News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Low academic rates cause post season penalties  (Read 559 times)

Offline MilesBear1

• Assistant GM
  • Mr. S.I.A.C./Mr. S.W.A.C.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MilesGoldenBears.com
Low academic rates cause post season penalties
« on: May 10, 2019, 11:57:58 AM »
Low academic rates cause lost postseason, penalties
Eight teams to face postseason ban
May 8, 2019 1:00pm by Michelle Brutlag Hosick

In 2019-20, eight teams will be ineligible for the postseason due to their low Academic Progress Rates, down from 17 teams last year.

Also in the next academic year, 20 teams at 12 schools will take penalties for not meeting the minimum academic standard set by member schools. Most of the teams ineligible for postseason play also are among those subject to penalties. In 2018-19, 12 teams were subject to penalties.

To compete in the 2019-20 postseason, teams must achieve a 930 four-year APR. NCAA members chose the 930 standard because that score predicts, on average, a 50 percent graduation rate for a given team. Additionally, teams must earn at least a 930 four-year APR to avoid penalties.

Teams scoring below 930 can face consequences intended to direct additional focus to academics. Those penalties can include practice restrictions and playing-season reductions, allowing teams to fill the time that would have been spent on athletics with academic activities.

The Academic Performance Program penalty structure includes three levels, with penalties increasing in severity at each level. Schools move through the penalty structure each year, progressing to the next level of severity if their multiyear APR remains below the benchmarks.

The Division I Committee on Academics has implemented programs and policies to help schools support their student-athletes academically.

The committee has supported HBCUs and limited-resource schools by allowing teams that meet specific criteria to avoid penalties in some circumstances. For example, HBCU and limited-resource teams historically avoided penalties by showing both improvement and a graduation rate that exceeds that of the student body at the school. That separate standard remains available, but a team cannot use it every year. The committee limited its use to spur schools to continue to work toward academic achievement.

Additionally, the national office provides educational initiatives to help limited-resource schools offer additional academic support to student-athletes. Since 2012, the Accelerating Academic Success Program has awarded more than $16 million to assist schools in developing and supporting academic programs that help student-athletes earn their degrees.

Schools may request a waiver from some or all penalty elements. Waivers are overseen by the Committee on Academics.

The specific penalties for each team are listed on the school’s report in the APR searchable database.

Postseason ineligibility

Alabama A&M: baseball, men’s track and field.
Arkansas-Pine Bluff: men’s golf.
Charleston Southern: men’s golf.
Detroit Mercy: men’s basketball.
Grambling: men’s track and field.
Savannah State*: baseball, football
Level One Penalties
Alabama A&M: women’s track and field.
Arkansas-Pine Bluff: men’s golf.
California State University, Northridge: men’s basketball
Charleston Southern: men’s golf.
Coppin State: softball, women’s cross country, women’s track and field.
Delaware State: football, men’s basketball.
Detroit Mercy: men’s basketball.
Nicholls State: women’s cross country.
Savannah State*: women’s cross country, women’s track and field.
Level Two Penalties
Alabama A&M: baseball, men’s track and field.
Gardner-Webb: men’s track and field.
Grambling: men’s track and field.
Howard: football.
Savannah State*: baseball, football.
* Savannah State is in the process of moving to Division II.

"The Bears Den" and "The ASU Hornets Hive", WSSU
"CME Bowl Champions for Life"
Steel City Classic Champions 01,02,03,05,06
2004 Alabama State University SWAC Champs
2007 Football Attendance Champs
2011,2013,2015 SIAC West Div. Football Champions
2011,2015 SIAC Football Champs
2011 Pioneer Bow

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
Re: Low academic rates cause post season penalties
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 12:41:01 PM »
Interesting....

Offline InTheHunt

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 09:44:31 PM »
Del State football & men’s basketball....

Howard football.....interesting...

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 09:59:12 PM »
This doesn’t look good at all

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 12:11:22 PM »
We are rivals on the field but I think it is time for the Conferences to facilitate the sharing of best practices in working with college athletes academically.

It presents a bad image for all HBCUs.

Offline ghostwriter

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 02:11:04 PM »
They do

But it’s about access to funds to staff better and in some cases right majors to put folks in

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 03:53:25 PM »
They do

But it’s about access to funds to staff better and in some cases right majors to put folks in

I don't really understand, but I've never worked in an athletic department either.

Offline InTheHunt

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 05:39:47 PM »
They do

I don't really understand, but I've never worked in an athletic department either.

I wouldn't say funding, maybe priority funding. Del State and Howard are 2 of the better funded athletics departments.

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 05:32:15 AM »
They do

I wouldn't say funding, maybe priority funding. Del State and Howard are 2 of the better funded

Does anyone know if the NCAA can mandate minimums is support staff hires. I just don’t understand how for nearly two decades this has been the measuring stick and it seems like the same schools continue to be in the same problems each time a report is released.

Each school has there own set of challenges. Delaware State actually has a really good set up with athletic support and the numbers a as a department have mirrored their school and advanced over the years. But theymay be recruiting a large number of at-risk athletes.

When it comes to Howard. The challenges are different where there are less at-risk students but the less support staff listed on-line for a school that sponsors a larger number of students. And with being in an extremely expensive metropolitan market with aging facilities employing and retaining support staff looks to be a challenge there.

Offline InTheHunt

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 10:39:48 AM »
They do

I wouldn't say funding, maybe priority funding. Del State and Howard are 2 of the better funded

Does anyone know if the NCAA can mandate minimums is support staff hires. I just don’t understand how for nearly two decades this has been the measuring stick and it seems like the same schools continue to be in the same problems each time a report is released.

Each school has there own set of challenges. Delaware State actually has a really good set up with athletic support and the numbers a as a department have mirrored their school and advanced over the years. But theymay be recruiting a large number of at-risk athletes.

When it comes to Howard. The challenges are different where there are less at-risk students but the less support staff listed on-line for a school that sponsors a larger number of students. And with being in an extremely expensive metropolitan market with aging facilities employing and retaining support staff looks to be a challenge there.

Howard is throwing money away at these new coaches though...

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 01:20:10 PM »
 :shrug:

There should be an App for this stuff by now.

When I retire from teaching, I might go into compliance.

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 11:47:12 AM »
We are rivals on the field but I think it is time for the Conferences to facilitate the sharing of best practices in working with college athletes academically.

It presents a bad image for all HBCUs.

Exactly and our conference should be doing more to keep all schools eligible

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 12:32:24 PM »

a lot of apr problems are caused by "who hbcu's recruit".  we have to recruit more athletes who are "academically inclined" and shy away from those who are not...

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 12:46:05 PM »
Curious to get thoughts on the role of the conference vs actions of the individual institutions to remedy this. Plus, if I see a school/program that’s doing it right and better than I, I will reach out to get a better feel for their success model. Is this not happening in some cases? It looked like some of our programs were repeat offenders in multiple sports.

Offline Blue N Gold

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 04:22:27 PM »
We also have to be honest with ourselves as well. Too many of our black male athletes are just lazy as hell when it comes to academics. Guys coming from the Caribbean and Africa do very well, most of them. But American black males  still have their priorities in the wrong place. :no: :dedhorse:

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News