News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: The Creator of the Internet Was A Black Man Named Philip Emeagwali – Google Conf  (Read 139 times)

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
The Creator of the Internet Was A Black Man Named Philip Emeagwali – Google Confirms

https://www.nubianplanet.com/the-creator-of-the-internet-was-a-black-man-named-philip-emeagwali-google-confirms/

And Nana an'nem broke it.  :lol:

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Ok, now black folk have created the internet also.

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
Ok, now black folk have created the internet also.

Why not?

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
Well, Cap. Are you going to explain why you doubt your own people??

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
He's trying to think of a word salad.

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
This is, quite literally, an insane statement.

Emeagwali was born in 1954.

First message sent between Stanford and UCLA was sent in October 1969:

Emeagwali, at this time was serving as a child soldier in the middle of a Civil war in Nigeria.

Unless the smartest people in the world were traveling to West Africa to find kids killing each other to solve the issue of Computer Networks, then it wouldnt be possible. :lol: :lol: :lol:

He won a prize in parallel computing using architecture, in 1989, that was never ever used for Mass connectivity in America because, in the UK, the World Wide Web was developed.

In fact look into the 80's, when the foundation of the computer networks were widespread in north america:

In 1984 not a single HBCU is part of the network.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I don't doubt my people at all. It's just kind of funny how black folk will hang our hats on the least little bit of black participation and then claim it all for ourselves. But I will give M&G credit for the word salad.

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
I don't doubt my people at all. It's just kind of funny how black folk will hang our hats on the least little bit of black participation and then claim it all for ourselves. But I will give M&G credit for the word salad.

It comes from an inferiority complex. You see it with the people claiming Africans were doing transatlantic travel before a written language. You have it with people claiming random things in the ancient past too, and now it expands to recent history

This has one problem though:

The development of computer networks is WELL documented.

and the team responsible for developing the world wide web standard:

This isnt ancient history.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile

It comes from an inferiority complex. You see it with the people claiming Africans were doing transatlantic travel before a written language. You have it with people claiming random things in the ancient past too, and now it expands to recent history

This has one problem though:

The development of computer networks is WELL documented.

and the team responsible for developing the world wide web standard:

This isnt ancient history.

After that sensational click bait worthy title, nublinaplanet included this little nugget later in the article...

It’s hard to say who invented the Internet. There were many mathematicians and scientists who contributed to its development; computers were sending signals to each other as early as the 1950s. But the Web owes much of its existence to Philip Emeagwali, a math whiz who came up with the formula for allowing a large number of computers to communicate at once.

It would have been more credible to have the article reflect this.  I understand this type of reporting is common. My frustration is not only with nubian, but with all media for doing it. You are pushing a narrative that is not complete.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
so it's not reasonable to think that Emeagwali help refine what the good, almighty white folk had already in place?  Yes the title was click bait but was the article inaccurate?

Some folk just luv them some whitey.   ::)

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
so it's not reasonable to think that Emeagwali help refine what the good, almighty white folk had already in place?  Yes the title was click bait but was the article inaccurate?

At least you admitted it was click bait. I won't even bother to admonish you on your racist 'whitey' remark.

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile

It didnt refine the "internet" because the internet as we know it was not based on supercomputing, much less what his project did.

This guy won an ACM competition which was NEVER implemented in mass like the vast majority of every other ACM prizes because its done by students just looking to have fun and gain research experience for grad school and to get professor jobs. In fact, he did nothing else with it afterwards. It was such a failure that he FLUNKED OUT of his PHD program by trying to use that research in place of having to apply for graduate examinations and the dissertation afterwards. They laughed him out of the room, and he dropped out when they told him he would have to actually do some more work to become a doctor.

You can actually see his appeal here:
https://law.justia.com/cases/michigan/court-of-appeals-unpublished/1999/19991029-c209841-0058-209841-opn.html

He's no different from the Nigerian "Prince" trying to get your money on the internet.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News