News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Best Prom Pic I've ever seen  (Read 655 times)

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
Re: Best Prom Pic I've ever seen
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2019, 08:48:10 AM »
:brickwall:   Post a thread on a meme that's obviously staged and referring to an old joke and its an issue.  Post a thread about police actually shoots a mentally ill woman and crickets.  What the heyal is really going on on Onnidan. :shrug: :crazy: :tiptoe:

Que82, I've noticed in the past that drama threads get more responses and posts than anything legit that's posted.  :shrug:

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2019, 09:34:08 AM »
1.  The story about the mentally ill person was posted about two hours ago - many have not had a chance to respond yet.

2.  Some people choose not to discuss depressing stuff.  It’s their prerogative  :shrug:

2.  Sh@t like that is probably why they don’t find the old joke  that funny anymore. 

Anytime I see a pic like that one I think of the Ad Brian Kemp ran last year with that boy and that gun like someone really wants one of those mud ducks he calls daughters.  Toting that gun  and is probably softer than wet tissue paper.  ::)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 09:46:17 AM by Valley Girl »
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline Bearforlife

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2019, 11:18:02 AM »
I get the old joke. It's still not funny. It actually is just foolish. Why would you want to keep all the boys away from your daughter? Who kept you away from her momma? Like it's just foolish and it's still not funny. That doesn't mean that I don't get it. And it has nothing to do with age. My parents are in their late 70s. I was raised by older people! Not to mention, I'm the only girl child my parents had and not one person's son had a gun drawn on them when they came to pick me up for a date  :shrug: . My dad doesn't even own guns.

And I can have thoughts about several things at once. Guns shouldn't be drawn in jest. They also shouldn't be drawn to threaten someone about your kid. If it's that bad YOU drive her to the prom.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2019, 01:26:37 PM »

2.  Some people choose not to discuss depressing stuff.  It’s their prerogative  :shrug:

That is true to some degree for me. I don't mind discussing those things if there is a plan of action. All too often black folk will come together and talk about what white folk have done, but once the conversation ends, our concern ends.  Those of you who throw those police stories up, what exactly are you doing to change the situation? Do you attend your neighborhood association meetings to discuss it? Do you have meetings with the officers who patrol your area? Do you go over and talk to your local patrol officer when you see them parked in your neighborhood?  :shrug:

If you are so outraged by the stuff you read online and are so compelled to post it, tell us also about the things you are doing to bring change. Here are a couple things i did this week alone.  I talked to neighborhood association about two homicides that occurred in town this week. We are looking for ways to condemn the property where those fools live since several folk have been shot there. The city has gotten funding for a pilot program to deal with gang violence. I plan to volunteer  my time when it is up and running.

I also stopped by the nearby towing company because those good ole boy drives use our  neighborhood as a short cut on the way to accidents. They travel over 60 miles an hour on a residential street. Why do tow truck need to rush to an accident anyway? 

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2019, 01:45:29 PM »
I get the old joke. It's still not funny. It actually is just foolish. Why would you want to keep all the boys away from your daughter? Who kept you away from her momma? Like it's just foolish and it's still not funny. That doesn't mean that I don't get it. And it has nothing to do with age. My parents are in their late 70s. I was raised by older people! Not to mention, I'm the only girl child my parents had and not one person's son had a gun drawn on them when they came to pick me up for a date  :shrug: . My dad doesn't even own guns.

And I can have thoughts about several things at once. Guns shouldn't be drawn in jest. They also shouldn't be drawn to threaten someone about your kid. If it's that bad YOU drive her to the prom.

It's a very old practice that haa out lived it's time. For most of us, it is a joke. But I can see how Oue's actions could encourage a cave dweller in the same way white nationalist are set in motion by what they see on the web and read on blogs.

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2019, 02:50:05 PM »
Where did someone have a gun drawn on them in that picture????  Who threaten anyone????  I get the fact that some people have issues but geesh that picture  ain't that serious. :no: If y'all had some childhood trauma about prom or guns I'm sorry.   But in the future maybe you shouldn't read the threads I start cause I post what I like and its hard not to offend every personality on Onnidan.  :shrug:  That's all I can do.
Never discuss cheese with a rat, bread with a bird or make moves with a snake.

Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2019, 02:53:39 PM »

It's a very old practice that haa out lived it's time. For most of us, it is a joke. But I can see how Oue's actions could encourage a cave dweller in the same way white nationalist are set in motion by what they see on the web and read on blogs.
What a flip flopping attention seeking a** . :no:

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2019, 03:00:35 PM »
1.  The story about the mentally ill person was posted about two hours ago - many have not had a chance to respond yet. I wasn't speaking literally about that one thread.

2.  Some people choose not to discuss depressing stuff.  It’s their prerogative  :shrug:So if this thread was that inappropriate why not keep it moving like on the depressing one?????

2.  Sh@t like that is probably why they don’t find the old joke  that funny anymore.  So why not don't laugh and keep it moving

Anytime I see a pic like that one I think of the Ad Brian Kemp ran last year with that boy and that gun like someone really wants one of those mud ducks he calls daughters.  Toting that gun  and is probably softer than wet tissue paper.  ::)
Not arguing just confused. This too shall pass. :kisses: :hugs:

Offline Bearforlife

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2019, 03:14:51 PM »
Where did someone have a gun drawn on them in that picture????  Who threaten anyone????  I get the fact that some people have issues but geesh that picture  ain't that serious. :no: If y'all had some childhood trauma about prom or guns I'm sorry.   But in the future maybe you shouldn't read the threads I start cause I post what I like and its hard not to offend every personality on Onnidan.  :shrug:  That's all I can do.

I actually had an amazing childhood and I don't have any trauma around anything to be perfectly honest.

When you post, is it not for discussion? Quite often I've read your posts and/or comments and agreed with you. But when posting all people aren't going to agree with you, me or anyone else who creates a post. My opinion is not an affront to you for posting but simply my comment/opinion. And the threat is implicit.

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2019, 03:27:54 PM »

I actually had an amazing childhood and I don't have any trauma around anything to be perfectly honest.

When you post, is it not for discussion? Quite often I've read your posts and/or comments and agreed with you. But when posting all people aren't going to agree with you, me or anyone else who creates a post. My opinion is not an affront to you for posting but simply my comment/opinion. And the threat is implicit.
My threads are always open for discussion otherwise they would be locked.  Just from the tone of your previous posts I must say I was caught off guard.  I don't ever expect everyone to agree with me or always think what I post is funny.  However you previous post seemed take this thread to a place I had no intention for it to go.  As I said maybe its generational thing so we can agree to disagree, just like I disagree that there is a real implied threat. :shrug:  However I respect your right to have that opinion and did not see it as an affront to me.  As I also said I'm not arguing just confused.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2019, 05:22:34 PM »

What a flip flopping attention seeking a** . :no:

You mad, what did I do this time?  :shrug:

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2019, 05:28:18 PM »
I never said the thread was inappropriate.  Just voiced my opinion that’s all. 
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2019, 07:14:57 PM »
I never said the thread was inappropriate.  Just voiced my opinion that’s all.
We good!

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2019, 06:49:59 PM »
People that have a serious problem with that photo want their daughter to have a f*cling good time.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Devin

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2019, 08:27:56 PM »
I could see why that picture, even if it was intended to be light-hearted is problematic.

Black men are already viewed as disposable violent, toxic thugs whose lives are of little value to society.

It also perpetuates the stereotype that young black men are these sexual deviants who need to be feared and threatened with violence.

No need for another black man to go there.

In this day in age with police and other institutions using violence to justify our deaths, photos like that aren't funny.     

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News