GIVEN day, sure.  Will they win?   :no: :no:.  At the end of the day let us hope both teams are healthy and have great seasons in respected conferences.  The MEAC schools have reloaded with great recruiting across the board.  WSSU got Graves and that RB that can play anywhere.   :nod:  NCCU has .......you'll see   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 02:14:06 AM by Thinkingaboutit »

Online ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2019, 12:36:34 PM »
How much are game day tickets?
Is the payout amount $50K for this game?
What about % split  of parking and/or concessions?

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2019, 10:27:31 PM »
How much are game day tickets?
Is the payout amount $50K for this game?
What about % split  of parking and/or concessions?

$25 will be the cheep seats. 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2019, 10:13:02 AM »
I think seating starts at $25 and up from there.  2000 general admissions tickets will pay for that visit. Why split anything else with them, if they want more switch us out with Lenoir Rhyne et al or maybe UNC Charlotte.  In the scheme of things a good payday and on a given day they could win.    :shrug:  Anyone can beat anyone if they prepare and Coach Massey will be ready.      :tiptoe:.   Coach Oliver has been to a lot of rodeos and put together a great staff to face all challenges.  I would love to see a good healthy ending game. 

Online ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2019, 10:24:22 AM »
What was WSSU’s avg home attendance the past few seasons?

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2019, 10:40:33 AM »
You just asked a most pertinent question.   :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2019, 10:54:49 AM »
What was WSSU’s avg home attendance the past few seasons?

2018 avg 4,880
2017 avg 5,648
2016 avg 5,301
2015 avg 6,068
2014 avg 7,522

All figures from the NCAA

http://www.ncaa.org/championships/statistics/ncaa-football-attendance

Online ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2019, 12:56:05 PM »
So roughly 5K....highly feasible they bring at least 2K to the game....plus parking and concessions for Central....any provisions for free tickets for their band? That erode a bit of ticket sales from the stands....

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2019, 03:48:01 PM »
The deal $50,000 with NCCU is fair for WSSU. We could bring anywhere from 2,000 - 4,000 fans to the game. So we would be getting a large portion of what we bring. Considering this is not a home and home, NCCU is giving up a large portion of their gate to make this a good offer for wssu. I have heard that we are also getting an allotment of tickets that we would keep the revenue from. Not sure why Central is doing this because the game will sell out in a hurry. They are showing a lot of class in testing the waters to see how this works out. At some point we all will be looking for the biggest games possible... regardless of where they are played. This game will be as big as, if not bigger than, their homecoming.  :clap:

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2019, 11:24:04 PM »
The deal $50,000 with NCCU is fair for WSSU. We could bring anywhere from 2,000 - 4,000 fans to the game. So we would be getting a large portion of what we bring. Considering this is not a home and home, NCCU is giving up a large portion of their gate to make this a good offer for wssu. I have heard that we are also getting an allotment of tickets that we would keep the revenue from. Not sure why Central is doing this because the game will sell out in a hurry. They are showing a lot of class in testing the waters to see how this works out. At some point we all will be looking for the biggest games possible... regardless of where they are played. This game will be as big as, if not bigger than, their homecoming.  :clap:

I hope the weather cooperates, too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline Oldschoolram

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2019, 11:45:04 PM »
Wondering if WSSU will ever play N.C. A&T again in football?

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/college/wssu/wssu-n-c-central-set-to-renew-football-rivalry-in/article_f85d9743-b3dc-59ba-b454-83860be8a51e.html

Yeah, if they get the chicken out of the administration.

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/college/wssu/wssu-n-c-central-set-to-renew-football-rivalry-in/article_f85d9743-b3dc-59ba-b454-83860be8a51e.html

I doubt it. WSSU wants a home and home. And until that changes , we won't play. Honestly don't think A&T will be playing any D2 schools for awhile as those wins don't help with FCS at large bids

A.  It should be home and home

B.  Win your conference and it won't matter.

If it should be a home and home , then why aren't you playing NCCU at home in 2021? This is a one game deal. Seem hypocritical to me

It's not hypocritical.  The game at Winston doesn't normally draw nearly as well as in Durham.  When we play y'all it's a packed house no matter the venue.

So that's A&T fault too huh ? My point is that you accept less money and terms from NCCU but demand different from the Aggies. That's the hypocritical part

No it's not your fault. The difference is (again) the stadium size.  We can only fill so many seats at NCCU, but we can fill a lot more at BB&, therefore we get less from them than we ask from you.

When you beat schools like Charlotte, ECU, App St, etc......playing Winston just doesn't move the needle anymore :shrug:
It's 2019 - not 1999.  The home-and-home vs DII opposition doesn't jive anymore.

Like who?!!!!

:lmao:

Even if we acquiesce to this thought...……………. only your white/canary jerseys would make it a road game...………………..

There's one way in which a home-and-home can be facilitated......if y'all's asses fork up the money to get back into the MEAC.  Until then, focus on beating the Shaw's and Bowie State's of the world.  You ain't on our level anymore; you stunted your own athletic growth by dropping back down to the CIAA.....

No, that's not the only way. Could swear that y'all have played Shaw in recent years or am I tripping? The "stunted growth" comment is the only valid one here. When we were "on your level" you were still scared!

Again, it's 2019, not 1999 or 2009-10.

NO S?!!!!!

We are no longer equals....and you know it :no: :tiptoe:

You sound like a woman who just watched Oprah/Michelle telling them "how" to marry.

If we are no longer equals then y'all shouldn't be scared.  We aint!  You should relish the idea of putting  us in our place, and the nice revenue that would come with it.

How about this for a compromise: 4-year series, with 2 in Gboro, 1 in Winston-Salem and 1 at a neutral site?

I doubt it. WSSU wants a home and home. And until that changes , we won't play. Honestly don't think A&T will be playing any D2 schools for awhile as those wins don't help with FCS at large bids

An FCS is not gonna play a D2 in a home-home site series. It used to not be a problem back in the day, but that's not how it's done now. This game will never happen unless WSSU administrators wise up and toe the line!  :nod: :lol:

Again sir it has never been the norm for D1 to play at D2.  I won't name the exceptions to that.  I'm betting that had y'all not built Price, AND VSU had a bigger venue that would have stayed home & home. However all you have to do is look up the attendance at the last games we played and you just might note that our facility can hold the crowd. If it were TRULY a road game, then you and your Aggie brethren would have a good point.

Since you are only an Aggie fan, I will ask you to survey the folks that attended the women's game between us this year. This game is what brought me back to the debate.  You may note I didn't type one word about it last year.

We would have built Price eventually regardless because ODU would have eventually fielded a football team, so D2 VSU will always play FCS NSU @ NSU unless VSU moves up to D1-FCS football.
Yes, but the point is that you built it big, so you can host pretty much anyone you play outside a Power 5 school.  VSU vs NSU HAS to be played outside Petersburg.

We built Price Stadium big based off the football crowds NSU had at ODU's Forman Field, and the fact that I believe I future plans included moving up to D1 in all sports except football, and D1-AA or FCS for football.
  Yes. Therefore there is no reason for you to play in Petersburg.

:lmao:keeping it 100, i would not play A&T anytime soon. We got a hot coaching mess, a hot AD mess and possibly a hot chancellor mess (pure speculation on that last one). The point is we have to get our house in order before getting drug down the field! I personally could care less about playing A&T but we have some who just cant avoid wanting that game. Now is definately not the time unless you care nothing about winning the game. If you dont have a reasonable chance of winning no need to play. The pay day is not worth the reputational damage imho. :nono2:

When the series first stopped it was because WSSC had no chance to beat them.  When it resumed WSSU had "no chance to beat them," until we hammered them in G'boro no less.  When KB took over, we had "no chance" to beat them until the last two games before the second stoppage. When it resumed again, we "had no chance...…."

I know both schools got paid every time we played since the first resurrection of the game. Who knows; the "hot mess" might rally the troops. Our rep cannot be damaged by losing to them, just our pride. In their minds THEIRS can.  That's why they don't want to play us.  THE BS about the home field is just that. If we kicked their behinds every time they came to BG then they'd have something to fear.  In fact we lost to FOBBS in Winston. :o :o

So Aggies I offer this compromise since Winston is such a scary place: Four games, 2 in BB&T, 1 in BG, and 1 at a neutral site.  Or 3 at BB&T and 1 neutral....................

Your statements aren't true so let me correct. A&T stopped playing WSSU in 2000. The reason was because the MEAC passed a rule stating you can't play but 1 Division II school a year. At the time NCCU was Division II. Once NCCU moved up , that's why we resumed.

It's not that A&T is scared of Winston , we just have no benefit in going. It all benefits WSSU

First of all I grew up a T fan. Please tell me what statement isn't true.  A&T stopped playing Winston-Salem in 1970 the first time. It was because even A&T's bad teams would kill them, and nobody went to the games. It was only a basketball rivalry then. Many of the 37 games oleschool mentions came during those days.

The series resumed in 77 and "everyone", especially Aggies thought we had no chance against y'all.  Even guys on OUR team didn't think we could beat y'all.  However that's why I took a lot of Aggie money that year, and I rarely bet.  BUT that "A"-arrogance had people giving me 3 TDs, and paying double if we should win. A football rivalry is born.

Except for the games at Groves stadium, name one that wasn't a packed house; and we came close to filling Groves during those years.

You are correct about the 2000 stoppage.  However my point was that except in 99, and 2000 Bill Hayes had dragged us badly the 6 previous games, because "we had no chance" to beat y'all. It made sense for y'all to choose to play NCCU vs us when that dummy created that rule.  Where is HE now?

To think I used to hold y'all up as an example when the other schools were scared to play us.

:no:  Aggie Pride Died! ;D

Offline Oldschoolram

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2019, 01:24:23 PM »
I must add this  anecdote.  Friday a week ago, a group of Aggie Upward Bound students were touring WSSU. When we had a chance to interact with them, even THEY knew that we are supposed to playing and THEY TALKED TRASH!  I love it!

Because they are children I refrained from connecting their shirts to the argument. 
They shirts are "appropriately" designed where "Aggies" is on their @$$es!   ;D

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2019, 10:08:45 AM »

If it should be a home and home , then why aren't you playing NCCU at home in 2021? This is a one game deal. Seem hypocritical to me

It's not hypocritical.  The game at Winston doesn't normally draw nearly as well as in Durham.  When we play y'all it's a packed house no matter the venue.

So that's A&T fault too huh ? My point is that you accept less money and terms from NCCU but demand different from the Aggies. That's the hypocritical part

No it's not your fault. The difference is (again) the stadium size.  We can only fill so many seats at NCCU, but we can fill a lot more at BB&, therefore we get less from them than we ask from you.

When you beat schools like Charlotte, ECU, App St, etc......playing Winston just doesn't move the needle anymore :shrug:
It's 2019 - not 1999.  The home-and-home vs DII opposition doesn't jive anymore.

Like who?!!!!

Even if we acquiesce to this thought...……………. only your white/canary jerseys would make it a road game...………………..

There's one way in which a home-and-home can be facilitated......if y'all's asses fork up the money to get back into the MEAC.  Until then, focus on beating the Shaw's and Bowie State's of the world.  You ain't on our level anymore; you stunted your own athletic growth by dropping back down to the CIAA.....

No, that's not the only way. Could swear that y'all have played Shaw in recent years or am I tripping? The "stunted growth" comment is the only valid one here. When we were "on your level" you were still scared!

NO S?!!!!!

You sound like a woman who just watched Oprah/Michelle telling them "how" to marry.

If we are no longer equals then y'all shouldn't be scared.  We aint!  You should relish the idea of putting  us in our place, and the nice revenue that would come with it.

How about this for a compromise: 4-year series, with 2 in Gboro, 1 in Winston-Salem and 1 at a neutral site?

An FCS is not gonna play a D2 in a home-home site series. It used to not be a problem back in the day, but that's not how it's done now. This game will never happen unless WSSU administrators wise up and toe the line!  :nod: :lol:

Again sir it has never been the norm for D1 to play at D2.  I won't name the exceptions to that.  I'm betting that had y'all not built Price, AND VSU had a bigger venue that would have stayed home & home. However all you have to do is look up the attendance at the last games we played and you just might note that our facility can hold the crowd. If it were TRULY a road game, then you and your Aggie brethren would have a good point.

Since you are only an Aggie fan, I will ask you to survey the folks that attended the women's game between us this year. This game is what brought me back to the debate.  You may note I didn't type one word about it last year.

We would have built Price eventually regardless because ODU would have eventually fielded a football team, so D2 VSU will always play FCS NSU @ NSU unless VSU moves up to D1-FCS football.
Yes, but the point is that you built it big, so you can host pretty much anyone you play outside a Power 5 school.  VSU vs NSU HAS to be played outside Petersburg.

We built Price Stadium big based off the football crowds NSU had at ODU's Forman Field, and the fact that I believe I future plans included moving up to D1 in all sports except football, and D1-AA or FCS for football.

:lmao:keeping it 100, i would not play A&T anytime soon. We got a hot coaching mess, a hot AD mess and possibly a hot chancellor mess (pure speculation on that last one). The point is we have to get our house in order before getting drug down the field! I personally could care less about playing A&T but we have some who just cant avoid wanting that game. Now is definately not the time unless you care nothing about winning the game. If you dont have a reasonable chance of winning no need to play. The pay day is not worth the reputational damage imho. :nono2:

When the series first stopped it was because WSSC had no chance to beat them.  When it resumed WSSU had "no chance to beat them," until we hammered them in G'boro no less.  When KB took over, we had "no chance" to beat them until the last two games before the second stoppage. When it resumed again, we "had no chance...…."

I know both schools got paid every time we played since the first resurrection of the game. Who knows; the "hot mess" might rally the troops. Our rep cannot be damaged by losing to them, just our pride. In their minds THEIRS can.  That's why they don't want to play us.  THE BS about the home field is just that. If we kicked their behinds every time they came to BG then they'd have something to fear.  In fact we lost to FOBBS in Winston. :o :o

So Aggies I offer this compromise since Winston is such a scary place: Four games, 2 in BB&T, 1 in BG, and 1 at a neutral site.  Or 3 at BB&T and 1 neutral....................

Your statements aren't true so let me correct. A&T stopped playing WSSU in 2000. The reason was because the MEAC passed a rule stating you can't play but 1 Division II school a year. At the time NCCU was Division II. Once NCCU moved up , that's why we resumed.

It's not that A&T is scared of Winston , we just have no benefit in going. It all benefits WSSU

First of all I grew up a T fan. Please tell me what statement isn't true.  A&T stopped playing Winston-Salem in 1970 the first time. It was because even A&T's bad teams would kill them, and nobody went to the games. It was only a basketball rivalry then. Many of the 37 games oleschool mentions came during those days.

The series resumed in 77 and "everyone", especially Aggies thought we had no chance against y'all.  Even guys on OUR team didn't think we could beat y'all.  However that's why I took a lot of Aggie money that year, and I rarely bet.  BUT that "A"-arrogance had people giving me 3 TDs, and paying double if we should win. A football rivalry is born.

Except for the games at Groves stadium, name one that wasn't a packed house; and we came close to filling Groves during those years.

You are correct about the 2000 stoppage.  However my point was that except in 99, and 2000 Bill Hayes had dragged us badly the 6 previous games, because "we had no chance" to beat y'all. It made sense for y'all to choose to play NCCU vs us when that dummy created that rule.  Where is HE now?

To think I used to hold y'all up as an example when the other schools were scared to play us.

We stop because the mandate from the conference. NCCU is our rival. Hence why we kept them. No one is thinking about NCCU in Greensboro. I know it angers you but it's life. We have moved on. If WSSU comes back to the MEAC or any FCS conference , love to play you. But for our direction we are working towards , Playing WSSU doesn't help

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2019, 12:26:30 PM »

Like who?!!!!

NO S?!!!!!

We stop because the mandate from the conference. NCCU is our rival. Hence why we kept them. No one is thinking about NCCU in Greensboro. I know it angers you but it's life. We have moved on. If WSSU comes back to the MEAC or any FCS conference , love to play you. But for our direction we are working towards , Playing WSSU doesn't help

Did you mean NCCU or WSSU in this statement?
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2019, 02:31:49 PM »

Like who?!!!!

NO S?!!!!!

Did you mean NCCU or WSSU in this statement?

I'm talking about WSSU. His argument was why A&T kept NCCU over WSSU.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News