News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Counterfeit Alcohol Possibly Behind String of Deaths in DR  (Read 87 times)

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Counterfeit Alcohol Possibly Behind String of Deaths in DR
« on: June 18, 2019, 10:05:31 AM »
Investigators are looking into counterfeit alcohol as the reason behind a string of mysterious deaths in the Dominican Republic. Counterfeit alcohol has caused deaths in India, Iran, Indonesia, and several other countries in recent years, leading investigators to look further into it as the culprit.

Counterfeit alcohol is made in a hurry to make easy money, and it is often toxic or deadly. At least seven people have recently died in the Dominican Republic and the FBI is working to test blood samples of the victims to see if they can link it to counterfeit alcohol they may have consumed prior to their deaths.

Most of the deaths have similarities, including normally healthy adults becoming gravely sick after drinking from the hotel minibar. Lawrence Kobilinsky, a forensic science professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in Manhattan commented on the situation, telling the New  York Post, "Adulterated alcohol is usually methanol added to alcohol or just plain methanol, which is very, very toxic. It looks to me, from what I’ve heard and read, is that something was added to the drinks or bottles in those little refrigerators."

https://www.vladtv.com/article/255702/counterfeit-alcohol-possibly-behind-string-of-deaths-in-dominican-republic?fbclid=IwAR2G7bA0F3Uhp2lTN2YA3VwkMQ5_SrOh2QeiqUv9PDTD_rVJeiRgCtYgUSA

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Counterfeit Alcohol Possibly Behind String of Deaths in DR
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 10:22:58 AM »
47 Jimmy Buffett Fans Get Violently Sick On Group Trip to Dominican Republic

Flowers claims that everyone who grew ill in his group either swam in one specific pool or drank at the swim-up bar. When members of the group sought treatment from the on-site doctor, Flowers claims, ”Most of them got an IV, then were prescribed a medicine for parasites. [They] didn’t do any testing, they just automatically gave them medicine for parasites.”

He says after returning home from the trip, two members of his group tested positive for salmonella.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/47-jimmy-buffett-fans-get-violently-sick-on-group-trip-to-dominican-republic/ar-AAD0NhV?fbclid=IwAR2hU-RxID2bSH6IFBzy7NDsO4ZA1k-lbW6LdqBq9czsR7pfsHgtMnQExHU#page=2

They're lucky that they are still alive tho!

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Counterfeit Alcohol Possibly Behind String of Deaths in DR
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 11:11:11 AM »
A lot of us who grew up in Atlanta in the days when it was known as the moonshine capital of the world figured that was what it was.
In one weekend in Atlanta over 50 people died and 200 went blind after drinking from the same bad batch. There was a song, "I don't want any of Fat Hardy's Tardy at My Party" based on it. He was the hillbilly producer. He claimed he had drunk some of it himself and nothing was wrong with it. I think he got time for manslaughter. I would go to "poor black Haiti any day before I would go to the Dominican Republic on the same island. I feel for all of the victims but noted that at least three appear to have been black. If you are trying to patronize your own kind, go to any other Caribbean country. Don't even think think of the Dominium Republic as being black. Once you leave the United State in most places you are not black. You are just a American and you have to learn to think that way. Go where they treat you with respect as long as you have the dollars.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News