News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs  (Read 249 times)

Offline Platinum_Sound

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs
« on: April 25, 2019, 09:31:54 AM »
Any hockey fans here? What a crazy first round. Go Canes!!!  :clap: :clap: :clap:
Shaw University - 61 CIAA Championships

2012 NCAA Women's Division II Basketball NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.

Shaw University Platinum Sound Marching Band 2008 Honda Battle of the Bands Participant.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 10:09:02 AM »
not a 'fan' but will watch the playoffs if Rangers, Islanders or Canes are playing.

I thought the Canes were toast when they were down 3-1 after 2nd period. Went back to watching the MLB baseball game. To my surprise when I checked by in, they had tied the game.

Watched most of the OT periods, but actually missed the winning goal (nature call  :tongue2:) Saw the replay.

Offline Platinum_Sound

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 10:32:48 AM »
not a 'fan' but will watch the playoffs if Rangers, Islanders or Canes are playing.

I thought the Canes were toast when they were down 3-1 after 2nd period. Went back to watching the MLB baseball game. To my surprise when I checked by in, they had tied the game.

Watched most of the OT periods, but actually missed the winning goal (nature call  :tongue2:) Saw the replay.

This Canes team is different than others. They play until the last horn. How about all of the wild card teams advancing past the first round. No division winners left. Both top seeds and the defending champs are GONE!!!

Shaw University Platinum Sound Marching Band 2008 Honda Battle of the Bands Participant.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 12:33:11 PM »
WoW didn't know that.  :o

but like I said I don't keep up with the sport.

Offline Platinum_Sound

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 02:29:06 PM »
WoW didn't know that.  :o

but like I said I don't keep up with the sport.

Understandable LOL.

Follow the Canes on this run.

Offline Oldschoolram

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 08:03:51 PM »
Have to go for the Canes since they put my team out.

Offline Onnidan Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Onnidan's HBCU Sports
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 10:06:17 PM »
Canes swept the Islanders and await the winner of Columbus vs. Boston for the Eastern Conference title.
=OW=

Offline Oldschoolram

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 11:37:05 AM »
Wanted to come check them out but the $$$$$ are up there. Some friends of mine have been hockey fans since the 60s.

Ironically 4 of the 6 in our kids table hockey league went to Carolina.  They used to hustle the white guys. I went down a couple of times and got some of that.   ;D  And one of them has bought a new version so........................

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • TigerPride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 02:37:41 PM »
Any hockey fans here? What a crazy first round. Go Canes!!!  :clap: :clap: :clap:

YES, INDEED!   :nod: Since we lost our 2nd nhl team, I pull for several favorites. I don't have a favorite still competing so I will just say GO, CANES for the hell of it! 
;D

Offline Platinum_Sound

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 03:12:56 PM »

YES, INDEED!   :nod: Since we lost our 2nd nhl team, I pull for several favorites. I don't have a favorite still competing so I will just say GO, CANES for the hell of it! 
;D

Why hasn't hockey worked in ATL?

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • TigerPride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 07:26:02 PM »

;D

Why hasn't hockey worked in ATL?

First nhl team we had was the Atlanta Flames left in 1980 for Calgary. I had always heard it was some shadiness going on with the owner at that time, something about a pension scandal and the other owners wanted the majority owner OUT of the picture. Its a wonder he didn't end up with concrete shoes....politics politics politics.   ::)

Enter....the IHL Atlanta Knights, they even won the Turner Cup, the IHL's version of the Stanley Cup.  Heyal, Atlanta's ONLY Championship Sports team. They left in 1994, I forgot why. And the IHL merged with another semi-pro league.

Then enter in.. *tada* the Atlanta Thrashers our 2nd NHL team...the team was sold to AOL Time Warner who eventually sold the Thrashers to a group who was only interested in the Hawks and rights to the Phillips Arena [now State Farm arena]. And OFF the Thrashers went to Winnipeg to become the Jets.  ::)

There are lot of little details that you can google and read up on.

Altho the Thrashers were NO championship team, I did take pride in the fact that we were one of the few teams with several Black players - at one time up to 5 in a league that is predominantly white [altho Blacks started hockey].

Most will just say 'hockey doesn't work in the south' but that is an ill-informed lie. Teams still exist all over the south. There is always more to the story than what folks see..

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • TigerPride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 07:30:09 PM »
BTW, we still have a pro hockey team altho they are in the minor leagues.  The Atlanta Gladiators started out as the Gwinnett Gladiators and play in the Gwinnett arena which is a pretty nice arena...but..it isn't in Atlanta  ::) ...but, I digress.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News