News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: A serious question for the posters on here....  (Read 257 times)

Offline BrotherWiregrass

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: A serious question for the posters on here....
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2019, 06:59:09 PM »
  killings, rapes, assaults, gangs, drug dealers, homeless people, liquor stores, predatory lenders, renegade police officers, unemployment/low wage jobs, and unwed pregnancies 

Now, why does take place in ever inner-city? I can go to Birmingham, Montgomery, and Mobile, and see the same thing.  Again, we need to do a better job of understanding economics.

Again, when a city have only 10,000 people, and forty churches. Yes, that picture doesn't look to good.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2019, 07:02:59 PM »
There you go thinking again. 

You’re a joke.

Offline BrotherWiregrass

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2019, 07:06:52 PM »
I see. I'm heading down a slippy slope.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2019, 07:08:17 PM »
  killings, rapes, assaults, gangs, drug dealers, homeless people, liquor stores, predatory lenders, renegade police officers, unemployment/low wage jobs, and unwed pregnancies 

Now, why does take place in ever inner-city? I can go to Birmingham, Montgomery, and Mobile, and see the same thing.  Again, we need to do a better job of understanding economics.

Again, when a city have only 10,000 people, and forty churches. Yes, that picture doesn't look to good.

I guess you can’t walk and chew gum at the same time.

You can also be in church, but not part of it.  What do you have to say about those people?

If religion isn’t your thing fine, but unnecessary to trash their beliefs.

Online Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2019, 07:13:45 PM »

Huh!!  :shrug:  Why not good lookin about it?  Again, what does having an abundance of churches have to do with understanding economics?

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2019, 07:22:34 PM »
Are you defining the church as a building or a group of people who come together for a common spiritual cause or goal? ???

Offline BrotherWiregrass

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2019, 07:25:37 PM »

Huh!!  :shrug:  Why not good lookin about it?  Again, what does having an abundance of churches have to do with understanding economics?

Curious question? My question was, Do we have too many churches in our respective communities?  Que82 came with a answer, and I gave a reply.

But, since, we are on the topics of economics. How much of the money given on Sunday is recycled back  into the community? I have seen people take their bill money, and put in the collection plate.

Online Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2019, 07:32:16 PM »
Curious question? My question was, Do we have too many churches in our respective communities?  Que82 came with a answer, and I gave a reply.

But, since, we are on the topics of economics. How much of the money given on Sunday is recycled back  into the community? I have seen people take their bill money, and put in the collection plate.

You brought up economics in your second post in this thread. I don't know how much money is recycled back into the community, and I don't think people putting their bill money in the collection plate is a wide spread practice.

No, I don't think there are too many churches in the Black American communities.

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2019, 07:48:42 PM »
BW, I'm not sure about other church groups, but our church adopted the undeserved under resourced community of Ft. Pierce, FL. We partner with other churches and organizations in the community to feed and cloth the homeless, medical assistance and education for those who need it, and youth outreach with a program called END-IT (Everybody Not Doing It). We provide monetary support and physical support through volunteering. We are a non-religious non-denominational non-traditional church group teaching chapter-by-chapter book-by-book. We don't pass a collection plate. Your giving is between you and God. We don't have membership rolls where you HAVE to join. You're a member if you show up for services. We have several ministries headed by ordained pastors that serve various functions. We have no bishops, Reverends, right Reverends, preachers, deacons, or deaconesses.

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2019, 11:47:46 PM »
No I do not think we have to many churches.  To many stores that sell alcohol maybe, but not churches. 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2019, 12:49:20 AM »

I can't speak for all churches but I can speak for mine.  We do a lot for the community which is why our church grew from about 400 in 1991 to over 6000 now.  We spend about 7k a month helping people with their utility.  We provide groceries for over 100 families a week from our food pantry.  We own about 13 housed in the neighborhood that we maintain and rent to needed families who pay between 150 -300 dollars a month (no utilities).  We give about 16k to Benedict and 12k to Morris College annually.  We paid/pay taxes on elderly persons home when they can't so the city won't foreclose on their home.  We support a church in Africa.  We serve breakfast every Sunday morning and no one is turned away.  On MLK day we drive the bus and pick up the homeless, have a formal meal for them with real china because they are our "special guest, provide them with free hair cuts/styles, free clothes and free heath checkups.  We do minor repairs for elderly homes owners, build handicap ramps and cut grass free of charge.  That's just to name a few.  We are not a begging church, we don't sell diners or wash cars and we don't ask people neglect their homes for the church.  We are totally transparent and have a professional audit by a CPA annually. So I guess as someone stated if our doors close we might be missed. 
Never discuss cheese with a rat, bread with a bird or make moves with a snake.

Lord, remove the front teeth of my enemies so I can know them by their smile.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2019, 03:16:40 AM »
When  your historic churches are closing because of declining membership, and the community is dotted with tiny churches with a hand full of members, I would say the answer is yes. Church has become fashionable fad for many people. It's about the flash, -the show. If it were about god, those people would attend one of the established churches struggling to stay open and focus on their religious growth.  But in today's society, it's about th good looking preacher, who can dance across the stage, and spin words better than a Maytag on the final cycle.  Then there is the  flashy choir, who's angelic sound  can cause the angels to asend from heaven. For some it the  cathedral with the sound and lights that could put any performing arts center to shame.

Everybody wants to be a preacher these days because they know that is where the money is. All you have to do is gather a few  black folk together and call yourself a man of god, and they will automatically throw money at your feet and won't even question what you are doing with it.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2019, 07:53:32 AM »
what historic church is closing?

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2019, 08:07:36 AM »

It seems most have declining membership. It's all about the new,  flashy  with the good entertainment. There is nothing wrong with that if that is what you are into, but folk should stop lying by saying god is their motivation for being there. If that were the case, why do people jump ship and change churches the moment they get mad at someone? You are not supposed to be there for man. I can understand leaving if you don't like the interpretation of the scripture, but all that other stuff is pure foolishness.

If it is not for the pursuit of wealth, all those little churches springing up are because of people not  get along with one another at another church.

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2019, 09:37:44 AM »

It seems most have declining membership. It's all about the new,  flashy  with the good entertainment. There is nothing wrong with that if that is what you are into, but folk should stop lying by saying god is their motivation for being there. If that were the case, why do people jump ship and change churches the moment they get mad at someone? You are not supposed to be there for man. I can understand leaving if you don't like the interpretation of the scripture, but all that other stuff is pure foolishness.

If it is not for the pursuit of wealth, all those little churches springing up are because of people not  get along with one another at another church.
How would you know???? You don't go to any church historic or shiny entertainment. ::)  People are fickle just like you and the other Onnidan church haters. Some are good and some are bad.  Y'all are all about live and let live unless it involves church folk.  You are against judging gays, transgenders and whoever else is you flavor of the month but bring up the church and all the gavels come out.  Some Onnidan folks are some of the biggest hypocrites in the world.  ::)  Has anyone else ever noticed that the church haters on here never have anything positive to say about the church and paint all with the same broad brush????? That's why anytime Capler and a few others make a statement about the church its goes in one ear and straight out the other. ::) 
Never discuss cheese with a rat, bread with a bird or make moves with a snake.

Lord, remove the front teeth of my enemies so I can know them by their smile.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News