News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Saint Augustine’s University, Shaw University to Share Use of Football Field  (Read 1103 times)

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Saint Augustine’s University, Shaw University to Share Use of Football Field

Saint Augustine’s University and Shaw University announced an agreement that will allow both the Saint Augustine’s Falcons and the Shaw Bears to play their home football games at the George Williams Athletic Complex on Saint Augustine’s campus. For the past 12 seasons, the Bears have played home games at the Durham County Memorial Stadium in Durham, NC.

https://www.shawu.edu/Archives/2019/St__Aug_and_Shaw_U_to_Share_Use_of_Football_Field/

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I guess the plan is when St Aug is home Shaw has to schedule away and vice versa. Doesn't seem like a lot of flexibility but It probably beats getting raped by Durham. :shrug:
Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
One can play in the afternoon. One can play at night.

They can play each other for Homecoming.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Not sure I want to play in the mess of the early game.  You know how slack we get about cleaning up our venues right away  :shrug: and who absorbs that cost?
Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Offline Warpaint

• Veteran
    • View Profile

Does that stadium even have lights?  If not, then the two games a day would be a no go.

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile

Does that stadium even have lights?  If not, then the two games a day would be a no go.

I didn't see any lights when I googled the stadium,,,,,,
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline Platinum_Sound

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
No DH's are scheduled.
Shaw University - 61 CIAA Championships

2012 NCAA Women's Division II Basketball NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.

Shaw University Platinum Sound Marching Band 2008 Honda Battle of the Bands Participant.

Offline MilesBear1

• Assistant GM
  • Mr.SIAC/Mr.SWAC
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MilesGoldenBears.com
What's the reason for not playing at Durham County Stadium? My next question are their any plans for Shaw to have their own Stadium?
"The Bears Den" and "The ASU Hornets Hive",WSSU
"CME Bowl Champions for Life"
Steel City Classic Champions:01,02,03,05,06
2004 Alabama State University SWAC Champs
2007 Football Attendance Champs
2011,2013,2015,2018,19 SIAC West Div.FB Champs
2011,2015-19 SIAC FB Champs
2011 Pioneer Bowl

Offline Platinum_Sound

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
What's the reason for not playing at Durham County Stadium? My next question are their any plans for Shaw to have their own Stadium?

1. It's it Durham . We discussed years ago how far the stadium was from campus. Students and alums wanted the games back in Raleigh. And it also cuts cost. (Stadium rental, busses, etc)

2. There are a few things on the table....but priorities first.

Shaw University Platinum Sound Marching Band 2008 Honda Battle of the Bands Participant.

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

I would think that they want to play in Raleigh instead of Durham.

I don't think there are any capital funds for athletic facilities.

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
It makes sense, fiscally and common sense-wise, for Shaw to share the stadium with St. Aug. If the stadium had lights, both teams could have home games, day and night, so scheduling would not be an issue.
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Durham County Stadium Stadium is a nice facility. If I am not mistaken, only one local high school regularly places there however. The others play on their campuses.  Plenty of parking and other activities held on the stadium grounds. I doubt if Shaw was overcharged. It simply makes sense for them to play their home games in Raleigh.

Offline Oldschoolram

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Good move.  I was wondering (a)when Shaw would get tired of Durham,(b) could they really work it out with St. Aug?

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
This arrangement may motivate some donors to fund a stadium for Shaw.

Offline Platinum_Sound

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
This arrangement may motivate some donors to fund a stadium for Shaw.

HELLO!!!!

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News

Support Onnidan

Support the Fan Forum

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support.

The pandemic has financial consequences, especially for Black-owned businesses. Ad revenue is shrinking so we are asking you directly for your financial support. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan or process your donation through Square