News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: What kind of threads are being penalized?  (Read 1337 times)

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of threads are being penalized?
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2019, 03:17:14 PM »
I don't feel the site is in a position to narrow the scope of the discussion. Like most discussion boards, it is past it's prime as younger people seek other types of social media.

With that said, what is wrong with us being a little bit more civil and thoughtful in our discussions? There are only a few, who engage in name calling, and announce how much they hate white people. The days of saying what you want in social media are over, and it's time some of us realize this. I visit other boards and none of them allow this. So I can undersand if Onidan is being penalized for allowing it. If you don't believe what I'm saying look no further than Facebook, the bastion of free speech.

How many of us would support a site that allows its members to say negative things about black people? This is the main reason I stopped visiting the D2 football site years ago. Too many of their posters were making derogotory statement about HBCUs. And the things they were saying were mild compared to what read read on Onnidan. 

Why do some black people feel they have a special right to trash other groups, but when they do it to us, we are up in arms.  It's a new day, and we are being held accountable for our racism.  As a famous Kitty once said, 'What's good for the Cat,...." ( ::) I can't remember how GK ended that).  :shrug:

With the exception of maybe two posters, most negative commentary about white people is in reaction to something that a white person has said or done.  The comments provide a look into our hidden biases and in sympathetic terms, our pain.  Black people ought to have spaces to vent their frustrations with "life in Black America" and this is one of the few places I've found on the web that provides that space with civility, maturity, and the seriousness needed to have those types of discussions.  Many other places are just millenials mouthing off.  I appreciate the perspectives presented here.

That being said, there is only one poster who regularly uses a racial slur in conversation.   :crazy:

As a black person, I understnad that. Honesty, I don't think I ever met a racist black person. Almost all of our negative words towards white folk arise from frustration.  But at the same time, many of them don't understand our behavior. They look at us and believe  our words derive from the same place as theirs.

Until we can support the site ourselves, what they believe matters in terms of white ad dollars.

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2019, 05:16:48 PM »
Any person who can claim to have never met a racist black person, yet post on this forum for decades, is either delusional, clueless, or a liar.

Almost as bad as Trump saying he didnt know what the Klan was.

Lets be real. There are many people on here who have a clear issue with whites, Homosexuals, Asians, Africans and many other groups.

I can name names with receipts if you want to play that game.

Now I can understand since most on here are old, and old people are bigoted by nature, but to claim you dont notice it is disingenuous to say the least. If I am running an ad company and I see my product next to some geriatric negro waxing lyrical about how my people are dogs, then you better believe I am taking money out of OWS pocket. Its human nature. Also the ads are important because this site isnt making OWS any money after adpocalpyse last year.

https://www.godaddy.com/domain-value-appraisal/appraisal/?checkAvail=1&tmskey=&domainToCheck=onnidan1.com

Its appraisal is a quarter of a grand. Given that this takes into account adsense revnue trackers I'd be shocked if he was making more than 15-20$ a month on the site proper on the high end.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2019, 06:50:13 PM »
Neymar, apparently you don't have a clue about African Americans either.

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2019, 06:53:00 PM »
Any person who can claim to have never met a racist black person, yet post on this forum for decades, is either delusional, clueless, or a liar.

Almost as bad as Trump saying he didnt know what the Klan was.

Lets be real. There are many people on here who have a clear issue with whites, Homosexuals, Asians, Africans and many other groups.

I can name names with receipts if you want to play that game.

Now I can understand since most on here are old, and old people are bigoted by nature, but to claim you dont notice it is disingenuous to say the least. If I am running an ad company and I see my product next to some geriatric negro waxing lyrical about how my people are dogs, then you better believe I am taking money out of OWS pocket. Its human nature. Also the ads are important because this site isnt making OWS any money after adpocalpyse last year.

https://www.godaddy.com/domain-value-appraisal/appraisal/?checkAvail=1&tmskey=&domainToCheck=onnidan1.com

Its appraisal is a quarter of a grand. Given that this takes into account adsense revnue trackers I'd be shocked if he was making more than 15-20$ a month on the site proper on the high end.
Having an issue with someone does not make one racist.  I have an issue with you and the garbage you post but that doesn't make me racist, it just means I can't stand you and your BS. ::)  Now

Were you able to vote in any????  Has your student visa expired yet????  Have you applied for citizenship so you can be more than a russian bot????
Never discuss cheese with a rat, bread with a bird or make moves with a snake.

Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Offline FunCkMaster

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2019, 07:41:03 PM »

If this isn't the prime example of "Mr. Pot, I believe Ms. Kettle is calling you!!" I don't know what is...It's like this dude clearly has no memory of what he types.

YOU badmouth sub-Saharan Africans at every turn with your lil' slick talk.

YOU downgrade African-American women and sub-Saharan women compared to non-African and non-Sub Saharan Africans. Hate on accomplished African Americans (for some reason ESPECIALLY black female tennis players from America).

Just TODAY you made a corny-arse joke that made no sense about me "coming out" because I referenced my wife.

You can't be serious can you? Or did you fall on your head at work earlier this afternoon? You are a funny cat.

However, I will say, I low-key was rooting for Mexico last night, seeing how the refugees have been treated at the border and also enjoying how the former Mexican president told Pol-Pot 45 to kick rocks and stick that Wall where the sun don't shine.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 12:22:17 AM by FunCkMaster »
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY
2018 CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPS
2017,2013 & 2003 CIAA MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS
2018,2016, 2015,2009,2002 CIAA Northern Football Champions

Offline cee dog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2019, 10:24:12 PM »
Aye Neymar don't worry I don't discriminate. I also hate musty foreigners...... :thefan:
"Bulldog for Life"

Offline Onnidan Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Onnidan's HBCU Sports
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2019, 01:40:37 AM »
One of our primary ad networks is Google Adsense and this is the policy violation notification that we received on July 6, 2019.

In the last 24 hours:

New violations were detected. As a result, ad serving has been restricted or disabled on pages where these violations of the AdSense Program Policies were found. To resolve the issues, you can either remove the violating content and request a review, or remove the ad code from the violating pages.

When I checked the link to the offending page, I got a message that "No violations were found".

Once we were warned about "sexual content"  on a page that had a photo of Serena Williams in her cat suit.

Thus our reference to "cultural conflict".

It has been suggested that the algorithms of the AI bots are biased, resulting in an inconsistency in interpretation.

We need to develop an alternative source of revenue.

The conflict between warnings and notifications that "no violations were found" can be very frustrating. :shrug:
=OW=

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2019, 08:21:11 AM »
One of our primary ad networks is Google Adsense and this is the policy violation notification that we received on July 6, 2019.

In the last 24 hours:

New violations were detected. As a result, ad serving has been restricted or disabled on pages where these violations of the AdSense Program Policies were found. To resolve the issues, you can either remove the violating content and request a review, or remove the ad code from the violating pages.

When I checked the link to the offending page, I got a message that "No violations were found".

Once we were warned about "sexual content"  on a page that had a photo of Serena Williams in her cat suit.

It has been suggested that the algorithms of the AI bots are biased, resulting in an inconsistency in interpretation.

The conflict between warnings and notifications that "no violations were found" can be very frustrating. :shrug:

Figured it was adsense because they have had a lot more pressure on them to be more family friendly.

What do you have in mind for different revenue streams boss?

If I might interject I notice you have 4 ads in constant rotation. I suggest you double that by adding in video hosting which we could also put ads on. This allows for diversification of ad and potential ad revenue.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • TigerPride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2019, 08:52:29 AM »
In the words of our very own Golden Kitten...

*WHEW*   :blush:

• Administrator
  • Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Onnidan's HBCU Sports
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2019, 12:33:06 PM »

In the last 24 hours:

Figured it was adsense because they have had a lot more pressure on them to be more family friendly.

If I might interject I notice you have 4 ads in constant rotation. I suggest you double that by adding in video hosting which we could also put ads on. This allows for diversification of ad and potential ad revenue.

Thanks for your suggestion.  We already have the capability of running video on this site.  Just past in the URL and the video should appear.

We've learned that more ads does not equate to more revenue and we try to limit the number of ads so as not to overwhelm our visitors.

We've been hosting this forum since the late 1980s and we'll keep trying to serve as best we can under the circumstances and would rather solidify what we have (despite the lack of donations) as opposed to striking out on another venture.

I guess we are stuck in our ways. :shrug:

=OW=

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2019, 01:07:36 PM »

In the last 24 hours:

Thanks for your suggestion.  We already have the capability of running video on this site.  Just past in the URL and the video should appear.

We've learned that more ads does not equate to more revenue and we try to limit the number of ads so as not to overwhelm our visitors.

We've been hosting this forum since the late 1980s and we'll keep trying to serve as best we can under the circumstances and would rather solidify what we have (despite the lack of donations) as opposed to striking out on another venture.

I guess we are stuck in our ways. :shrug:

The problem with the hosting from other sources is that any ad posted on that video goes to that site's videos instead of yours. If you control the hosting then any ad placement goes into your pocket.

The embedding wors really. Videos are top notch, and the instagram works even better. Is there a way to embded tweets?

Vimeo in particular works well:

It comes up clearer on here than it does in the actual site.

You do good work on here. I never have to worry about the ads you show giving me malware like other sites. What browser do you use when you browse here?

• Administrator
  • Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Onnidan's HBCU Sports
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2019, 10:38:46 PM »
We are familiar with Vimeo  but don't have a problem directing visitors to HBCU sports/culture related content even if it isn't hosted on our site.  Hopefully it puts money in a colleague's pocket.

Glad you appreciate the lack of malware in our ads.  We are very picky about what ad networks we use and are quick to drop  those that spread viruses.

=OW=

=OW=

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2019, 08:14:50 PM »

This comment brought this book to mind...
https://www.amazon.com/Algorithms-Oppression-Search-Engines-Reinforce/dp/1479837245
July 4, 1881 - A Great Day in History...

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.” - Neil Gaiman

Offline Sierra

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2019, 10:37:46 AM »
We all have opinions about ways to enhance the site, but now , if you can, make a one time donation or monthly.
Do all the right things for the all the right reasons.Damn the consequences.

• Administrator
  • Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Onnidan's HBCU Sports
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2019, 08:24:33 AM »
UPDATE: We just got two "policy violation" notifications. one for a post dated TWO YEARS AGO and ironically for this post (pointing out the policy violations notification we were facing)

This post was tagged as having "Dangerous or derogatory content"  and subject to Restricted ad serving :shrug:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 08:33:34 AM by Onnidan Webmaster »
=OW=

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News